Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

With a heavy heart - For sale in March 2024

hopeless wanderer

Country Flag
england
Salutations :)

Didn't want to put it in the classifieds just yet as i won't be back until March to deal with it but as the title says with a heavy heart, I'll be selling Brenda next year.
I've finally bought a house in New Zealand and the plan was to ship it over there, lots of things have changed and it's just not worth it to me to send it over when i have a 4x4 Toyota Coaster bus to build and two snarling German halo cars already on the drive, besides the 1000 miles or so per annum put on the cruiser over the last 9 years of ownership don't justify the insurance and storage fees that I pay annually.
I honestly can't remember half the stuff that's been done to her, but I'll list a few now, pending digging out the old emails and receipts. If anyone wants to drop me a message i can give the Reg to check MOT history etc.
But here we go with the list.
1995 HDJ81 - HDFT Engine with just under 200k miles. Manual gearbox.
6 x wheels with Cooper Discoverer STT Max tyres I actually have 2 spare wheels because afters years of hunting i found another set with the centre cap covers included (they are boxed and still silver)
Middle East spec snorkel head.
Grooved brake discs front and rear. Braided stainless brake lines, Koni Shocks, EFS 2" lift.
Front mount intercooler, Munro Racing turbochargers uprated turbo (From Australia - similar to G Turbo i guess). 3" X force exhaust brought over from NZ.
Pillar pod with digital gauges, Auber gauges in the blank above the ashtray showing boost and AGT. High level brake light.
Pop out gull wing hatches with one molle panel (courtesy of Starcruiser)
Rear tailgate storage (courtesy of Chapel Gate)
Rock sliders courtesy of Chris (need a repaint) and it also has his roof tent on top of a direct 4x4 roof rack. Tent includes the awing wall thing that goes under the tent to make a 2nd room. Brand is "Terrain" i think.
30 Second awning (AFAIK the only one in the country as i dragged it over from Brisbane myself).
Split charge and 12v starter conversion (IBS - combiner unit)
Factory sub tank - this is installed but needs the pump and switch installing. (The filler neck is in place but I've noticed drips from the lower fill hoses when i brim the tank. not metal rot as the pipe was as new probs a hose clamp)
Double swing arm rear bumper (havent attached the arms but i have them along with new bearings). underneath has been aqua sealed and por 15'd but the chassis is excellent including where the steering box mounts.

Fastidiously serviced with Fuchs oil and genuine Toyota parts, (Timing belt & thermo was done less than 2k ago) I've got a lot of spares and i think bar the original running boards I've got everything that was ever removed. I also have a new fan clutch, new spare starter motor, spare fuel filter, washable air filter, the original turbo and all the pipework, bumpers, fixed glass windows at the rear. I've got a none egr crossover pipe in NZ i got in case debris ever damaged the intercooler, got a bonnet front lip plexiglass thing and a rear spoiler for the tailgate. I have an ARB double inflater thing with the aluminium tank in a plastic case, brand new waeco fridge 45L i think erm and I'd started a rear drawer system made of Aluminium extrusion that probably cost close to a grand that need finishing too.

Now the bad things, Sunroof never worked, of course the front inner wing where it meets the wing on the driver's side is bubbling (standard), leading edge of the bonnet and rear tailgate have minor bubbling. theres a little bit of minor rust on the black bits that have the rear windows in them & clearcoat has a 2 inch circle on the bonnet. I've got my nephew hunting around for a good bodyshop to clean this up so maybe done before sale.

The plan is I arrive in mid March from New Zealand, I take the kids down to London to the Harry Potter studios and enjoy Brenda for the last time before hopefully handing her over to her new loving custodian.
Most of the early build stuff is documented in "brenda the devastator" on overland builds if you want a peek at her. Basically, a little bit of work to get her over the line and finish some of the jobs i never had time to complete and you have a good honest overland 80.

Shit!! I'm a bit gutted :-( My finger has hovered over the "post thread" button for the last 10 mins. I've attached one picture ...
brenda.JPG
Isn't she beautiful !!

Last edited:
That must be breaking your heart......
If you separate some of the spares like the non EGR crossover pipe etc I'd be interested

Keep it.. it's irreplaceable... there's terrain in NZ where it will lap it up and the apocalypses is gaining pace......

Salutations :)

Didn't want to put it in the classifieds just yet as i won't be back until March to deal with it but as the title says with a heavy heart, I'll be selling Brenda next year.
I've finally bought a house in New Zealand and the plan was to ship it over there, lots of things have changed and it's just not worth it to me to send it over when i have a 4x4 Toyota Coaster bus to build and two snarling German halo cars already on the drive, besides the 1000 miles or so per annum put on the cruiser over the last 9 years of ownership don't justify the insurance and storage fees that I pay annually.
I honestly can't remember half the stuff that's been done to her, but I'll list a few now, pending digging out the old emails and receipts. If anyone wants to drop me a message i can give the Reg to check MOT history etc.
But here we go with the list.
1995 HDJ81 - HDFT Engine with just under 200k miles. Manual gearbox.
6 x wheels with Cooper Discoverer STT Max tyres I actually have 2 spare wheels because afters years of hunting i found another set with the centre cap covers included (they are boxed and still silver)
Middle East spec snorkel head.
Grooved brake discs front and rear. Braided stainless brake lines, Koni Shocks, EFS 2" lift.
Front mount intercooler, Munro Racing turbochargers uprated turbo (From Australia - similar to G Turbo i guess). 3" X force exhaust brought over from NZ.
Pillar pod with digital gauges, Auber gauges in the blank above the ashtray showing boost and AGT. High level brake light.
Pop out gull wing hatches with one molle panel (courtesy of Starcruiser)
Rear tailgate storage (courtesy of Chapel Gate)
Rock sliders courtesy of Chris (need a repaint) and it also has his roof tent on top of a direct 4x4 roof rack. Tent includes the awing wall thing that goes under the tent to make a 2nd room. Brand is "Terrain" i think.
30 Second awning (AFAIK the only one in the country as i dragged it over from Brisbane myself).
Split charge and 12v starter conversion (IBS - combiner unit)
Factory sub tank - this is installed but needs the pump and switch installing. (The filler neck is in place but I've noticed drips from the lower fill hoses when i brim the tank. not metal rot as the pipe was as new probs a hose clamp)
Double swing arm rear bumper (havent attached the arms but i have them along with new bearings). underneath has been aqua sealed and por 15'd but the chassis is excellent including where the steering box mounts.

Fastidiously serviced with Fuchs oil and genuine Toyota parts, (Timing belt & thermo was done less than 2k ago) I've got a lot of spares and i think bar the original running boards I've got everything that was ever removed. I also have a new fan clutch, new spare starter motor, spare fuel filter, washable air filter, the original turbo and all the pipework, bumpers, fixed glass windows at the rear. I've got a none egr crossover pipe in NZ i got in case debris ever damaged the intercooler, got a bonnet front lip plexiglass thing and a rear spoiler for the tailgate. I have an ARB double inflater thing with the aluminium tank in a plastic case, brand new waeco fridge 45L i think erm and I'd started a rear drawer system made of Aluminium extrusion that probably cost close to a grand that need finishing too.

Now the bad things, Sunroof never worked, of course the front inner wing where it meets the wing on the driver's side is bubbling (standard), leading edge of the bonnet and rear tailgate have minor bubbling. theres a little bit of minor rust on the black bits that have the rear windows in them & clearcoat has a 2 inch circle on the bonnet. I've got my nephew hunting around for a good bodyshop to clean this up so maybe done before sale.

The plan is I arrive in mid March from New Zealand, I take the kids down to London to the Harry Potter studios and enjoy Brenda for the last time before hopefully handing her over to her new loving custodian.
Most of the early build stuff is documented in "brenda the devastator" on overland builds if you want a peek at her. Basically, a little bit of work to get her over the line and finish some of the jobs i never had time to complete and you have a good honest overland 80.

Shit!! I'm a bit gutted :-( My finger has hovered over the "post thread" button for the last 10 mins. I've attached one picture ...View attachment 334379 Isn't she beautiful !!
She is indeed beautiful, I would be interested in being the owner is this magnificent machine, will you pm me please, Bill Westley

That must be breaking your heart......
If you separate some of the spares like the non EGR crossover pipe etc I'd be interested
It is. The crossover pipe is in NZ so I’ll throw it in my luggage. I’ll give you a shout closer to March.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Had to create an account to throw my name in the hat of potentially being interested in this when the time comes. Can you shoot me a PM? I believe I'd need to post a few more times before I'm allowed to start conversations

Go on give us a tour of the bus!
Excuse the Dutch accent, I bought it sight unseen and my mate from the Netherlands was over in NZ and took a video. I’ve thrown a fair bit of cash at it as I got it with the gearbox in bits. Should take collection of it with a MOT and all the seats out in a month or so . I just need to rebuild the portal axles, add a mechanism for the hi/lo on the transfer box and put a 2 inch lift on it and then it’s all about the internal fitout.
*damn video won’t load oh wait here is a .zip

Attachments

• 9964201b-7e07-4f87-9da7-8516ed7d0295.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Back