Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

I've been trying to get my tech stream working last weekend... have it installed and activated eventually have subscription for 13 years after buying the activation code from a fella in Russia for $5 , but the mini vci isn't connecting to connect... my laptop is windows 10 on a 64 bit system... I've seen how it doesn't like this combination and to download "Multi MVCI Driver x64" .RAR file??? It's blocked by windows saying that it's corrupted and then deleted.

I think I need to open a .RAR ? file on my 2nd laptop to accept the download then it'll be attached to the tech stream (will need to delete the previous drivers that don't operate).. But been offered another dark green 120 which I'm going to buy tomorow... it needs some welding but starts and drives!

Ecu repairers don't touch pre 2008 120 ecu's as they are locked from factory.. there's an update for the 2008 120 invincible, I've been told on several occasions.

A hilux at 2006 can have the immobiliser deleted or flashed off as the ecu is not locked from factory...

It would be great to get round this problem with the 1st 120, there's lot's of obstacles to even get the codes out of it and then decipher the root cause of the problem?

Will see how the 2nd 120 is tomorow and open up a thread here with pics of a 120 with no rust and a 120 that has lots of rust! LOL :thumbup:

and activated eventually have subscription for 13 years after buying the activation code from a fella in Russia for $5 ,
LOL
I think I need to open a .RAR ? file on my 2nd laptop to accept the download then it'll be attached to the tech stream (will need to delete the previous drivers that don't operate).. But been offered another dark green 120 which I'm going to buy tomorow... it needs some welding but starts and drives!
A .rar file is just like a .zip file; windows might be deleting it because it thinks it contains a virus; which it probably does...

Your techstream is on a dedicated laptop that you're not using for anything else right?

Ecu repairers don't touch pre 2008 120 ecu's as they are locked from factory.. there's an update for the 2008 120 invincible, I've been told on several occasions.
Whats the situation with the ECU?

A hilux at 2006 can have the immobiliser deleted or flashed off as the ecu is not locked from factory...

It would be great to get round this problem with the 1st 120, there's lot's of obstacles to even get the codes out of it and then decipher the root cause of the problem?
Whats the problem?
Will see how the 2nd 120 is tomorow and open up a thread here with pics of a 120 with no rust and a 120 that has lots of rust! LOL :thumbup:
Good luck!

LOL

A .rar file is just like a .zip file; windows might be deleting it because it thinks it contains a virus; which it probably does...

Your techstream is on a dedicated laptop that you're not using for anything else right?

Whats the situation with the ECU?

Whats the problem?

Good luck!
Yep it's just an electronic mine field.. Have a laptop just for the techstream.. have a problem with the immobiliser which has locked the truck from starting. Or has a issue that has activated the immobiliser.

When the 120 was new there is whats called a "code card" that is recomended not to keep in the car and placed in a safe place. This has several codes on it and the one you need is the "start code" which is manually plugged in on the centralised button... don't know where that is or where the card is! Immobiliser over ride.

Had an ecu company who at calling up were going to come over to the truck to hopefully flashout the immobiliser and remap it as i had seen a guy in NZ who did this very thing on a 2006 hilux, this is where it came apparent that the 2008 invincible d4d has the ability for an update. This company said if they succeed it would be £350 if not then it's £150 for a fail... and quite frankly weren't interested in coming at all!!

Second and third ecu place stated the same and as the first offered to clone the ecu but in the whole of Europe there's only 2 blank ecu's of this kind.. one in Germany and one in Austria costing 1500 euros before the cloning work can be started. Apparently the ecu companies all use the same European database which records whats been done to each one, so it's there to be pulled up.

The problem with cloning an ecu to the same settings is that if there's and existing problem with the motor then the problem will just transfered to the replacement ecu..

So have taken a break from the 1st 120 with working earning a living, but after getting the dedicated laptop together last week, last Saturday started to get tech stream up and running.. but without the mini vci not playing ball and windows blocking the multi driver download.... still no the wiser with codes to investigate into!!

There's obstacles all the way!! LOL But have learned quite a lot so far..... that is stick with the 81 series! Only jokin it's a challenge!

Interesting... I assume theres already a 120 thread on all this? Which ecu are you looking to change/clone - the engine one? Do you think the ecu is knackered?

I've been close to extracting the engine ecu but it has another unit bolted to it which prevents removal... the immobiliser ecu unit is encased with metal seen after removing the cd disc changer.. but to gain decent access to remove the bolts from above, it's a dash removal job.

Willing to remove the dash but wanted to get and read the codes or to find out combinations of codes which would/could reveal the root of the issue first..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hmmm whats the other unit bolted to the engine ecu? This is the one in the passenger footwell?

We probably need another thread...

Removed rear axle, start of JMACX track corrected axle upgrade

Got around to completing the installation of the new rear light clusters.
Big thank you to @Tractionman for pointing me in the right direction to a seller on eBay that sold the correct crimps for the connector so that the two 'missing' wires could be installed.

Crimp Connectors:
IMG_8570.JPG

Installing 'missing' wires to connectors:
IMG_8572.JPG
IMG_8574.JPG
IMG_8575.JPG

All Done:
IMG_8578.JPG
IMG_8580.JPG
IMG_8582.JPG

1 - Brake / Driving & Indicator
2 - Brake / Driving & Reverse
3 - Brake / Driving / Indicator / Reverse

Now to dodge the wind and rain - again - and do an oil and filter change on my daughters Skoda CitiGo, and install USB points in the center console.

It took us a long while to get there Dave on different routes, but everything is working as I feel it should have when manufactured, wasting those upper rear assemblies.

My grateful thanks to karl2000, who had a huge input on my conversion of original assemblies.

Many years ago I wired the upper lights on my '90' in parallel with the 'correct' lower lights.

I took it for its MOT and later found that the MOT Station had removed the bulbs from the upper assemblies. WHY, is it actually illegal to have the (much more obvious) upper lights as well as the lower ones ????

Naturally I put the bulbs back in, much safer.

Just something to watch out for in the future.

Bob.

Agree, what a daft situation/interpretation that only a twat would see as wrong.

It seems by that, if you have got more lights it's a fail (although in your case they did the decent thing) but if you have a duff bulb it's still a fail (as one would expect) ???

There are loads of vehicles about with obvious extra lights that were not even factory fitted, vans, 4×4's and hgv's in particular, lit up like Xmas trees. (Different mot but broadly similar)

At 1st mot after buying the 120, I was apprehensive about the tester failing it on uppers not working (except for reverse and stop, as it left the factory) it passed so inspector must be familiar with set up, even though he is definitely a twat and advisory mad.
Other more friendly testers at same place treat it the same, so will be interesting come mot time if they say/do anything.

Many years ago I wired the upper lights on my '90' in parallel with the 'correct' lower lights.

I took it for its MOT and later found that the MOT Station had removed the bulbs from the upper assemblies. WHY, is it actually illegal to have the (much more obvious) upper lights as well as the lower ones ????

Naturally I put the bulbs back in, much safer.

Just something to watch out for in the future.

Bob.

Hmm that will be interesting - no taking the bulbs out of the upper lights now as they are LED units! Still if that's the case then I guess some tape over the lower bumper ones at MOT time :) Then there is only 1 set :expressionless:

It took us a long while to get there Dave on different routes, but everything is working as I feel it should have when manufactured, wasting those upper rear assemblies.

My grateful thanks to karl2000, who had a huge input on my conversion of original assemblies.

It took us a long while to get there Dave
These days (at my age) everything takes a long while !!!!

Hmm that will be interesting - no taking the bulbs out of the upper lights now as they are LED units! Still if that's the case then I guess some tape over the lower bumper ones at MOT time :) Then there is only 1 set :expressionless:
Worst case have an inline MOT switch on your feed wires!

Back