Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 series getting hot

steven

hi
i have a 1999 100 series 4.5 petrol that gets hot when in traffic or towing my boat , boat weighs approx 1100kg. i have replaced the radiator {after market},clutch fan,thermostat and the coolant which is genuine Toyota . this was all done by at the local radiator shop ,he also checked the water pump and it was ok . car is still over heating does any one have any other directions i can follow . it has 250000 k on it. i have not let it get to the point where it boils .
thanks steve

Double check the temperature it runs at when the problem occurs. Could it be a faulty reading?

Frank

was the radiator replaced and then you had the overheating issues? or did the overheating issues occur and you changed the radiator thinking it would solve the issue?

where was the radiator supplied from?
Do you know how the water pump was checked?
was the fan a new genuine Toyota item?
Thermostat genuine Toyota?
System is bleed properly?
has the garage done a sniff test on the coolant to rule out a blown HG?

I dont like to throw money at changing parts, but is there anyone else with a coolant cap you can test/borrow? most of the Japanese brand coolant caps are the same...just check they are the same pressure rating which should be stamped on the top... where are you based? I don't think it will be this, but it rules it out.

Last edited:
The reason we replaced the radiator because the old one had a crack near the cap on the top. At that stage there was no cooling problem. The radiator is an after market one supplied by the radiator shop. That was all that was changed. Started to notice It getting hot, so took It back then replaced the clutch fan (non genuine) That didn't make a difference so replaced thermostat and coolant all genuine. That has made no difference, as for the water pump mechanic assures me it is fine. Mechanic did a pressure flush so I am assuming that means it was bleed properly. After sitting in traffic and temp rising, only have to drive about 500 mtrs down the road and temp goes back to normal. Checking gauge tomorrow. I am in Australia. Thanks for your suggestions.

If you have only started having cooling issues after the radiator was replaced, I would look at the radiator that was supplied ensuring it was the correct one and a decent brand, there have been similar issues with a cheap radiator supplied by a company other here causing similar issues. I think this is this the culprit.

Last edited:
Back