Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie - help needed - 100, 105 or Troopie

SteveS

Been lurking around the forum for a while now and gathering information but this my first post

Been a Defender driver for years but have decided to go to a Land Cruiser for the next stage of our adventures. We plan to travel for 6 months at a time South America, Africa, Asia and Australasia.

Looked at the 78, 100 and 105 and are focusing on 100 Series, preferring the comforts there - but have a dilemma and wanted your thoughts: do we go for the out and out 78 NA, the 105 which is normally aspirated and thus will need a turbo but has a SFA, and then the 100 which is turbo 4.2 but IFS.

I've read some poor reports on after-market Turbo additions to the 4.2 and yet large parts of our journey will be at high altitude - e.g. the Andies so a turbo would seem necessary

The 100 Series is a compromise on load carrying capacity and our weighed kit list would mean that it would be at the top of its legal GVW.

Either choice would have a 2" lift, 285/75-ish tyres, front/rear bars and swing away carriers, rack and roof tent, some under-truck protection, winch with plasma, etc etc - focus on form and function rather than bling and keep the weight low

So the questions:
What do forum members think? Which issues should I be aware of
Where can I get a good low mileage 105/100 manual in white, RH drive (want to use it in the UK the other half of the year and tax/insure etc). I want an untouched vehicle and happy to pay top dollar for low mileage. Happy to import too.
Should I go non turbo and stop worrying? Should I add a turbo and stop worrying?
Is SFA such a big issue given journey is likely to be roughly 60/40 on/off road

Hi Steve,

FWIW, the myth that a 100 series will not go and do as much as a 105 is just that... a myth. The 105 is a little gutless, unless you buy a petrol. You WILL need bigger tanks if you buy petrol.

The 100 series is will do more than you will ever ask of it and the IFS makes it so much more comfortable to drive than a SFA. The diesel is fantastically tractable and it would be my choice.

I wouldn't want a 78, cart springs and although tough, its smaller and much less comfortable.

You will struggle to find a low mileage diesel manual 100 in the UK. Manual 100's do come up for sale here but never seen one in white.
Importing from SA is a god bet, but you will pay considerably more for the vehicle.

Hey Steve

Welcome to the forum. Given what you have said I would say the 4.2TD 100 series is the way to go BUT if you stuck on white and low milage then forget the UK and you are going to have to import. If you do then why not get the best you can and go for the 105 with it SFA BUT if you only going to do a 60/40 split and the offroad is more bad gravel roads and no serious rock crawling or serious 4x4 stuff then the SFA is a waste in my opinion but may help with resale if you decide to give her up at some point.

So not really answering your question but food for thought. I guess if you tell us a bit about the 4x4 work you will be doing and perhaps where you want to start your journey it may help. No point in importing a car and then exporting it to your start location some 4 months down the road.

If you not stuck on white and depending on what you classify as low milage the UK still has good solid IFS 100 series you just need to look for them. Perhaps an idea as to your budget may help as it gives an indication of the year you may be looking for ie post or pre 2003 (face lift).

So the trips - Northern-most Canada/Alaska down to Patagonia first off, then UK to Mongolia, then Australia, then Africa. I think you're right in that most of the off road stuff will graded roads, washboard and gravel. There will probably be the odd visit to Sahara (not mega-serious crossing though) and to Iceland. I'm sure there will be plenty of mud etc too in say central Africa - ARB lockers will be fitted

Budget - won't be an issue, so post face-lift, last year of manufacture

Will definitely be the 4.2 diesel.

Anyone have thoughts on the addition of an after market turbo to the 4.2 unit?

In that case perhaps flex on the colour and get a UK car, you should find one rather quick and can get started on the modification. As the others have said a 100 series IFS is the way to go.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Alwyn steve brought a very low mileage 100 he has a build thread going on here.
Stu

Cheers Stumog, made a rookie mistake but not checking the thread start date.

Alwyn.....yes well into the Land Cruiser now after 9 months of ownership. As Stu says above have got a build thread going on in the overland section - do a search on "hedgehog". As you can see I got a 100 Amazon.....and very pleased with it

Back