Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

warming up the gearbox..

I planned many moons back to install a IIRC 'Webasto' fuel heater? It run from the diesel in the tank and you will find them on BMW's (breakers yard?) and other cars that have super efficient diesel engines. There is a generic kit about that uses a timer and so forth. Perfect if you are away from mains supply (different country?/wild camping?). They have a small pump that pushes water through heater system and through the block. An alternative is for those with Auto's, they can have a remote starting or on a timer, obviously not recommended for a manual vehicle, just throwing out musings from my past thoughts and ideas.

regards

Dave

Slightly off topic but my dad bought a heating element for the engine. He spliced the bottom hose to fit it. Inside there was a heating element which plugged into a mains extension lead. I think it was for really bad winters when the temperature was so low that the car would most likely not start.

A search for 'engine pre heater' on Ebay brings up loads of options both mains electric and diesel fuelled. Looks like they wouldn't take much fitting either. Very popular in countries with real Winters but certainly very convenient anywhere going out to start a nicely warmed vehicle which should demist/defrost in seconds. Can't really see much heat getting to the gearbox though. JMO

Back