Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear axle blown oil out of breather

Brett

Country Flag
uk
So as per title, noticed a trail of oil leading off my drive yesterday and on climbing under the truck, found the diff cover soaked in oil, initially though it was the AHC pipe but its gear oil blown out of the breather hose.

Any ideas why this would randomly happen? I've just ordered a new hose assembly and valve, union etc as I can only think the valve was seized and allowed the axle case to overpressurise, then when it finally blew, it was a gusher. Once it has oil in the hose. it starts siphoning as well?

Just ordered all the oil and bits from Mr T.

If you have been wading with a hot diff it could suck in water past the seals?

Good answer that Ben , axle could be full of water creating enough pressure to jam the breather on the long hot drive home , then it released as it cooled over night .

Good answer that Ben , axle could be full of water creating enough pressure to jam the breather on the long hot drive home , then it released as it cooled over night .
As per reply to Ben, no wading involved. It looks like it happened from cold as well, it was when I reversed off my drive, could see the trail of oil, then drove to girlfriends, 12.5 miles, where I parked up over night, and it decided to spew a big patch overnight.

Drop the oil and measure what comes out , could be water has been in there a long time and the breather finally came unstuck ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If water has got into the diff casing and enough to raise the oil level enough to throw it out of the breather, the diff will wear rapidly. I hope that's not the case. An immediate drain, inspection and flush/refill is imperative.

If you have been wading with a hot diff it could suck in water past the seals?
How would this work? Hot high pressure diff suddenly cools thanks to the water and lowers its pressure sucking in water past axle seals?
But deffo agree that taking out existing oil for an inspection is unavoidable.

If water has got into the diff casing and enough to raise the oil level enough to throw it out of the breather, the diff will wear rapidly. I hope that's not the case. An immediate drain, inspection and flush/refill is imperative.
Collecting the oil and new hose parts at lunchtime today, the oil patch on the drive is completely clean.

If there is water in the diff, the first thing out of the drain plug hole should be water, or possibly an emulsified oil/water mix. If it's clean oil then I think you can safely assume there's no water in there.

If there is water in the diff, the first thing out of the drain plug hole should be water, or possibly an emulsified oil/water mix. If it's clean oil then I think you can safely assume there's no water in there.
Well it wasn't the rear axle. It is the usual AHC pipe that runs on top the crossmember that rots out. That was my initial thought but the colour of the fluid and the the spray pattern above the diff breather made me suspect the diff. AHC fluid goes in pink but comes out yellow!

Annoying, just spent £200 on GL5 and a new diff breather hose!

Fair play to you , we live and learn only if we share mistakes along with our successes so thanks for posting .

Well it wasn't the rear axle. It is the usual AHC pipe that runs on top the crossmember that rots out. That was my initial thought but the colour of the fluid and the the spray pattern above the diff breather made me suspect the diff. AHC fluid goes in pink but comes out yellow!

Annoying, just spent £200 on GL5 and a new diff breather hose!
£200 on GL5 ? or is the hose gold ?

The oil is approx. £21 a litre, need 4.2L for rear diff so 5 bottles, breather hose assembly, union and 2 crush washers was over £40, then Jeremy Hunts cut. :tearsofjoy:

Back