Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80-Series overland build - "keep it simple"

MikesVX80

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Welcome to my 1993 Landcruiser 80-Series overland build thread, a 12-valve 4.2TD manual VX. To be honest, I couldn't decided between an 80 or 100, but I was struggling to find a decent 100 Series manual anywhere, and the 80 seems to be THE expedition vehicle of choice for many. Finding this car in the right spec with one lady owner for the last 21 years was just too good an opportunity to pass up, so here she is:
IMG_0738.JPG
Side:
IMG_0739.JPG
Rear:
IMG_0741.JPG

So far, the main change from standard is the addition of BFG A/T tyres, in a slightly larger than standard 285/75/16 fitment. I've also got a set of brand new Toyota roof bars (x3) to mount my Maggiolina Safari rooftent on (already had the RTT from a previous expedition vehicle, an ex-G4 challenge Range Rover Sport).

I have also fitted a towbar-mounted bikerack for my MTB and replaced the rear boot struts for ones that actually hold the lid up and stop it smacking me on the head!

Our motto for this build is "keep it simple" - so whilst we will have a few luxuries, I'm not going OTT - in fact, I firmly believe I could set off tomorrow and drive pretty much anywhere, but as we're not read to go yet I'm happy to spend my time making small improvements and changes. Spec for the rest of the vehicle is still TBC, for now I intend on driving it through this winter and iron out all the minor issues like slow electric windows, etc. But feel free to pop back and add comments/advice as and when!

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
So, one of my first jobs after sorting the window seals was to replace the original (but knackered) headunit for a Pioneer Bluetooth one (no CD slot = no moving parts = less to go wrong across rough terrain :thumbup:). Should be a simple job, but taking the entire dash panel out and disconnecting every switch is a royal PITA!

IMG_1027.JPG
Close-up:
IMG_1028.JPG
Finished:
IMG_1031.JPG

Sound quality is now much better, and it also connects to my phone handsfree which is useful for music streaming and making/taking phone calls legally! Has highlighted how dire the standard speakers are, which is my next thing to replace... :)

Last edited:
welcome to the joys of 80 ownership... One mod that is cheap with high impact is to change the interior lamp bulbs to led...it is amazing what difference it makes....

So this week I decided to fabricate some recovery points to replace the standard towing eyes at the front end; some 10mm thick L-Shape steel was procured, and then I drilled holes to match those on the standard towing eyes, knowing they would work position wise:

IMG_1138.JPG

Then I trimmed the front edge to make it more pedestrian friendly than a sharp corner (just in case!), painted them red and bolted them up:
IMG_1141.JPG

With shackles in place:
IMG_1144.JPG

So, another little job off the list! Next up is a visit to JV @ Overland Cruisers this week for a once-over and fuel pump tweaks... :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Latest update: took the old girl for her first visit to JV @ Overland Cruisers for a check-over and tune up. Good news all round; JV was impressed with the condition of the vehicle, the chassis is excellent and all the usual rust traps are OK (I've already had the front of the rear wheel arches cut out, welded up and repainted as a preventative measure).

One of my complaints was the lack of grunt low-down/off-boost, so with some tweaks to the fuel pump diaphragm and maximum boost pin the car drives MUCH better, with only a bit of smoke on full throttle - perfect.

The only thing on the car that really does need replacing is the suspension, which is tired. Not a problem, as it was something I would do regardless for my overland trip, so next up will be choosing a suitable suspension kit and getting that ordered! :)

IMG_1172.JPG

Haven't got a huge amount done this weekend; spent an hour trapping my fingers in the genuine Toyota roofbars I picked up off eBay, but eventually got them assembled and on the car without losing too much blood! So they're ready to put my Maggiolina rooftent on when needed. Oh, and last week I fitted a padded leather armrest from a later-model VX to replace the plastic lid/tray currently fitted.

IMG_1243.JPG

In the absence of having anything else to fit/do, I chucked the bike rack and my MTB bike on the back and went out for an XC ride instead :) Now I'm off to pick up some better 4" speakers to replace the ones under the dash this afternoon to compliment the upgraded headunit. Next up is ordering my EFS suspension kit and fitting that - big money time!!

Mike there is always fiddling and twiddling to be done. You just need to look harder :lol:

Mike there is always fiddling and twiddling to be done. You just need to look harder :lol:

You're quite right, Chris! I managed to get down to the nearest Halfords, picked up a set of 4" Vibe speakers to replace the dire OE dash-mounted items, and then spent some time fitting those. Passenger side was a piece of cake, panel comes off, plenty of wire to play with, etc. Driver's side was a nightmare; Toyota decided to save some pennies on the wire length, giving me about an inch of visible wire to play with. Add to that that the choke(?) cable didn't want to come free of the dash panel and I ended up wiring the news ones up in a very restricted environment! Scraped knuckles all round, but they're both in and sounding much better than the originals, so that's another job off the list...

Passenger side, easy peasy:
IMG_1266.JPG

Driver's side PITA:
IMG_1268.JPG

I think the "choke" cable is a manual "idle-up" where you can pull & twist lock for higher idle speed, like mine has. Good for crawling in a moving traffic jam, a sort of poor man's cruise control with no safety features mind :icon-rolleyes:

Yes, Clive. Or perhaps for when you are winching someone or maybe jump starting them.

Cruise control. Dear dear. The very though of it. I'd imagine you'd get somewhere around 60mph. I'd imagine.

Yes, Clive. Or perhaps for when you are winching someone or maybe jump starting them.

Cruise control. Dear dear. The very though of it. I'd imagine you'd get somewhere around 60mph. I'd imagine.

Nowhere near TBH Chris, it only picks up to about 1,300 revs. The PM CC was meant as a joke really, but I have used it in a slow crawl traffic jam. :icon-rolleyes:

I'm just saying that it might be possible to adjust that Clive and for someone stupid enough to do so, 60 mph could be quite achievable. Especially in an auto that doesn't have cruise

I'm just saying that it might be possible to adjust that Clive and for someone stupid enough to do so, 60 mph could be quite achievable. Especially in an auto that doesn't have cruise

Be a bit scary that Chris, a bit like resting a brick on the throttle...:eusa-naughty:

I really wouldn't know.

Anyway, where's this choke cable thing?

Anyway, where's this choke cable thing?

I'm pointing at it in the second pic, to the left of the fusebox. I think as Clive says, a fast idle controller is more likely..!

On my cheapo imitation foreign 80, it's just to the right of the key but lower down.

...but don't forget we drive on the right side of the road here... :whistle:

Sorry Mike we're just messing about, aren't you Clive. Yes it's the hand throttle.

Back