Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1995 lockers or not

Bob Mane

Country Flag
united_states
I have the switch to the left of the steering wheel on the dash. but dont know if its fake. if i turn it with rig running nothing happens. (note: several dashboard indicater light are out so not sure if these are as well)

If i put it in low diff yellow lock icon comes on dash

The centre diff has to be locked for the F&R diff locks to work. The default behaviour is the centre diff will lock when low box is engaged. An additional dash mounted switch is available to lock the centre diff manually in high ratio. If you have the lock switch next to the steering wheel than you'll almost certainly have the F&R diff locks fitted. If the F&R locks don't work with the centre diff locked then you have a problem which could be wiring, diff lock ECU or the locks themselves.

"An additional dash mounted switch" I dont have that.

So starting with the switch to the left of the steering wheel in off position I would shift to low and that makes the centre diff locked? And then moving the switch to the left of the steering wheel would cause other lights to come on the dash? What else would happen if it was working?

The front and rear diff lock lights on the dash flash until they are locked and the you should have a 2 solid red diff lights on

Apologies if you already know this but don't be tempted to try locking all the diffs on sound tarmac as, at best, it'll wind up the transmission, at worst it'll break something. Even on wet grass or loose sand etc, locking all 3 diffs will give you a turning circle in the Supertanker class.

The "additional" switch is the one in the centre of the photo. The wiring for it should be there behind the blanked out space and the switch just plugs in. If you fit one you can, in addition, disconnect the low ratio locking plug on the transfer box to give full manual control of the diff locks which means you can use low ratio on the road with the diff unlocked.
8804B283-0EFF-41DF-B350-0ACF2DD93D4F.jpeg

but if those lights working were in the dash would they show as working when turning the car on?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Put it in Low, and turn the difflock switch, see if anything lights up.
If you are not sure yours has the lockers, take a look at the axles, and see if there are difflock motors on the differential housing, on the right side.

I think the F&R diff locks won't engage above 5km/h. Safety... I was never tempted to try it out myself.

Back