Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 series Alternator

nathanrobo

Guys

I think I know the answer to this... my wife reported the car being sluggish to start earlier and for some reason the diff lock light illuminated, so she left it on the drive. When I got home, I got in and it very nearly didn't start, but when it did, all of the lights on the dash stayed on for 30 seconds or so. I reversed it a few feet and the diff lock released.

Anyway I noticed that the gauge showing the charging Volts was reading about half way (9 volts) where it normally reads 14 volts ish (about 3/4 of the way up). Is this a failing alternator?

first check the battery terminals are tight, and the connections are clean

then check there is no wiring loose on the back of the alternator and if thats ok

put a multimeter across the battery, you should get 12 v with the engine off and about 14.2 volts with the engine running.

then its probably the alternator,

unless you have another clue, like you know to have done deep water stuff etc.

Last edited:
first check the battery terminals are tight, and the connections are clean

then check there is no wiring loose on the back of the alternator and if thats ok

put a multimeter across the battery, you should get 12 v with the engine off and about 14.2 volts with the engine running.

then its probably the alternator,

unless you have another clue, like you know to have done deep water stuff etc.

Checked the batteries... one of them needed dionised water and both needed a charge. Also drove through a Ford on Saturday. Update tomorrow

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Charged batteries, ran the car for 40 mins, switched off and guess what... Won't start. Volt gauge is only reading about 11 - 12 volts. Seeming more like the Alternator

what was the volt gauge showing while it was running? Did you check the battery terminal connections are tight? Can you use a multimeter and get accurate readings rather than relying on the dash guage?

Jon

The voltage across the battery was dropping on tick over and under 12 volts, but climbed slightly when revved to about 2k rpm. One of my batteries had gone dry, which might have nailed the alternator.

i had the same problem on my way to Nantes last week, but with dash lights flickering and battery running flat, on the left hand side Battery facing engine (right hand terminal) there is a Grey connection, this wire was hanging on a thread, cut it top and bottom (IE removed the grey connector) and joined the wire, problem solved... hmmm reminds me, must solder it.

I thought Jon was going to comment on trying to drive through a Ford Fiesta :whistle:

I thought Jon was going to comment on trying to drive through a Ford Fiesta :whistle:
:lol: well remembered, it did pop a front tyre off the rim so I did notice hitting it, nearly made us late for our day out :lol:

i had the same problem on my way to Nantes last week, but with dash lights flickering and battery running flat, on the left hand side Battery facing engine (right hand terminal) there is a Grey connection, this wire was hanging on a thread, cut it top and bottom (IE removed the grey connector) and joined the wire, problem solved... hmmm reminds me, must solder it.

I'll check that... Thanks N

Removing the Alternator, what a pain, I thought LC's were field serviceable??

Anyway, removed the tensioner and the belts and the long bolt that fixes into the cast mounting bracket. The Alt pivots but if feels too tight to remove it from the mounting bracket. Any ideas? I'm hoping that I don't have to remove the cast bracket as there are all sorts of other things that bolt into it, such as aircon pipes etc.

if you've took the long bolt out of the bottom it should pull off, casting stays on the block. On an 80 it's easiest to take the air box out for access if you still have an aircon compressor in the way, don't know about on a 100?

Thanks Jon

Spoke to Karl earlier and he told me the same. Job for first thing in the morning.

New alternator, ready to fit... the driveway looks like a river and I can't find anywhere open for a new pair of batteries! Well when it rains, it pours!

Back