Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 Series, Petrol v Diesel

Looks a top job. Saw one in France when I did the Cros, like them. This would be worth watching. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last Saturday we topped up our LC100 with £75.00 of unleaded and £30.00 of LPG. Since then we have done about 75 miles messing around town and the petrol gauge hasn't moved ONCE. So now, there is no contest. What I've now got is the best of both worlds. All the silky smooth power I could ever want from a 4.7 V8 Prins LPG powerplant, along with all the economy of a diesel. Yes, you can have your cake and eat it. It'll cost you £2.5K (unless you're Jon Wildsmith). HAPPY DAZE!

:D :D :D

John

The Dark Dude

Since adding my Arduino gadget I've gotten a better idea of MPG from my truck and I was quite surprised. The first proper measured run on petrol with it all calibrated accurately, with a mixture of towing our (small 1200kg) caravan 50 miles, some town work, some solo driving like there were pins under my right foot returned 17.9mpg :o The only problem being it does my head in big time to drive like that so I still think 15 is a more realistic figure. I've only done a measured tank of LPG on town driving so far and this town is all hills and short journeys so 12.5mpg still is better than I expected :) Will be interesting to see what it does on a tank of LPG on the open road. Fuel used was measured by brimming the tanks at the same pumps each time, I don't really have any more accurate way to measure it. Remember this is a modified truck - messed up air flow from the lift and big tyres, more weight to drag along, increased rolling resistance from wider tyres ...

Well I intend to keep my truck as near to standard trim as possible (with the major departure being the eventual change to AT tyres). On the 53 mile run to Rochester from Bishop Stortford at a steady average of 50mph, I guestimate that I managed to squeeze 19 mpg out of the truck running on 4 star unleaded ;) . Don't get me wrong, it was one of the most painful journey's I've ever taken in my life, watching the fuel gauge drop faster than a lead balloon but I proved than it is possible with a light foot and a clear road, to get close to that magic 20mpg figure in a LC100. Unlike Jon, my speedy junkie days are long behind me but only time will tell what kind of return I'll get with LPG. 1st impressions! I can live with the 5% loss of fuel economy of LPG over that of petrol but as yet I doubt I'm in that boat (closer to 2% me thinks).

John

The Dark Dude

Bit late I know, but has anyone got any figures for LPG mpg whilst towing a twin axle or 1800kg, I'm guessing that with the more powerfull torquey engine it's less difference than that of a 120 or 90 for example !
Also has anyone bothered to work the figures back to £ per mile so I can draw up some comparisons against diesel :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Never really did the mpg sums when we first had mine and used it for towing our approx 1800kg Compass Rallye 635 but tbh I didn't notice any real difference but that's in terms of I never thought blimey that tank went fast something must be wrong :) The safe choice is the diesel and if running costs are a significant factor then it's a bit of a none choice really, you *might* match the running costs using LPG but you've got to find it and find it more often vs a diesel. IMO the reason you'd buy a petrol is because the diesel drives like an older generation diesel and the petrol doesn't :) and then you add LPG to extend your range or reduce your costs.

Thanks Jon, it is a no brainer really for fuel, but I have say the sound a V8 does turn me on some what, oooer mrs :lol:

I love it Nick but I don't seem to think about fuel the same way as most people :) This V8 is the cheapest motor I've had to fuel in at least the last decade or more and I can't think when the real world cost of putting a grin on my face has been so cheap :mrgreen: I don't worry about the cost per mile unless I'm trying to estimate how many euro's I need in my wallet to pay for a few thousand miles of fuel, I think about the percentage of disposable income and the trend since I was 17 and trying to run the likes of SD1 V8's on a crap income makes current day motoring seem almost free :lol:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have to second Jon's motion. My V8 (Prins) LPG now has no equal. I've been driving my LC100 for five months now and apart from some early teething problems, it's been all plain sailing. On a recent trip to Preston, my passengers were reduced to near silence, they were that impressed with the overall performance of my silky smooth motor. It's just got to be one of the best combo's money can buy and the great thing is, the more you drive the more you save. I now average around 18mpg and with the price of LPG less than half than the price of unleaded 4 star, I can live with those type of figures. It's been the singular best decision I've made in terms of motoring for a long, long time. The only way I'd touch a diesel now, is if I won the lottery and wanted to export one to South Africa for a bit of off-road safari bashing. Yes, finding a LPG filling station while on your travels does take a bit of pre-planning on your part but it's not impossible and if you're using the major A and B roads, very practical. Installing the latest LPG POI onto your GPS device will help but if push comes to shove I always keep enough petrol in the car to get me out of trouble, if the needs arise. Otherwise it's happy motoring.

The Other John

The Dark Dude

That does sound good, 18mpg on LPG at half the price of petrol equates to the equivalent of 36mpg at full price . the one concern I would have with LPG would be when will the government get greedy and decide to whack the fuel duty up :doh: Is there any reduction to the road tax with less fuel emissions of LPG ?

I believe you can get a £10 discount if you register it as dual fuel :roll:

Jon and me can only make hay while the sun shines. The rest we leave to Jesus.

The Other John

The Dark Dude

Mine hasn't had any gas for a couple of months, it mostly drinks super unleaded at home ;)

Jon Wildsmith said:
Mine hasn't had any gas for a couple of months, it mostly drinks super unleaded at home ;)

Shame on you! And you live in the LPG capital of the world......

The Other John

Dark Dude

Still 65p a litre here, will get a tank full later to use up at the weekend :)

Didn't make it to the LPG place but did fill up with petrol and got 16.2mpg over the last tank full of regular unleaded (no super available last time) according to the gadget. Most of that tank was Welsh B roads following sunday drivers :(

Jon Wildsmith said:
Still 65p a litre here, will get a tank full later to use up at the weekend :)

Jon

You should be so lucky. I'm paying 74p per litre in Walthamstow and you can't find a LPG filling station in LPG central. Don't figure? Your LPG conversion is still operational, isn't it? My Prinns VSi system is currently running as sweet as a nut (touch wood), so no problems here. Last week I topped up the petrol tank with £70 of unleaded which should see me good, well into the new year. The point is that the price of petrol is only heading in one direction, ever skywards. That being the case, I can't understand your reluctance in filling up with LPG, unless you know something and you're not telling...... :?:

The Other John

The Dark Dude

The Shell garages want 75ppl but Lister Gas in Cradley are 65ppl and very popular, just ask a taxi driver where they get their LPG and you'll find the cheapest local source ;) I've used some LPG this weekend John, happy now? :mrgreen:

Jon Wildsmith said:
The Shell garages want 75ppl but Lister Gas in Cradley are 65ppl and very popular, just ask a taxi driver where they get their LPG and you'll find the cheapest local source ;) I've used some LPG this weekend John, happy now? :mrgreen:

Damn Right, Straight up! :cool: :cool: :cool:. Weird that thing you said about taxi drivers because it doesn't apply in London. Can't wait to get back to Wolves so I can fill up on the cheap stuff.

The Other John

The Dark Dude

Back