Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1998 100 Series 4.2 Batteries

isdyl

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi - I'm having slow cranking in the mornings due to battery or batteries not holding charge. I've charged them separately just now and one is clearly much worse than the other. Am I able to drive using one battery for a day or two while I get a replacement please? Also, white researching batteries I've read that some people have disconnected the inlet heater grid to reduce battery usage - is that something that is done by many please? Are there any down sides to doing that? Thanks, Dylan

If the batteries are in parallel, then you will be fine running on one battery. They are in parallel on the OE 120, 105, 150 and the 200. Someone will be along shortly to confirm if the 100 has a 12v starter ( IE. Batteries in parallel ) or a 24v starter ( IE. In series ).

If one of the batteries is worse off, you may actually benefit and prolong the life of the other, by only running the one.

If they are in parallel runnng on 2 and replacing only 1, the old will quickly drag down the new.

Yes thanks I was just thinking that. I've only had it about a month and can only see a receipt for one battery in 2018. I think I'll have to just fork out and get a pair. I've seen a matched pair of Bosch S4 for £200 on line - seems reasonable.

200 £ for a matched pair seems overly cheap. I would stay away from Bosch at any rate -- the name is 50 £, battery value 150 £. Get something with a 4 year warranty, silver-calcium seems to last longer than plain lead.
Alternatively, get anything usable with a good warranty, then have them checked for capacity 1 month before expiry, and possibly get your money back.

The only downside to disconnecting the heating grid is that you might pollute 1.3 grams more for the first 1 minute after starting a cold engine. It's purely an environmental implement. Upside is that both the batteries and the alternator will last longer.

Check with Toyota itself, they do good batteries at good prices. Just don't ask them to fit them for you :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok thank you - I'll check with Toyota in Guildford then. I'll decide about the heater grid too. Dylan

When you change the batteries do one at a time as you might have a security code on the radio system if you are doing the swap yourself and it is a 12volt start system if you can wait a while longer before you buy the batteries as there are a few makes that will be recommended to you like Toyota own brand Yuausa and others for your truck worth the wait

I was trying to remember what i bought and i think its varta G8 and G9 because ones left and the other right

Ah yes they look good - it's the same site (Battery Megastore) that the Bosch ones were on.

They used to do a discount for members here i think ?

They just sent me a code for 5% when I gave my email address.

Thanks everyone - it only just started this morning so I've ordered a pair of Varta from Battery Megastore for £195 delivered. I'll let you know if they turn up! Dylan

I would give a big thumbs up for Yuasa Battery's, I have had a matching pair on mine for about six years now and had one on another car for about the same,
but would advise (as been said) they have to be replace as a pair

Sorry I know there's a lot of info about this intake heater disconnection, but please could I just confirm that I just disconnect this small connector here? Thanks
IMG_6167.jpg

Back