Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 series wiper modification

warrenpfo

I have mentioned it in the past as one of my irritations on the 100 series and that is it does not have a one wipe front windscreen function.

You can pull the stork towards you and spray the screen along with 3 wipes and then a 5 second delay and a final 4[SUP]th[/SUP] wipe or you can go down one to auto and hope it wipes or down two and get the slowest of the continuous wipe option but NO one blip up as in most Toyotas to give you one wipe.

My thinking is that with the eminent removal of the front OEM bumper with my headlight squirters, the push button on the end of the wiper control stork will not be needed and so could I mod it so that when it is pushed it gives me one wipe on the front windscreen???

Having had a look I have located the headlight squirter relay for the pump so my question is….

I assume the relay is a simple on and off type for the pump so that it either sprays water or not when the button is pushed. With that in mind is the best thing for me to do is from the relay locate the windscreen wiper motor and wire it in OR find the windscreen wiper relay and wire from the one relay to the other.

I hope this makes sense.

What an excelent idea. Yes, that's really something missing on the 100. Particularly as the auto is no good during the winter.
Why not wire the the switches together, or as close to the stalk as poss? Just snip off the 2 wires from the HL wash sw and connect them across the Lo or Hi switch. With the EWD in hand it's only a q about tracing the colours.

Maybe it's worth while doing that even with the HL washers in place? They are no good anyhow - They don't do much. I would wire it to the Hi speed, and switch off the automatic single wipe 5 secs after washing. (techstream)

Shame to say, but this is where my 1997 Mondeo is better: One down for a single stroke, and then up-up-up for countinous. The only other fault on the 100 (while we are at it) is the controls for the hvac on the non-navi post-2002 models. But that's all, otherwise things work wonderfully well.

BTW, I heard about another mod (for the opposite stalk): adding a relay for triple-blink when you push the turn-indicator switch half way. Useful for lane changes and exiting roundabouts.

Do your headlights not have to be on for the washer to work? They do on the 120.... which is also missing the single 'highway sweep' function that SWMBOs Yaris has. Grrr!

According to the EWD the headlight washer is wired through the headlight relay but you could probably trace that wire to somewhere you could break into it and make your own connection. The wiper motor has an ECU controlling it so you could probably fool it into thinking you momentarily selected a normal wipe mode. Alternatively, one of the wires to the motor looks like if you powered it for a short interval it would run for one wipe so a changeover relay on that to switch it to run from the rewired washer button would probably work.

Hmmmm not as simple as I had hoped but still well worth the effort to get a single wipe option.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
According to the EWD the headlight washer is wired through the headlight relay but you could probably trace that wire to somewhere you could break into it and make your own connection. The wiper motor has an ECU controlling it so you could probably fool it into thinking you momentarily selected a normal wipe mode. Alternatively, one of the wires to the motor looks like if you powered it for a short interval it would run for one wipe so a changeover relay on that to switch it to run from the rewired washer button would probably work.
Hmmmm not as simple as I had hoped but still well worth the effort to get a single wipe option.
Why? Forget all about relays and HL washer function. Open the cover under/behind the steering wheel, cut the wires from the washer switch and connect them to the ones from the wiper switch. Finished.

Back