Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tabernas Desert

Thanks Steve. Looks like this could be a nice trip over 3 weeks down center of france and East coast of Spain then back up West coast of france.

How long would you need to be there to get a good look around?

The desert is only small, (in comparison to spain!) But the rest of that area is worth a look - we will go back when we can to do a bit more

Sent from my GT-I9060I using Tapatalk

Chris: thanks for the compliment re our 40!

Steve: We were thinking that if a few members decided that they wanted to make the trip that this campsite would be a good base. You've stayed there, what do you think (apart from the noisy dogs)?

Stumog: September is still going to be hot - high 30s and in the desert even higher. There is a lot to see and enjoy in the area - Cabo de Gata, Almeria, various mountain ranges and so on. We prefer to use the old roads rather than m/ways (although you can now go from Calais to Gibraltar all the way on motorways) because there is so much to see.

Recently we've been planning a route for a couple of friends to ride down here on hired Harleys from Madrid - 7 days riding and once they are out of Madrid the route only has 47 kms of motorway but does have three mountain ranges, several national parks, and passes numerous lakes and avoids all the major towns. The LR clubs that go to north Africa tend to go from Santander to Algerceras and back by motorway, but then I guess it is easier for the recovery trucks to find them, but to me the motorways are not the way to see the country.

Supposedly there is a trail route from the foothills of the Pyrennes that comes about two-thirds of the way down the country and I am currently trying to get more information. Wikilocs doesn't seem to show it but I gather it is on one of the bike sites so I am still searching.

More anon....

Regards,

Roger please keep updated as been talking alot this weekend and some.details of nice roads to take and places to see. We have 3 weeks to travel from the UK. We are thinking of around 2-300 miles a day so to keep oit daughter from being to bored that way it works out 7 days down and back with 7 days in southern Spain or a few 2 day stops on the places.

The LR clubs that go to north Africa tend to go from Santander to Algerceras and back by motorway, but then I guess it is easier for the recovery trucks to find them.

laughing-019.gif

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Camp site was very quiet (when we were there) just us and the care taker for 3 days then a French Family of 12 arrived squeezed in a motor home! Small shower block 3 bogs and 4 showers for each ladies & gents, swimming pool (not as well looked after as the 35 I have :) ) outside washing up sinks etc basic but good enough :)
Its in an olive grove with mud base, no grass. Fine if its hot and sunny, messy if its not - we bought an extra ground sheet to help outside tent. Would I stay again? yes I would.

Steve: Thanks for the info re the campsite. We'll have a look at the different possibilities for trails with that as a base camp. The sites nearer to the sea, around Cabo de Gata, are much more commercial but there are some interesting areas to be explored down there and it isn't too far to the coast.

Stumog: I can certainly make some suggestions re routes. Do I assume that you are camping and how old is your daughter? The seaside is quite near to the area and there are some campsites/areas with many things for little children and others that cater for the older ones. 2-300 miles a day is reasonable on the back roads as in the mountains they are very twisty with some big climbs, we usually work on 200 miles a day but then our 40 is somewhat older and has few creature comforts. Are you interested in some of the old towns and/or the national parks and so on. Let me know, please. If you are coming down through France you could take one of the routes over the Pyrennes (possibly through Andorra) and miss the industrial north-east of Spain, unless you specifically want to visit Barcelona but then you are probably better camping at one of the nearby seaside towns and getting the train in.

Regards,

Do you want to do some moderate trails on the way down through Spain or stay on paved roads? If you are coming down the Atlantic side of France then the E7 (Pau) and through the tunnel avoids the truck heavy routes and the industrial areas.

Cheers

The plan so far is to travel down through mid France then along the coast of Spain I don't want to do big cities like to look around as many old towns and the national parks as possible.

Our daughter will be just over 2 then so I am a bit worried of her being strapped in the car allday.

Like to see some nice beaches as well.

We will return through mid Spain the up the west coast of france. Would like to go through Andorra and see what's it's like in summer.

Thanks
Stu

Wonderful trails and rock formation Rodger!

+1 on that, and Chris' comments on Rodger's 40. It's a beauty, the best example of the best looking shape Mr T has ever come up with.

A truck to be proud of Rodger, and I'm sure you are :thumbup:

Thanks for the comments re our truck - she's definitely a part of the family although there are still a load of jobs that need doing but then it only takes time and money!
The scenery around the desert is stunning and seems to change round every turn.

I am starting planning some suggestions for Stu's trip down which will include some moderate trails and that may help if some of you want to make the trip. It will take longer than the 1000 miles by motorway but would be far more interesting. I'll only be looking at Spain but maybe Steve would have some thoughts regarding France.

Regards,

If only I could! Just on the starting line re tracks etc - Mark (Mblinko ) might have a better idea as he did a trip through Pyrenees
last year, on his way to spain (sorry Mark!) :) We plan to do something like wot he did this year...............later in season though as we have a living to earn :(

Last edited:
We are going to be leaving at the earliest the last week in September till mid October I expect. Gutted to miss the overland show but I am sure this will be.much better.

yes, we went through the Pyrenees (France, Andorra, Spain) on tracks last year. we did west to east the year before on a paid excursion. Then we went down the centre of Spain on tracks avoiding all big towns until we fancied a change nearer Granada. PM me, happy to share any relevant trails we took.

Stu / Rodger

Keep us in the loop, I'm in France/Swiss Alps end of June, so Sept/Oct would be good for me.

Pete

I strongly suggest that if you have time you should visit the badlands of Bardenas Reales near Tudela. Quite amazing wildlife and rock formations, plus tracks to offroad on. Its also the largest NATO firing and bombing range in Europe and as you sit on one of the cliffs you can watch euro-fighters line up alongside you and drop their laser designated weapons. It can be a noisy place - be warned. Anyway its just NW of Zaragoza, if you are driving past.

Mark has sent me the information and, combining it with the stuff we already have (info already on the forum), I can see hours/days/weeks of planning and hopefully we end up with a plan that works!

Regards,

Back