Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 Series Centre Diff Lock Issues

Aussie Doug

Country Flag
australia
Hi Cruiser Folks,

I have enjoyed reading all the posts over the last few months, as just purchased recently 98 HZJ 105R Auto.
vehicle pretty stock except for Safari turbo & inter-cooler on the 1HZ, and a Ironman front bar !

Now begins the journey building tourer with 19 year old son, with hopefully a 60 series to follow or another 100 series !

I have read many threads with diff lock issues from 80 to 100 series, they all have slightly different scenarios !

Hopefully someone can shed some light here.

Firstly when the ignition is switched on there is no centre diff lock light to see, or when the car is started and the switch on the dash is pressed, still no light or sign of activation ?
vehicle drives fine with no shudder if locked on ? furthermore i have pulled apart the glove-box area to try and locate the centre diff lock relay, do you think i could find it :grimacing:
however when I select low range i can here the relay clicking in glove-box area ! but no light on dash ? can the relay still be partially faulty ?

Next i have removed the transfer indicator switch from top of centre diff, from another (post) i tried tapping it gently running some voltage through via battery and multi meter, and cleaned with lectra fluid, when transfer switch pushed in it appears to have continuity with meter, but maybe flaky ?

Going back should the dash light come on anyway even if relay, dash switch & transfer switch are faulty ?

I haven't jacked up car to check actuator operation or pulled out dash switch and check with multi meter.

Hopefully some of you good folk can assist here.

Doug

Ho Doug
I don't know if I am reading this right but the light won't come on till it is locked up so switch on and drive and see if it drops into lock, and then if it has and it won't come out after you have switched off just do a bit of reverse and forward with the stearing in a streight line

G,Day Steve,

Thank you for your reply
At no stage does the dash light come on, when activating dash button, or turning on ignition when all dash lights are illuminated ?
Also when placed in low range, I can hear CDL relay clicking, but no lights.
I do not feel that diff lock is active ?
what is faulty ?

1. switch on dash
2. relay
3. cdl actuator switch on centre differential
4. actuator motor
5. fuse ?
6. combination

I am new to 100 series, and loving it !

Doug.

Keen to know if you've have any further progress Doug?

Following this thread 'cause I'm having a similar issue, no CDL light shows up when first turning ignition, nor does it come on when I push the button, but I am hearing a click and buzz when I push the button and it definitely feels like it's on when I drive slow in circles on loose gravel.

Tried swapping out the switch on the top of the transfer case with a new one like everyone else but no luck so far. Maybe I need to try voltage test and clean terminals like mentioned.

Kirk.

Back