Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1FZ gasser vs diesel

zimm

Country Flag
japan
I'm in Japan and shopping for a Land Cruiser to bring back to the states with me. I'm seriously leaning towards the gas version because I can't register a diesel in my area. It would have to ship immediately out of the country and wait for me to get to it, or sit in my parking space for 6 months. With the gas I can tag it and be driving around, fixing it up before shipping. Plus diesel is $1 more a gallon in my home state. But I heard about lack of power and terrible MPG in the 1FZ, although it's reliable.

No ownership experience with the 1FZ, but if you get the diesel I am sure you will not be disappointed. Much less to go wrong and way better mileage, and besides if you plan to tow or go off road the torque available at silly low revs is hard to beat, and if going through water with a snorkel, this means the engine will continue to run submerged.

Regards

Dave

No experience with the 1HD, but as far as the 1FZ goes, 205bhp - I find it plenty powerful enough to embarras a few other 4x4's on the road (90mph is totally doable), smooth, refined and sounds lovely with a 3" stainless exhaust. Fuel consumption is pretty eye-watering (anything between high-teens mpg driven sensibly on the road and 9-10mpg towing 2 horses) but I run mine on LPG so cost-wise it's no worse than my old 1KZ-TE Hilux Surf (4-runner). Not sure if LPG is an option in the states? The only area I feel the 1FZ falls down Vs the Diesel is as Dave says, on torque. I tow a lot and miss the torque of the diesel motor. It gets along fine, you just have to drive it on revs. For a non-towing or occasional towing vehicle I think the 1FZ is fantastic (especially if LPG converted) but for a vehicle that does a lot of heavy towing, if I had the choice I'd go for a turbo-diesel (but definitely not a non-turbo)

My lifted on 35" mud tyres 24 valve 4.2 turbo diesel with a 3" exhaust will sneak up to 90 mph on a motorway without me noticing when theres no other traffic to make me aware of my speed .

Diesel engines before electronics were used in every commercial application because of their long life reliability + its gets a heavy vehicle up to speed without drinking fuel .

With a JDM FZJ80, you should get the fridge in between the front seats and rear air con as well, plus grab handle for passenger. I would go with OBD-II variant so post 94, then you can strap on a turbo (if you can find one) with little modifications but also opens other options, a supercharger
Have driven a lot through water and never had any issues. Check the fault codes to see if the O2 sensors are good, that should help with the MPG.
Power wise never thought I’m short on it but probably have to use the right foot more to achieve the same as a diesel, but that’s when the engine sounds best!! The MPG in town is shocking and on the motorway it’s better but not great!

Back