Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Technical Service question - on diff oils for my Troopy

Bmonck

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Hi
I am getting conflicting information on the correct diff oils to use on my imported 2006 Troopy (the model just before the facelift).
I have front and rear lockers so I think that would make the rear diff an open diff and not a limited slip diff. Please let me know if you think this assumption might be wrong.

So to the oils:
- my Haynes manual and my personal notes (built up over a number of years) says the correct oil is SAE 90 Hypoid gear oil GL5. Ditto for the front diff.
- but in talking to my local Toyota dealer this afternoon they said they thought it should be a 75-85 oil in the rear and 75-90 in the front one.

I do not have enough technical knowledge to know what the differences really are in terms of impact on the diffs performance and especially wear and tear.
Does anyone know where I might get a more definitive answer? eg. a European garage that might be familiar with this model (obvs was never sold in the UK) or some sort of database.
Or maybe other Troopy owners or Aussie members have personal experience that might help.

FInally what are the impacts of putting 90 instead of 75-85?
Many thanks

Last edited:
Never understood gear oil viscosities, but yes, you have open diffs so dont use anything for limited slip digfs.

Hmmm don’t know. Spec for my 78 is 75W85 GL5 for diffs and 75W90 in the T box and gearbox

Are you a TOA facebook member? Be worth asking there

Hi
I am getting conflicting information on the correct diff oils to use on my imported 2006 Troopy (the model just before the facelift).
I have front and rear lockers so I think that would make the rear diff an open diff and not a limited slip diff. Please let me know if you think this assumption might be wrong.

So to the oils:
- my Haynes manual and my personal notes (built up over a number of years) says the correct oil is SAE 90 Hypoid gear oil GL5. Ditto for the front diff.
- but in talking to my local Toyota dealer this afternoon they said they thought it should be a 75-85 oil in the rear and 75-90 in the front one.

I do not have enough technical knowledge to know what the differences really are in terms of impact on the diffs performance and especially wear and tear.
Does anyone know where I might get a more definitive answer? eg. a European garage that might be familiar with this model (obvs was never sold in the UK) or some sort of database.
Or maybe other Troopy owners or Aussie members have personal experience that might help.

FInally what are the impacts of putting 90 instead of 75-85?
Many thanks
As a diesel mechanic, servicing this i would put it LS90 GL5 in both F & R, LS = limited slip, which won't hurt a non-LSD and would be the right oil if it were an LSD that negates the potential possibility of chatter. The GL5 part means it's a high pressure gear oil, that resists being squeezed out, and is recognizable by being stinky and more treacle-like.

Just FYI, the gearbox and transfer case on the other hand, runs a similar viscosity but in a GL4, i run 75/85 in mine. GL4 is a non-high pressure type of oil, where the load on the tooth contact patch is lower than in an automotive differential.

Last edited:
Back