Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HD-T Stalling

Charis

Country Flag
cyprus
Hello everyone . Hope this email finds everyone good in health (everything else is fixable with one way or another) any way .
Guys/girls/aliens am facing a very strange issue . When i park my LC facing up on a downhill when i start it back on it stalls to a point you think that it will go off. This is happening only when the cars face is looking for the sky . Does any one have seen this before ? Any suggestions before start spending my hard eraned money ?

Thanks .

Sounds like it's possibly getting air into the fuel lines and the fuel is draining back into the tank when parked facing up hill. Next time your parked up hill pump the lift pump on top of the fuel filter before starting the engine.

My 80 24V had the same symptoms.
it was the thermowax element that let air into the diesel line.
removed it (3 allen screws) and replaced it by a selfmade blanking plate.
no hard earned money involved :)
btw the picture of the blanking plate is upside down.
blanking thermowax-900.jpg
thermowax.jpg

Mine has done this for around 6 years. If face downhill the revolutions rise slight, face uphill and the fall. I have tried replacing fuel lines, filter head, gravity feed from vehicle roof, even a positive pressure feed from the tank, no change.

It turns out there is a small governer spring in the pump that is weak, pump needs to be stripped to change, as there are no leaks and the car dives 100% perfect advice was leave it until other work needs to be done on the pump.

6 years on and nothing had changed, same symptoms, same perfect drive.

Thermowax element is for cold diesel start IIRC? Mine was removed about 6 years ago, it is known for breaking and damaging the pump.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
AFAIK the lift pump is not in the filter head, the plunger is simply there to bleed air after a filter change.

The lift pump proper, is integral with the injection pump.

Regards

Dave

I had the same problem I fitted a cheap facet lift pump and a one way valve in the fuel line by the engine I have had no problems since

AFAIK the lift pump is not in the filter head, the plunger is simply there to bleed air after a filter change.

The lift pump proper, is integral with the injection pump.

Regards

Dave
No doubt your terminology Is correct dave. A lot of people seem to refer to it as the lift pump or fuel primer.
when it fails it allows air to be drawn into the fuel lines. It also wont pump the fuel up after a filter change.

I have found (not just on 80's), they normally fail when or a few days after fitting and priming a new filter, trying to explain to customer's the rubber diaphragm had perished and bleeding out air had finished it off, is not always easy.

Regards

Dave

I think @Shayne may have suffered from something like this at the German campsite we stopped at on the way to Clive's. He replaced the fuel filter after struggling with power and no amount of pumping could prime it in the morning. Eventually got it primed by Shayne disconnecting the return pipe and putting his thumb over the tank connection while I put some pressure in the tank with my air compressor. Worked a treat and gave Shayne a squirt of that new after shave 'diesel'.

Last edited:
I think @Shayne may have suffered from something like this at the German campsite we stopped at onnthecway to Clive's. He replaced the fuel filter after struggling with power and no amount of pumping could prime it in the morning. Eventuality got it primed by Shayne disconnecting the return pipe and putting his thumb over the tank connection while I put some pressure in the tank with my air compressor. Worked a treat and gave Shayne a squirt of that new after shave 'diesel'.
There was a problem with the mighty 90?

There was a problem with the mighty 90?

Self inflicted mate i only replaced the fuel tank a for the trip and i made it to Germany on the test run so i can't complain :)

In answer to Charis i first suspected a leak in the fuel line small enough to let air in while parked without actually leaking diesel allowing fuel to drain back to the tank .
Credit goes to Starcruiser for the idea to pressurize the tank and as i've had no problems since i assume air in the lines was indeed the problem which was bled out by the method he describes .

Many thanks to fbnss who turned the key for us we couldn't have the girls getting their hands dirty now could we :lol:

Self inflicted mate i only replaced the fuel tank a for the trip and i made it to Germany on the test run so i can't complain :)

In answer to Charis i first suspected a leak in the fuel line small enough to let air in while parked without actually leaking diesel allowing fuel to drain back to the tank .
Credit goes to Starcruiser for the idea to pressurize the tank and as i've had no problems since i assume air in the lines was indeed the problem which was bled out by the method he describes .

Many thanks to fbnss who turned the key for us we couldn't have the girls getting their hands dirty now could we :lol:
I'll have you know i was pumping the primer for five minutes while you had a kip under the truck!

Thanks for pointers everyone.
I will start working on it tomorow and let you know how it goes.

Back