Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rover 3.5 V8 in a hj45

Jimmyb59

Country Flag
uk
Hi has anyone put a Rover 3.5 V8 in a hj45 . If so is there gearbox conversion kit so I can keep the original gear box . My head has cracked on my H engine thanks

Hi has anyone put a Rover 3.5 V8 in a hj45 . If so is there gearbox conversion kit so I can keep the original gear box . My head has cracked on my H engine thanks
A few years ago Rover V8 in a Hilux was common.......
The rover V8 is getting long in the tooth now and suffers from porous blocks I believe..... Turner Engineering in Sussex have a good reputation for machining and sorting the V8's .

The Rover engine, being aluminium, is a lot lighter than any of the Toyota 6-pot engines and may possibly give you an unsprung weight problem/s with your truck.
Like Grimbo says - it's an old engine - which was first debuted by Buick in 1951 and is probably why most folks going V8 choose the 350 Chevy motor which these days is a lot easier to find and numerous companies do the conversion plate/bell housing to suit.
Unless, of course, you have a Rover V8 in the back of the garage.

Various LRs, in the past, used that engine so maybe one of their adaptor plates or bellhousings would be a suitable starting point.

Regards,

Rodger

The Rover engine, being aluminium, is a lot lighter than any of the Toyota 6-pot engines and may possibly give you an unsprung weight problem/s with your truck. Like Grimbo says - it's an old engine - which was first debuted by Buick in 1951 and is probably why most folks going V8 choose the 350 Chevy motor which these days is a lot easier to find and numerous companies do the conversion plate/bell housing to suit. Unless, of course, you have a Rover V8 in the back of the garage. Various LRs, in the past, used that engine so maybe one of their adaptor plates or bellhousings would be a suitable starting point. Regards, Rodger
I'm not anti the old 3.5 or it's later bigger capacity brothers....
I had a Rover SDI with the twin plenum V8 that was an ex unmarked police car , I also had several V8 3.5 and 3.9 V8 Rangies .... and a TR7 V8 works spec rally car with a cross bolted all steel dry sumped 3.5 V8 on quad twin choke 48 webbers..... it revved to around 7 thousand and was circa 300 hp.... a great car and a great engine ... with a close ratio 5 speed box it accelerated through the gears on the limiter as fast as you could change gear.....
If you have a Rover V8 just make sure it's sorted before you fit it......

Back