Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not a promising lead to my vacation!

Aaron93LC

Country Flag
united_states
It's two weeks to the day before I leave on a 2100 mile trip and my upper radiator hose started leaking at the fastener. I'm sure hoping this was a good thing (it happened now as opposed to on the road) as opposed to a harbinger of things to come.

:angry-screaming:

Aaron

Yep Aaron, that's the way, find the faults now before the off!

It's impossible to be 100% sure that the truck is sound! just check all the vitals and have some spares at hand! Good luck!

Very true Clive. Either way it sounds like I'm having a better time of it than you are! Best of luck with your Cruiser.

Very true Clive. Either way it sounds like I'm having a better time of it than you are! Best of luck with your Cruiser.

Cheers mate, chewed my nails down to the bone today, truck in service for 5 hours with no phonecall.

Not good news it seems. :(

Well, once I repaired the upper radiator hose it took a day and a half for the back of the radiator to start leaking. I pulled the fan shroud and it looks like something took a big bite out of the rear of the radiator. Honestly I've never seen anything like it. There was quite a bit of green corrosion on the back so I'm guessing the damage had been done some time ago but I can't figure out how it happened. There is a bit missing from the top of the fan shroud so perhaps something got kicked up and knocked about enough to do the deed. Either way I'm out a quick $250 US 12 days before a 2000 mile trip. I'm happy it didn't happen on the road or I'd be out added lodging and likely labor as well.

Now you're all fixed up, I'm looking forward to the trip report! I'm interested in your route, if you wish to disclose it...:whistle:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nothing overly exciting I'm afraid. I will be heading from the Oregon/Washington border down Interstate 5 to just north of Los Angeles to visit family with a few stops on the way to check in on old friends. The after 10 days we will head back up along the California coast to visit Big Sur and the redwood forests on the way back home. All paved roads. I must admit I was going to take my van as it gets twice the mpg, but the shop could not fit it in to have the head gasket replaced until after we will have left. Oh well, if I'm honest I'd rather drive the Cruiser. I just feel safer in it.

Nothing overly exciting I'm afraid. I will be heading from the Oregon/Washington border down Interstate 5 to just north of Los Angeles to visit family with a few stops on the way to check in on old friends. The after 10 days we will head back up along the California coast to visit Big Sur and the redwood forests on the way back home. All paved roads. I must admit I was going to take my van as it gets twice the mpg, but the shop could not fit it in to have the head gasket replaced until after we will have left. Oh well, if I'm honest I'd rather drive the Cruiser. I just feel safer in it.

Thanks for that! It sounds nosy, but I like browsing on googly earth. It can be almost as if you've visited the place yourself!

Thanks, and good luck with the trip :thumbup:

I love Google Earth Clive! I used to spin the world and then center in on wherever it stopped.

Sooooo..... I spent the last couple of days replacing the radiator and belts because I couldn't be bothered to watch a few videos and learn the quick and easy way to do it. Then the radiator I ordered came with the wrong length lower hose. Ah well. Several trips to the parts store later and the truck is back together again. No leaks and the belts are nice and snug. So, as to the route.......

8/3 All travel on Interstate 5
Leaving my home near Longview Washington
Breakfast with a friend I have not seen in 20 years in Eugene Oregon
Stop in Redding California to see another friend I have not seen in 20 years and to stop for the night

8/4 Leave Redding and travel south on Hwy 99 to Kingsburg CA to help a friend pack his moving trailer so he can head to Virginia
Possibly backtrack to Fresno to visit two other friends
Head south on Hwy 99 to Interstate 5
Interstate 5 south to Hwy 126 west near Santa Clarita
Hwy 126 west to Ventura
Surface streets to Oxnard, California.

Return trip will be up Hwy 1, otherwise known as Pacific Coast Hwy

If you are interested in other towns in CA I will be in Hawthorne, Camarillo, Simi Valley, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz. The rest of the trip is basically unplanned.

Thanks Aaron, just being mosey really, but I have traced your route (roughly) on googly, Big Sur looks promising, plenty of tracks there for you to explore! :lol:

I'm not sure I will get any off road time on this trip. To be honest I would be taking my other car for the MPG if not for a blown head gasket. The shop can't fit it in until after I return.

Back