Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

my '95 - new to LC's

jonnyboy54321

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Right, you've seen me lurking about, trying to snaffle parts. Well, here's my story:-

Am a landscaper by trade, massive car enthusiast/tinkerer, facing 2nd ankle rebuild in three years, hence trying to keep my car spendage to a sensible level. Have recently got into Saabs in a big way (which involved basically buying more projects than I would ever have the time to complete, so with the date looming I am having a bit of a fire-sale. We have a small secondary business selling good quality "first" cars - Fiestas, 206's and the likes. Not averse at all to cat c and cat d cars if they are "right".
Had a history of 4x4's as a second (my) car - ML500, Navara d40, Lexus RX300, four Discoveries, and recently, a fated p38 bought with the heart not the head. Not into the laning and all the mods that go with it - although do like a wee play in the snow...

So we had a need for something I can jump in, chuck about, that is torquey, reliable, will deal with snow, will pull a house down, and doesn't look "out of place". Needs a good towing capacity for my 2.6 ton trailer. Automatic a priority so I can stay mobile while in a cast, and cos I like them, and cos Mrs JB only passed her test in an auto. So, on the strength of my mate badgering me to buy his LC Colo d4d for two years, and when I am finally ready to he won't sell it, I bought this:-
21111383_1X.jpg 21111383_4X.jpg21111383_9X.jpg21111383_AX.jpg

A cat c 98 Colo GX with 127k, history unknown as cat c. No chassis damage, but slam panel/headlamp panels a bit twisted.
Got it home, runs and drives, then started searching for bits. OMG, did not realise how scare stuff is for them - after having D1, d2 and p38, I was always used to a ready supply.
Went on hol, searched in vain for bits while away. Not good.
Came back, still struggled for bits. Regretted buying. Found forums, still couldn't find bits. Had a bit of a result on a bumper, as soon as I did I started managing to find other stuff but ended up buying rad/condenser/indicators and one headlamp as new. Found a guy in Middx breaking one and asset stripped it ruthlessly.
Struggled like hell to get all gaps right as 2nd headlamp was missing thanks to an idiot courier. Finally, this week, this happened:-
20130920_143158.jpg20130920_143208.jpg20130920_143126.jpg20130920_143137.jpg

- a PITA as when you don't know exactly how things are meant to go, its not easy to get gaps etc correct. To be honest I am not happy with it as I am a pedantic b*gger, so will have some more jiggery pokery at some point. Gave her the once over, booked her in, and apart from one headlamp all was good, tester likes it, its a good one he reckons. Back home with the all important bit of paper, did the online MOT check and also booked the VIC test to get a logbook so it can be taxed. MOT check showed it was a south coast car, and had been MOT'd regular at a main dealers. Spoke to them, they have loads of history inc timing belt right up to 2012 but will only send to previous owner :(
So when I get the logbook I will sort out a letter to p/o to ask nicely. Could be quite a result with a bit of legwork.
Found out at lunchtime there is a three week lead time to do the VIC test, and that could have booked it before it was MOT'd, not happy I didn't know that. Never mind, will try for cancellations.

So, how does she drive? Like her mileage, a couple of very light trim squeaks which I will track down. More of a concern is she has a bit of a misfire/lumpy idle, you can feel a slight miss through the truck at low revs. I think she may want engine or gearbox mountings as you can certainly feel the engine/drivetrain if you know what I mean. Love forummers thoughts on these issues....

On the to-do list panel fit improvement, find and fit - intercooler, headlamp washer, leather interior if possible, chrome edged grille, centre armrest cupholder cover, fit JVC dab single din unit with Bluetooth module that I have just stumbled across. Paint bonnet (my usual guy has put his rates up so I am looking around), fit spare set of much better wheels, fluids service (had one at Mr T last year with all brakes). Trace and resolve misfire - learn more about diseasels!!!

And, most importantly, learn more about the truck, and what needs to be done around her. To that end - I'd love some feedback/suggestions please people. Thanks for looking, hope I haven't bored you too much with my story.

Just by chance is that a Saab in the background??:lol:

Welcome indeed. I've never heard or thought "more projects than I'll ever finish", it's a new one on me!!!

Andy

Current count is one 9-5, and four 9-3 convertibles, two of each transmission. Thankfully one of the auto's is being collected tomorrow, sold me Vito today which is going tomorrow too, and one of the manual convertibles finishes tomorrow although no doubt that will be another d1ckh3ad who has no intention of seeing it through. Also need to move on a 206 diesel, lovely little thing, cat c with v low miles but needs someone to work some magic on previous poor repairs (before it came to me I hasten to add). I probably shouldn't mention the two mercs that have been lying dormant for years either........
And I think that I may have bought another LC......we'll see, I hope not for the sake of my b*ll*cks!!!!

Your most likely looking for alloy wheels from an 80 series LC as they fill the guards much better . Leather seats do come up on ebay now and then i seen a grey set a few days ago . A lumpy idle is not common on these trucks as they are known to survive years despite maintenance and servicing being neglected so i would be keen to find the cause , i assume you have a new air filter but i will mention it because the simplest things are often overlooked . Feel the drivetrain is a curious one , perhaps you should be looking at links and bushes ?

Air filter was first port of call Shayne - its very good. Will probably chuck thru some injector cleaner or the likes before I do an oil/filters change.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
And when you paint the bonnet Jonny do yout bumpers and arches the same colour as well it really does make a huge difference .

As per Shaynes comment, anyone got, or have pics of a black truck with black arches etc

Like mine you mean , i will post a pic when photobucket gets back online its not working right now .

IHUG048_zpsbc3dc02d.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Apart from the front end knock you look to have quite a nice low mileage 95 there, whatever it hit must have been quite damaged! The pics of it in the yard show it with a lot of brake dust on the front alloys, perhaps the previous owner was a late and heavy braker and came unstuck?

You say that you've replaced the radiator with a new one, that's good as Colorado's suffer from failure of the auto gearbox cooler (with age), which lives in the rad, and results in mixing of the oil and coolant. So that's that weakness covered, other than that they're pretty reliable. The rear difflock can seize, but this is usually caused by lack of use and damage from road salt. If yours is working, it's worth operating it occasionally and protecting it from corrosion.

Most of us on here like to tinker with our cars, so you'll find yourself in good company. You've already found about the only shortfall there is with owning a Toyota 4x4, there aren't many bits avaliable secondhand, this is due to them not being sold in massive numbers here in the UK when they were new, coupled with their reliability, means that there aren't many that get broken for spares.

Hope you enjoy Land Cruiser ownership when you get yours back on the road.

thanks Shayne.
Actually, for me (personal choice) I like the contrast of the silver grey bumpers and arches (ducks for cover!!)

Each to their own Jonny but you may change your mind when and if you see a colour coded truck pics don't do it justice but on average people guess my truck is 3 years old rather than nearly 18 !

The lumpy idle could be the injectors needing a service. At your mileage re-tipping them should make it smoother. Also change the fuel filter.

The drive line issue is probably wheel balancing/alignment, or the rear UJ on the rear prop shaft (is it most prominent at 60-70mph?). There are other possible culprits, but that is where I would start looking first.

The lumpy idle could be the injectors needing a service. At your mileage re-tipping them should make it smoother. Also change the fuel filter.

The drive line issue is probably wheel balancing/alignment, or the rear UJ on the rear prop shaft (is it most prominent at 60-70mph?). There are other possible culprits, but that is where I would start looking first.

As you are local, any recommendations for injector servicing?
Driveline vibration noticeable at low revs consistent with lumpiness/misfire. Solve that solve vibration possibly. Service kit is on its way here!

.....I don't think he is local any more, far from it. :icon-wink:

FM - do you need to update your location? :icon-biggrin:

Back