Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The Obsession with fuel and MPG...

Fuel here has been at £1.63 a litre for diesel.
Today I filled up and it had dropped :shock: to £1.57
That is genuinely the second time in twenty years that I have seen a price decrease here.

Looking at Ryan's example, that's about 10 mpg on gas. Which is rubbish really, but at 70p per litre, that's just over 31p per mile. Which is less than a diesel.

Just looked on AutoT and there are a couple of beautiful R plates going for around £3500 without gas. With gas is an extra £2k! If like me you only do 5k per year, it's some pretty cheap luxury motoring IF and I stress IF on road I can get half decent mpg. Obviously 10 mpg on petrol would be a killer.

See what you have started Lazz - exactly the opposite of what you wanted. But it's not about being tight and whining about driving a big truck - I agree, STFU and get on with it. But with the stock of these things dwindling and prices rising, there is some merit in the topic. What can you get out of a petrol, with good service and set up on a run?
Off road and around town, I don't care. But on a run through Europe could you squeeze 16? 17? More? Or are you going to be lucky to reach 12 driving like a fudder?

:thumbup: I agree with everything here. If my truck did 5 MPG id still have it as i have to pull 3.5 T and not many trucks can do that. Plus i love being in the,.

Last edited by a moderator:
For to chuckle, Karl. Best I ever got out of either of my previous petrol 80s was 20litres / 100km. Which is pretty much 10mpg I think? Add a load, roof tent, etc and go drive the desert with high heat and low tyre pressures and suddenly we're looking at 33litres / 100km which is pretty frightening even where petrol costs 60% of what it does here ...

So what's the upside? Well, you get more power, usually less miles on the engine when you get it, tidy interiors, dealer stamps and the best bit - they're cheaper. Most people then say fit a gas kit. I wouldn't. Why waste £1500 and lose the spare wheel space. If you can forget the bill purely at the filling station and remember to take this in the round then a petrol is a good deal. I would consider it. In fact I have. I do like the robustness of the diesel and the torque but for tarmac? Why not a petrol. I did test drive one and it was utterly gorgeous. I don't know what people have got out of them loaded, on nice long runs. Problem at the moment seems to be finding one that hasn't had gas fitted already. When they have, the price goes up of course.

Mmmn, got me thinking now.

Chris
Good points there Chris,

Apart from, if I was going to go the petrol route, I would really look at the 100 series petrol's.
As mentioned, "Tarmac" so why the need for the 80 series?

I think the 100 series petrol would be an awesome machine, if your spending so much time on tarmac.

Gra.

Looking at Ryan's example, that's about 10 mpg on gas. Which is rubbish really, but at 70p per litre, that's just over 31p per mile. Which is less than a diesel.

Just looked on AutoT and there are a couple of beautiful R plates going for around £3500 without gas. With gas is an extra £2k! If like me you only do 5k per year, it's some pretty cheap luxury motoring IF and I stress IF on road I can get half decent mpg. Obviously 10 mpg on petrol would be a killer..,,

...What can you get out of a petrol, with good service and set up on a run?
Off road and around town, I don't care. But on a run through Europe could you squeeze 16? 17? More? Or are you going to be lucky to reach 12 driving like a fudder?

Chris

Just to stoke the fire. Highway driving will net you 16mpg is easily on petrol, not gas. My best has been 19mpg. this was on he motorway at 60mph on petrol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I remember when I was at school (a very very long time ago) when we wanted to ride our bikes to school we had to get our Cycling Proficiency test first - it wasn't too difficult but did teach basic rules of the road and about traffic etc. Maybe they could bring something like that back

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I remember when I was at school (a very very long time ago) when we wanted to ride our bikes to school we had to get our Cycling Proficiency test first - it wasn't too difficult but did teach basic rules of the road and about traffic etc. Maybe they could bring something like that back
Whoops wrong thread - I am getting too old for this :)

Just to stoke the fire. Highway driving will net you 16mpg is easily on petrol, not gas. My best has been 19mpg. this was on he motorway at 60mph on petrol.

Christ, I would die of boredome doing 60Mph on the motorway :wtf: Life is just to short for that :sleeping-sleep:

For to chuckle, Karl. Best I ever got out of either of my previous petrol 80s was 20litres / 100km. Which is pretty much 10mpg I think? Add a load, roof tent, etc and go drive the desert with high heat and low tyre pressures and suddenly we're looking at 33litres / 100km which is pretty frightening even where petrol costs 60% of what it does here ...

Now that is some going gary :shock:

Well,I have used all the gas in the tank on my way home tonight and the outcome is 140 miles. I have done alot of those with my small trailer on but not with alot of weight on it Maybe 800kg inc tralier.
I will fill the tank tomoz to see how much gas it will hold and i will post it tomoz.

Christ, I would die of boredome doing 60Mph on the motorway :wtf: Life is just to short for that :sleeping-sleep:

Dont tow a 80 series behind a 80 tony or you will end up in a mess :lol:
60mph is about my limit when towing with another truck behind me. Ive still ended up in a few dodgy situations at that speed.

Dont tow a 80 series behind a 80 tony or you will end up in a mess :lol:
60mph is about my limit when towing with another truck behind me. Ive still ended up in a few dodgy situations at that speed.

I can well believe it Karl. Yeah I do get the safety thing..... but when you been on the Autobhans at stupid speeds 60 seems pedestrian :lol:

I can well believe it Karl. Yeah I do get the safety thing..... but when you been on the Autobhans at stupid speeds 60 seems pedestrian :lol:

I know what your saying tony. I ride 180mph superbikes. Sat at 30mph in 30 zones feels like your not moving:lol:

The results from filling this morning. I managed to get to Ashbourne this morning on gas under 2k rpm.
Clocks read 154 when I reset it. I put 61.3L of gas in. So the chap thought that what it held was the size of the tank.

Dave worked it out at just under 12mpg. Obviously that wasn't economy driving.

I know what your saying tony. I ride 180mph superbikes. Sat at 30mph in 30 zones feels like your not moving:lol:
Hi Karl,
It's when you slow down to 70, then feel your not moving :)
I had a guy, believe it or not, pass me when I had 175 showing, and he come past me like I was going backwards.
Rough guess ??? 240.
He slowed down about a few miles further on, then we were both just cruising along at 90, and he pointed to his NOS, then I seen it was an older 1100cc Suzuki.

Gra.

Or when your not in a rush to get to work, but you still tap it up to 150, just for the grin.

Back