Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

UK Media on the 250

One interesting thing... It starts at £50k and top of the line first edition is £65k (otr).

A worthy nod to its heritage and leaves no excuse for anyone to buy a new Defender .

A worthy nod to its heritage and leaves no excuse for anyone to buy a new Defender .

Where Toyota are going wrong with this compared with the Defender is there is no 6 cylinder option. I've been in a members Defender with the 6 cylinder diesel and thought it was quite fantastic, smooth and refined with a ton of power and torque. Clearly as as it's remarked in one of the reports there is no getting away from the fact it's a four cylinder.

One interesting thing... It starts at £50k and top of the line first edition is £65k (otr).

I'd like to think they are going to be that price but that does sound a bit low compared to Defender prices, we can only see when, eventually, they start to come through.

6 cylinders weigh more , I was m0re disappointed because there's no replacement for displacement . But the way the world is going at least it has an engine .

A 3 cylinder 4 litre twin turbo , now that would be breaking news .

Edit :-

Last edited:
I think the hybrid version will be the one to have. Yes there’s more complexity and the battery in the boot floor takes up a fair bit of space but it will provide much more torque (even though 500NM in the 2.8L 4cyl sounds more than enough)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd like to think they are going to be that price but that does sound a bit low compared to Defender prices, we can only see when, eventually, they start to come through.

Orders been taken in EU at 53k EUR and in the US $57k ; so hopefully they stay in the ballpark there.

Other thing is, I think they are not going to compete with the defender too much in the UK/EU - Defenders are on discount at the moment, it will be wild if Toyota end up having to discount the LC !

Not turbos, but supercharged:
I had no idea such a thing existed when i posted my theory that tree huggers would more readily accept a 3 cylinder and some idle googling the concept revealed to me that several manufacturers have already embraced the idea albeit for petrol cars . And guess what Toyota is leader of the pack up that street .

Never have I wanted an alternative to the 4.2 in my 80 because displacement is the unequivocal king of strength motor wise . Comes at a price though so while Cummins and a few others offer greater CC I figure they got to be thirsty .

Must admit though the Achates really does confuse the issue for me in a way thats worthy of applause , particularly when it potentially doubles mpg (perhaps) without sacrifice ?

Orders been taken in EU at 53k EUR and in the US $57k ; so hopefully they stay in the ballpark there.

Other thing is, I think they are not going to compete with the defender too much in the UK/EU - Defenders are on discount at the moment, it will be wild if Toyota end up having to discount the LC !

I reckon they will be £65 and upwards, as usually UK imports have better "standard" spec than European models - in other words, I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota drop the base model from the UK line up and only offer mid and high spec variants here.

I wonder if the 250 will dissolve in salt water.
Almost certainly as they will be made of recycled steel that's full of impurities and Mr T doesn't want his products to last for 30 years.....

The steel issue is proven time and time again when we are restoring 80 year old WW2 vehicles and you weld a piece of original steel plate to a piece of modern steel of the same gauge and supposedly spec... the new steel often melts away from the original.

One of the concerns of the UK defence industry ignored by the politician's when they allowed the last steel production in the UK to be lost was our inability to produce "virgin steel" for high strength and quality products .

I don't think the 250 will take a single Defender sale from JLR , the new Defender may have it's faults but sits at a different level of refinement and on road ability especially with the 6 cylinder engine..

Most of the reviews I’ve seen are quite favourable. Agree I’d like a 6cyl and don’t really understand why TME are introducing it here with only the 2.8D when the US gets the Hybrid from first bat.

If I were in rhe US then the Lexus badged version would be the choice with a better engine, or a T4R…

I drove the Ineos the other day, it will be an interesting compare if I get to try the 250. The Ineos has a lot to like, but the 85k price tag for a decent spec isn’t one of them!

Most of the reviews I’ve seen are quite favourable. Agree I’d like a 6cyl and don’t really understand why TME are introducing it here with only the 2.8D when the US gets the Hybrid from first bat.

If I were in rhe US then the Lexus badged version would be the choice with a better engine, or a T4R…

I drove the Ineos the other day, it will be an interesting compare if I get to try the 250. The Ineos has a lot to like, but the 85k price tag for a decent spec isn’t one of them!
Agree about the Ineos......as much as I hate to say it , not a fan of the squashed Defender look but it has a lot of design ideas that do work and if they keep to their philosophy of a vehicle for life then it could be the way forward
I can see owning one in the future with a 2 inch lift and some decent wheels ..... not sure the 250 ticks the same boxes which is a shame.... Toyota still don't do interiors well....
Don't get me wrong ... I dearly wish Toyota would get back on their A game but they've lost it a bit in my eyes with rust issues and the 300 and 250 have in my opinion not the best looking front ends in the world....

That's exactly how reviewers should test trucks Chadr . Is that the same fella's who took about 6 months breaking 3 new Defenders just to get to the desert ?

Lots of people in Australia saying the 4cy pulls better than the V8 outgoing.. that's at least one data point.

Are you sure? 53k EUR is what they are selling the old stock 150 "Life" (a 3dr commercial with windows and seats) for in France. Seem to be plenty of old stock 150s left for sale in France too.

In the US the $57K is (I think) before sales tax and other random pennies they always seem to apply whenever you think you have the exact change to buy anything in America.

Back