Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What we do at weekends whenever we get the chance.

OH!.... to live on the other side of the country!!
Looks great Andy, just wish I lived a bit closer!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Do you guys have dedicated vehicles for these adventures or are they modded daily drivers?

I've had the 80 for 10 years now, it used to be transport but now its a dedicated green laner/ camper. The others are a bit of a mix I guess, the FJ is a daily and some of the others are used to get to work but some are a bit extreme for daily's. When they are good for the rough stuff they are not so good for the road.
Being a "Jap" club there is a good mix there , Isuzu Troopers, Nissan Patrols, LandCruisers both 80's and 90's with the occasional 120, Suzuki's, etc etc. This makes it quite interesting to compare both the different engineering concepts and the off roading capabilities.
One thing I have found is how robust the 80 is, nothing broken yet which has surprised even me.

Not home these days much these days are you Andy. Good on you. Looks good.

Looks like great fun , its a real mental workout when your tyre treads are so full of mud they may as well be slicks and momentum is your only asset , but where will momentum take you when you have no grip .

I've tried so hard to get a young cousin of mine who wrecks any 4x4 he can get his hands on in short order off roading that its the brain teaser and the prize of driving home undamaged that makes it fun .

Another weekend we had recently, Peak District round Buxton and then Holmfirth across Saddleworth Moor.

Nothing too challenging, just a bimble across the moors but a very enjoyable weekend.

Went on one this weekend. was described as " not for the inexperienced" but we went anyway to somewhere called Llanyblodwel in the middle of nowhere and lanes to the west of there.
The lanes were brutal to say the least with big steps and very deep ruts and very intrusive undergrowth. Needless to say there was plenty of panel damage and mirrors knocked off with the 80 suffering as much as most.

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

The roof tent bought it too, this is the reason I had the Maggi on top as it's a bit sacrificial.

WDQJ7988.JPG

To add insult 20 miles on the way home there was a bang from the front end and a load of bumping and grinding so we had to ne recovered and got home at midnight.

IMG_1202.JPG

other damage
IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

All in all it was a great fun weekend with challenging lanes. Probably a tricked up Jimny would have fared better.

Having a month off ( as are we all) to effect some repairs. It'll be interesting to see what the front axle gives up and I've ordered a big tin of filler and a body file.

Ouch .

Dents aside I'd clean it and spray it with halfords rattle can making zero attempt of doing it tidy then attack it with an electric polisher and pink stuff paste aiming to remove the halfords paint . I think you would be surprised by the result and then you can take a look at what might be done .

Hi Andy I had a cousin who was very good at braille'driving I am very sorry to see that hope you get it back up and running all the best Tony.

And thats why you have a td5 disco for £500. I am glad you had fun Andy but I'd be pissed if my cruiser came out of a track with that much damage

Because a landrover can be aesthetically restored with a sweeping brush and a bucket of paint .

Back