Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 Series Solid Axle Swap

Ben Stratford

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Considering a potential project consisting of acquiring a 100 and swapping front axle to solid axle from 80 series possibly?
Has anyone done this - essentially creating a 105 series?
What is involved? Pro’s & Con’s?
Thanks in anticipation

would it be easier to put the 100 engine in the 80

would it be easier to put the 100 engine in the 80
Yes that would be easier I guess but I dont have an 80 or a 100 yet. Finding a good 80 now is really difficult so was thinking about a late 100 series about 2007 year. Prefer solid axle for the front. 105’s are very rare in UK so some creativity is needed.
So has anyone done the front axle swap?

I think the 105 and 100 chassis at the front is very different, I could be wrong. I think the 100 is quite a bit wider. Or I might be thinking compared to an 80.

Very different chassis all round 100 to a 105 chassis better off trying to get a 105 or put diff locks front and rear as for the swap not been done that I know of as there is plenty of 105s in OZZ maybe look abroad and import one no salt on roads here no rust

Think this has been asked before and I think the general consensus is you would end up in a world of pain. The front end of both chassis are completely different 80to 100 and 100 to 105 again I believe I read are nothing alike. Not saying it can't be done. I think youd ruin a very underrated off road truck by cutting a good 100. They are more than capable off the beaten track for all but the harshest terrain. On the road they are superb. I'm gonna take some flak here I know but I've personally never been quite sure where the 105s fit in. The ones I've seen are basic inside compared to a 100, so I cant imagine it's for comfort as its solid up front just like an 80, and less luxury and harsher ride than a 100. Just waiting on the barrage of bullets!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Another thing is if it’s a uk car you’d probably have to go and have it put through a similar test to a kit car, as you’d have moved the suspension mounts on the front, Iva type thing.

I’m breaking a 100 that il have a chassis if you wanted one to chop and have a play with.

Trail taylor in the US / on ih8mud, do a bracket kit for this conversion. It's a compromise though. I agree with gav.

They’re doing it a bit in the US, and results can be good. But the work involved is considerable, as are the components. And then you’re going a long way from stock.

105 chassis is very similar to 80 series - the body mounts are different but that’s about it. 100 is totally different, as is well noted. One (among many) issues is that the chassis is flat around the front axle with IFS, whereas 105 has a big arch. This means you start with something like a 6” lift.

If you’re really keen, and getting hold of a 105 is not an option (have you looked into getting a roller from Australia? 100 body will bolt straight up), I reckon moving the body mounts from a 100 onto an 80 chassis could be worth investigating.

As an HDJ105 owner, all I can really confirm is yes they are awesome - in my mind without a doubt the best wagon that will ever be built :D

Thanks very much for all your insight and advice. Agree now thats too much trouble and expense.
So Im back to importing a rust free triple locked manual 80 or 105 which is just about affordable.
Need to come up with a way to induce my wife to tell me that is what we need to do. Now thats the tricky bit!

Thanks very much for all your insight and advice. Agree now thats too much trouble and expense.
So Im back to importing a rust free triple locked manual 80 or 105 which is just about affordable.
Need to come up with a way to induce my wife to tell me that is what we need to do. Now thats the tricky bit!
Wouldn’t it be easier and cheaper to get a UK 80 rather than import one? 105 is a hell of a car though - quite a few advantages over 80, although no one ground breaking one.
Hang on. What is an HDJ105 (?)
Just what people call a 105 that’s had an FTE put in it. Sadly not a factory item - we need to make what Toyota should have… it’s a actually a pretty common conversion here - uses all factory parts and turns out very well. If you were going to the trouble importing a 105, and you wanted the best - it could be worth considering one already converted. Although maybe buying a petrol 105 and converting it in the UK would end up a fair bit cheaper

Last edited:
you would need to try and find one in the UK with no rust ?? like looking for hens teeth depending on the money you have it would be good to get one from somewhere that dose not have salt on roads so you would have a good start on the project once got it into the UK get it treated and it would last a very long time, you might even find one thats already been converted with the FTE engine then you would have one hell of a 105 series
I have a 100 series UZJ100 Sahara and a 1989 62 series GXL

I have a 105 so all set on that front. I just want sure what a hdj105 is since Toyota don't have one.

it's a aussie mix and match works a treat and you end up with one hell of a 105 series to do anything with a mighty heart to go just about anywhere and it is basically a bolt in application using Toyota parts and a FTE engine

you would need to try and find one in the UK with no rust ?? like looking for hens teeth depending on the money you have it would be good to get one from somewhere that dose not have salt on roads so you would have a good start on the project once got it into the UK get it treated and it would last a very long time, you might even find one thats already been converted with the FTE engine then you would have one hell of a 105 series
I have a 100 series UZJ100 Sahara and a 1989 62 series GXL
Sure, the rust I see on UK cars makes me shiver… we get a bit of windscreen surround rust due to frequent glass changes (dirt roads and trucks flicking stones up) but chassis rust is pretty much unheard of with 105s here, unless ex mine or heavy beach use. Same with 80s I guess.
I have a 105 so all set on that front. I just want sure what a hdj105 is since Toyota don't have one.
Nice - hzj or fzj? How did you get it?
it's a aussie mix and match works a treat and you end up with one hell of a 105 series to do anything with a mighty heart to go just about anywhere and it is basically a bolt in application using Toyota parts and a FTE engine
Spot on. I put the fte in my 105 3 years/120k km ago - it still puts a smile on my face every time I get in it!

XukS38al.jpg

eRrrCk6l.jpg

Back