Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120mph 80 series

Higgy

Country Flag
denmark
Recently purchased me 80. how ever when you set off the speedo instantly wizzes round to 120 and then just bobs around for the rest of the journey. Are they gear driven/cable, off the gearbox/ front diff etc. Are they prone for being temperamental/crap.. ?

Not a common issue higgy but we do see issues.
Could be the sensor on the box or the clocks.
interested if anyone has any other ideas

Recently purchased me 80. how ever when you set off the speedo instantly wizzes round to 120 and then just bobs around for the rest of the journey. Are they gear driven/cable, off the gearbox/ front diff etc. Are they prone for being temperamental/crap.. ?

Yours is cable driven so I'd start with the cable and gearbox end. If its the speedo its self let me know I've got a couple of old units available.

My guess would be the internal hair spring in the speedo has broken or become detached. Possible cause… water damage from a poorly refitted windscreen.

I did a thread on here about getting to and repairing the later speedos which might help you get your dash apart. Then get the binnacle out followed by the speedo itself which in your case will need the cable released from the back. A spare on hand would mean you can swap parts or the whole unit before putting it all back. Taking the dash apart can seem a bit daunting but it only really goes back one way as long as you’re methodical it’s not too bad.

Welcome to ownership of a solid repairable vehicle.

Thanks Andy/Karl/SC.. Il investigate. Its good to have a rough idea where to start.. Thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
dont know year of your Higgy. andy may be right with the age of it.
ill have a couple if ypu want to compare prices

Its my guess that the inner cable ( which has a good degree of flexibility) is being wound up at the gearbox end and then due to a constriction somewhere is releasing now and again at the speedo end not relative to the gearbox driven speed. ( if you see what I mean) . I'd take the inner cable out if you can, examine it fir damage, lubricate and re fit. before you fit the gearbox end try it with your fingers and see how it feels and if the speedo registers movement.
The symptoms indicate a cable problem more than a gauge problem.

Seconded Andy. Dry or damaged cable suddenly being released and whizzing round giving incorrect road speed. Then acting partly wound up then releasing during a constant road speed. If the needle returns to zero when car not moving the return hair spring is OK. Very common back in the day, in fact I never saw a steady speedo then.

Thanks Chaps.. its not a priority but its another to add to the list... Years and Years of off roading mud is my enemy at the moment... But the upside is the Chassis is in Excellent condition:thumbup:

Back