Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Techstream diagnosis

You'll be lucky if anyone there has any experience with these 20 year old motors. The apprentice who usually does an oil change on a Yaris wont have seen one of these before. They wont go digging out a 20 year old manual to search for specs and tolerances.

If youre lucky theyll plug in the computer, say theres no codes and its all fine.

If youre unlucky, theyll see theres no check engine light and say its all fine.

Dont waste your money - buy a scanner with it instead and DIY

Agree with Karl, Toyota aren't interested in landcruisers now - especially the older ones.

I ordered myself a cheap Mini VCI cable from ebay yesterday.

Not sure what I'm going to do or how I'm going to do it yet - but there might be lessons to be learnt from how I get eaten and by what. Watch this space. :think:

.... although I have just thought that the cable software will come on a CD and I haven't had a hole for one of those for years :laughing-rolling:
Hopefully I can just get the files copied to a memory stick without bringing down the interweb.

I like the look of that Vident link thingy ... have to see if it does the injector coding inputs etc too. The screen size looks like it could be a bit awkward for browsing stats (not that I'd know what I was looking at). Be just like having an old Nokia again. :laughing:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I got one o they Motorola brick things in the loft that could be slipped in the pocket, (a big one) !

I've got a 2022 HP laptop that came with Windows11,can someone post up a link to buy Techstream and a cable?
Cheers

Youll probably have to search and take a chance tbh. But youre dedicating this laptop to techstream right?

Once youve put techstream on, dont go accessing your swiss bank accounts on the internet. Or your email. Or the internet. Or anything really!

Bootleg Techstream must be what the gubbermint use to access bank accounts, lol.

Well, I failed with the Hyper-V VM idea. Microsoft are rubbish at VM stuff it seems - it took days and still couldn't get the VM to even see the USB port and VCI cable. Didn't help that I don't know what I'm doing I suppose but what a headache. MIssion failed.

I did manage to get a connection to the LC with a different (very old window 7 laptop) - but the techstream software didn't have the 120 listed at all. Only a 4.7 2UZ-FE engine (under landcruiser option).

I tried with "Europe" region and with "Other" region. Both failed. Europe showed only a "Landcruiser" option that listed just the 2UZ-FE and "Other" showed only a model type list. I selected KDJ but that just bugged out aswell. I assume this must be software related - or there's a trick to getting through the options that I don't know. I might try again - but considering a proper scanner now. Even if I can't enter the compensation codes after the injector job I will be able to get a reasonable idea of a "before" picture. I can then get a garage with a decent scanner to help me enter the comepensation codes afterwards. I'm sure it won't hurt to drive it there. :think:

Sam
You've convinced me to find a mechanic with Techstream who knows how to use it...

I'm eyeball deep in all the choices at the moment. I've been looking at all the different scanners - including the ones talked about on the FourBy4Diesel channels - but it seems they all state they are good for American cars after 1996 but Japanese cars after 2006! That rules me right out with my '03. Good chance they would all work ok - but could also be an expensive mistake.

I'm going to sort out a different laptop and have another go when I get time. I did manage to get a connection just couldn't find the 120 anywhere in the software. So maybe a different software version download would have done the trick. I'm drowning in other stuff at the moment but when I get a chance I'll post a few questions in all the groups and see if anyone can shed light on the issue.

In the mean time, my "worst case" is to get a garage to plug in and do me a "before" reading, do the injector job and go back and borrow the scanner to input the compensation codes and get an "after" picture to compare .... if I don't kill the LC doing the job :laughing:

What version of techstream did you use? I wonder if the older motors are dropped off the newer versions?

Hadn't considered that karl - but it wasn't just older models - it was everything except the 4.7 2UZ-FE - that's from 1989 I think. Very odd.

Install version was 16.00.017 but with a launch exe from v17.20.013

We can't rule out daft user error here. So I've got to have another go on a better laptop before I rule it out.
I will try with an older techstream version too though just in case :thumbup:

Back