2 x queries

G

Guest

Guest
All
Have any of you had thermostats fail? a query for those with older
vehicles.
And another query, what is the likelihood of someone nicking my tyres
and wheels (how long is a piece of string...), not so much for new 15"
but for new steel wheels and tyres?
Renate
 
G

Guest

Guest
Ian
Well yes, but I mean, if I'm away from home - I have dreams of coming
out of a building and finding my brand new tyres and wheels are
gone....(as yet I haven't gone brand new 16" and steel wheels as yet,
and am still running 15" (new) tyres).
At the moment I don't have lockable wheel nuts on l'Beast.
Postcode Lottery has ensured my neighbourhood comes up trumps every
time - however, l'Beast is kept in a secure enclosure with security
fencing (that I pay a premium for) overnight. I reduced my premium by
paying more in the excess section on the insurance form.....
I do have two sets of lockable wheel nuts, I probably need two more for
the front wheels.
Renate
>>> [Email address removed] 01/11/05 10:50am >>>
Renate Haupt wrote:
> And another query, what is the likelihood of someone nicking my tyres
> and wheels (how long is a piece of string...), not so much for new
15"
> but for new steel wheels and tyres?
> Renate
About 5 metres.
Sorry couldn't resist. Depends on your neighborhood I would think -
aren't they covered by insurance?
Ian.
--
Free classifieds for anything 2 wheeled:
http://www.fud.f2s.com/classifieds/classifieds.php
Layman's ROW guide: http://www.rightsofway.net
 
G

Guest

Guest
Renate
I am curious why you are changing to steel wheels as they will increase your
un-sprung weight and in your case make changing wheels more difficult in the
case of a puncture. Even in the states were off roading is taken to the
extreme mostly they stick with the original alloy wheels.
Why don't you look out for a set of good used original equipment alloys as
these will allow a large variation in tyres are light and strong and have
the correct measurements, off set etc?
Anthony Graham
1994HDJ80 1HD - T
West Wales
UK
-----Original Message-----
From: [Email address removed] [mailto:[Email address removed]] On
Behalf Of Ian Packer
Sent: 11 January 2005 10:50
To: [Email address removed]
Subject: Re: [ELCO] 2 x queries
Renate Haupt wrote:
About 5 metres.
Sorry couldn't resist. Depends on your neighborhood I would think -
aren't they covered by insurance?
Ian.
--
Free classifieds for anything 2 wheeled:
http://www.fud.f2s.com/classifieds/classifieds.php
Layman's ROW guide: http://www.rightsofway.net
 
Don't like the adverts? Remove them by becoming a supporting member.   Click here
G

Guest

Guest
Mi'lord
Well, in this case, I might as well stick with what I know best! 15"
BFGs on OE alloys.
The original alloys are fine for the time being, but I really want to
get l'beast in the front row again.
Alloys cannot be knocked into shape once they are damaged - steel ones
can - for the record the only thing I'm good at in offroad driving is
sand and very hard rock, and digging the thing called l'beast out of the
dunes - the strength is the only thing in my favour, so I don't actually
mind the weight of steel wheels.
But as I said at some other point in this list, I'm still working on
the pros and cons of buying new wheels and tyres
Renate
>>> [Email address removed] 01/11/05 11:20am >>>
Renate
I am curious why you are changing to steel wheels as they will increase
your
un-sprung weight and in your case make changing wheels more difficult
in the
case of a puncture. Even in the states were off roading is taken to
the
extreme mostly they stick with the original alloy wheels.
Why don't you look out for a set of good used original equipment alloys
as
these will allow a large variation in tyres are light and strong and
have
the correct measurements, off set etc?
Anthony Graham
1994HDJ80 1HD - T
West Wales
UK
-----Original Message-----
From: [Email address removed]
[mailto:[Email address removed]] On
Behalf Of Ian Packer
Sent: 11 January 2005 10:50
To: [Email address removed]
Subject: Re: [ELCO] 2 x queries
Renate Haupt wrote:
> And another query, what is the likelihood of someone nicking my tyres
> and wheels (how long is a piece of string...), not so much for new
15"
> but for new steel wheels and tyres?
> Renate
About 5 metres.
Sorry couldn't resist. Depends on your neighborhood I would think -
aren't they covered by insurance?
Ian.
--
Free classifieds for anything 2 wheeled:
http://www.fud.f2s.com/classifieds/classifieds.php
Layman's ROW guide: http://www.rightsofway.net
 
G

Guest

Guest
Hi Renate,
Yes, but not with an 80. Why?
I would say less likely if you have locking wheel nuts, however as I discovered
when I first got my 80, these are easy to remove if you have the right tools -
special sockets for about ?20 from your local auto parts company.
--
Regards,
Julian Voelcker
Mobile: 07971 540362
Cirencester, United Kingdom
1994 HDJ80, 2.5" OME Lift, ARB
 
G

Guest

Guest
Julian et al
Just curious
Renate
>>> [Email address removed] 01/11/05 11:47am >>>
Hi Renate,
> Have any of you had thermostats fail? a query for those with older vehicles.
Yes, but not with an 80. Why?
> And another query, what is the likelihood of someone nicking my
> tyres and wheels (how long is a piece of string...), not so much for
> new 15" but for new steel wheels and tyres?
I would say less likely if you have locking wheel nuts, however as I discovered
when I first got my 80, these are easy to remove if you have the right tools -
special sockets for about =A320 from your local auto parts company.
--
Regards,
Julian Voelcker
Mobile: 07971 540362
Cirencester, United Kingdom
1994 HDJ80, 2.5" OME Lift, ARB
 
G

Guest

Guest
Hi Renate
If you are worried about people nicking your wheels if you get some nice
ones why not get a nut lock for each wheel which will prevent this and keep
the key on your ignition key so so dont find your self without it when you
need it.
John
92HDJ 80 1HD-T Auto Ireland
 
G

Guest

Guest
John
One of my last emails said that I already had two sets of locking wheel
nuts - it might be an idea getting a couple more, but I don't know
whether it is worth it for 15" tyres & wheels - if I had 16" maybe,
because I'd have new steel wheels to match.
Its as though the 15" are no good, they are very good and are the OE
for the vehicle registered in that year (1991).
I could get away with 16" with the same new calipers I had replaced
when the last ones seized, but if I were to go up to 17" (which is what
I would like) I'd have to buy new calipers too, or risk the expense of
having the new ones modified or changed in some way.
I have mixed feelings about having a new set of wheels and tyres and
this is why I'm still hesitant - because of the lift on l'beast when I
had new heavy duty shocks and coils fitted the 15" look rather
small....this is the only main reason why I'm thinking of buying new
tyres & wheels but I have to think of where I'll be taking l'beast later
this year and in 2006, and I sometimes think that it probably isn't
worth the expense of having new wheels and tyres - any ideas from any
other list members?
Renate
>>> [Email address removed] 01/11/05 12:13pm >>>
Hi Renate
If you are worried about people nicking your wheels if you get some
nice
ones why not get a nut lock for each wheel which will prevent this and
keep
the key on your ignition key so so dont find your self without it when
you
need it.
John
92HDJ 80 1HD-T Auto Ireland
> Renate Haupt wrote:
>
>> And another query, what is the likelihood of someone nicking my
tyres and
>> wheels (how long is a piece of string...), not so much for new 15"
but
>> for new steel wheels and tyres?
>> Renate
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Renate Haupt wrote:
At the end of the day it's convenience Vs risk. I don't have any
particular security measures for the wheels but you can get lock nuts
pretty cheap. I figure my old Bruiser isn't that attractive - pros would
go for a new model and the Chavs wont be interested in something so
agricultural.
Ian.
--
Free classifieds for anything 2 wheeled:
http://www.fud.f2s.com/classifieds/classifieds.php
Layman's ROW guide: http://www.rightsofway.net
 
G

Guest

Guest
Ian
Well this is what I'm banking on - it looks like an old battered truck
that has seen much better days and is about to fail the MOT. Now if it
was a bright new spankingly shiny Beast I'd be much more worried about
it being stolen. Its been broken into once but I don't keep anything of
value in it, so there is nothing for the thiefs to take. But as you all
know I do still worry about things, I guess its my nature.
What age is your 80?
Renate
>>> [Email address removed] 01/11/05 01:14pm >>>
Renate Haupt wrote:
> Ian
> Well yes, but I mean, if I'm away from home - I have dreams of coming
> out of a building and finding my brand new tyres and wheels are
> gone....(as yet I haven't gone brand new 16" and steel wheels as yet,
> and am still running 15" (new) tyres).
> At the moment I don't have lockable wheel nuts on l'Beast.
> Postcode Lottery has ensured my neighbourhood comes up trumps every
time
> - however, l'Beast is kept in a secure enclosure with security
fencing
> (that I pay a premium for) overnight. I reduced my premium by paying
> more in the excess section on the insurance form.....
> I do have two sets of lockable wheel nuts, I probably need two more
for
> the front wheels.
> Renate
At the end of the day it's convenience Vs risk. I don't have any
particular security measures for the wheels but you can get lock nuts
pretty cheap. I figure my old Bruiser isn't that attractive - pros
would
go for a new model and the Chavs wont be interested in something so
agricultural.
Ian.
--
Free classifieds for anything 2 wheeled:
http://www.fud.f2s.com/classifieds/classifieds.php
Layman's ROW guide: http://www.rightsofway.net
 
G

Guest

Guest
Renate,
I acknowledge your expertise in desert environments and thank you for you
explanation concerning steel wheels. I can see your point regarding
knocking them back into shape after minor damage. Do many travelers in the
desert bend there rims and just curious what do the Australians use as they
tend to travel fast over long distances over desert and rocky terrain?
You suggest that going up to 17 inch would mean a change to your calipers
why is that? What benefits are there in going up to 17 inches surely tyre
availability can not be one of them? If it is for cosmetic reasons then
fair enough. What make of rims were you considering? I know that there is
an original equipment steel rim listed but the width I think is only 7
inches, which limits tyre choice. The reason why I suggested alloys from a
later 80 is that there is an increase in width to 8 inches allowing fitment
of larger tyres.
Anthony Graham
1994HDJ80 1HD - T
West Wales
UK
_____
From: [Email address removed] [mailto:[Email address removed]] On
Behalf Of Renate Haupt
Sent: 11 January 2005 12:22
To: [Email address removed]
Subject: Re: [ELCO] 2 x queries
John
One of my last emails said that I already had two sets of locking wheel nuts
- it might be an idea getting a couple more, but I don't know whether it is
worth it for 15" tyres & wheels - if I had 16" maybe, because I'd have new
steel wheels to match.
Its as though the 15" are no good, they are very good and are the OE for the
vehicle registered in that year (1991).
I could get away with 16" with the same new calipers I had replaced when the
last ones seized, but if I were to go up to 17" (which is what I would like)
I'd have to buy new calipers too, or risk the expense of having the new ones
modified or changed in some way.
I have mixed feelings about having a new set of wheels and tyres and this is
why I'm still hesitant - because of the lift on l'beast when I had new heavy
duty shocks and coils fitted the 15" look rather small....this is the only
main reason why I'm thinking of buying new tyres & wheels but I have to
think of where I'll be taking l'beast later this year and in 2006, and I
sometimes think that it probably isn't worth the expense of having new
wheels and tyres - any ideas from any other list members?
Renate
>>> [Email address removed] 01/11/05 12:13pm >>>
Hi Renate
If you are worried about people nicking your wheels if you get some nice
ones why not get a nut lock for each wheel which will prevent this and keep
the key on your ignition key so so dont find your self without it when you
need it.
John
92HDJ 80 1HD-T Auto Ireland
> Renate Haupt wrote:
>
>> And another query, what is the likelihood of someone nicking my tyres and
>> wheels (how long is a piece of string...), not so much for new 15" but
>> for new steel wheels and tyres?
>> Renate
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Renate,
Not many people want steel wheels, they will get stolen for the
tyres. I would get a set of Mcgard locking nuts, they are one of the
best.
Regards, Clive.
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:34:01 +0000, Renate Haupt
<[Email address removed]> wrote:
 
G

Guest

Guest
Anthony
My ossie friends have steel wheels and usually double-door opening as opposed to the hatchback kind of thing that mine has. I've seen larger tyres than 17" on their beasts but I think the market for 17" in the UK is not huge, its a more specialist area for 4x4'ers. There is still 75s in general use but quite a high percentage of 80s, they're usually white but not exclusively, and yes they travel very fast over sandy and rocky terrain as I do. I guess the rocks are dangerous whereever you go in Australia or North Africa, past experience requires careful manoevering around the rocks in the Sahara. The rock is sandstone mostly and has different erosional properties. We would call the Australian sandstones Devonian (the red sandstone).
As far as North Africa is concerned there is soft sandstones that erode quite quickly, fine grains are like dust. Because of their adhesive properties (a bit of grease or water and you're scuppered!) this stuff is a pain, its called "fesh-fesh". Under this there is extremely hard fine-grained sandstone; this is another of the more problematical sands in North Africa - the soft light stuff hangs around just above the surface, the harder grains are underneath this. Under this there are volcanic lava plugs and plutonic granitic extrusions. The other rock consists volcanic dykes and intrusions which can be extremely dangerous indeed - put it this way if you are unfortunate to catch some of this stuff jutting out (that has become patinated, so almost black), which is extremely sharp and it seems nearly as hard as diamond, it can literally sheer through your tyre (shredding it) and the wheel - it slices straight through and sheers bolts completely and cleanly off, so its very dangerous stuff and sometimes you see it when its too late and the damage is done.

The calipers on mine are suitable for 15 and 16" wheels, 17" and they would need changing. The ones that I have on now had to be manufactured for l'Beast and then modified in the end, because the ones on there already were for different vehicles. I don't know why the farmer chose the old ones but the wear patterns on the wheels suggested that at least three different kinds of calipers had at one time been fitted, and probably were'nt really for an 80 after all. Calipers don't wear or score the wheels, but there has been some damage in the past.

I haven't really got around to thinking of makes of the steel wheels because I'm still undecided about the best way forward, bearing in mind that I now have financial constraints with regards to l'Beast
Regards
Renate
>>> [Email address removed] 01/11/05 06:42pm >>>
st1:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }Renate,I acknowledge your expertise in desert environments and thank you for you explanation concerning steel wheels. I can see your point regarding knocking them back into shape after minor damage. Do many travelers in the desert bend there rims and just curious what do the Australians use as they tend to travel fast over long distances over desert and rocky terrain?You suggest that going up to 17 inch would mean a change to your calipers why is that? What benefits are there in going up to 17 inches surely tyre availability can not be one of them? If it is for cosmetic reasons then fair enough. What make of rims were you considering? I know that there is an original equipment steel rim listed but the width I think is only 7 inches, which limits tyre choice. The reason why I suggested alloys from a later 80 is that there is an increase in width to 8 inches allowing fitment of larger tyres.Anthony Graham1994HDJ80 1HD * TWest WalesUK
From: [Email address removed] [mailto:[Email address removed]] On Behalf Of Renate Haupt
Sent: 11 January 2005 12:22
To: [Email address removed]
Subject: Re: [ELCO] 2 x queries
John
One of my last emails said that I already had two sets of locking wheel nuts - it might be an idea getting a couple more, but I don't know whether it is worth it for 15" tyres & wheels - if I had 16" maybe, because I'd have new steel wheels to match.
Its as though the 15" are no good, they are very good and are the OE for the vehicle registered in that year (1991).
I could get away with 16" with the same new calipers I had replaced when the last ones seized, but if I were to go up to 17" (which is what I would like) I'd have to buy new calipers too, or risk the expense of having the new ones modified or changed in some way.
I have mixed feelings about having a new set of wheels and tyres and this is why I'm still hesitant - because of the lift on l'beast when I had new heavy duty shocks and coils fitted the 15" look rather small....this is the only main reason why I'm thinking of buying new tyres & wheels but I have to think of where I'll be taking l'beast later this year and in 2006, and I sometimes think that it probably isn't worth the expense of having new wheels and tyres - any ideas from any other list members?
Renate
>>> [Email address removed] 01/11/05 12:13pm >>>
Hi Renate
If you are worried about people nicking your wheels if you get some nice
ones why not get a nut lock for each wheel which will prevent this and keep
the key on your ignition key so so dont find your self without it when you
need it.
John
92HDJ 80 1HD-T Auto Ireland
> Renate Haupt wrote:
>
>> And another query, what is the likelihood of someone nicking my tyres and
>> wheels (how long is a piece of string...), not so much for new 15" but
>> for new steel wheels and tyres?
>> Renate
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Renate
Thank you for the detailed geological explanation it was very enlightening.
There are tyres available for 17 inch rims but very limited over here I can
see no advantages in that size. I would stick with the 15 that you have or
go to 16 there is a huge range available for both 15 and 16. I still can
not se why fitting a larger diameter wheel would necessitate a caliper
change. If a more recent i.e. post 1993 80 went down from 16 to 15 then
some of the caliper would have to be machined away as there would be contact
between the rim and the caliper. It is the over all diameter of the tyre
that improves traction or clearance, not the wheel size. You state that
there is a wear mark on the rims were the calipers may have rubbed at some
time and that the calipers had to be made especially for it, this suggests
to me that you may have an axle possibly from a later vehicle and not one
from a 1991 vintage.
Anthony Graham
1994HDJ80 1HD - T
West Wales
UK
_____
From: [Email address removed] [mailto:[Email address removed]] On
Behalf Of Renate Haupt
Sent: 11 January 2005 19:55
To: [Email address removed]
Subject: RE: [ELCO] 2 x queries
Anthony
My ossie friends have steel wheels and usually double-door opening as
opposed to the hatchback kind of thing that mine has. I've seen larger
tyres than 17" on their beasts but I think the market for 17" in the UK is
not huge, its a more specialist area for 4x4'ers. There is still 75s in
general use but quite a high percentage of 80s, they're usually white but
not exclusively, and yes they travel very fast over sandy and rocky terrain
as I do. I guess the rocks are dangerous whereever you go in Australia or
North Africa, past experience requires careful manoevering around the rocks
in the Sahara. The rock is sandstone mostly and has different erosional
properties. We would call the Australian sandstones Devonian (the red
sandstone).
As far as North Africa is concerned there is soft sandstones that erode
quite quickly, fine grains are like dust. Because of their adhesive
properties (a bit of grease or water and you're scuppered!) this stuff is a
pain, its called "fesh-fesh". Under this there is extremely hard
fine-grained sandstone; this is another of the more problematical sands in
North Africa - the soft light stuff hangs around just above the surface, the
harder grains are underneath this. Under this there are volcanic lava plugs
and plutonic granitic extrusions. The other rock consists volcanic dykes
and intrusions which can be extremely dangerous indeed - put it this way if
you are unfortunate to catch some of this stuff jutting out (that has become
patinated, so almost black), which is extremely sharp and it seems nearly as
hard as diamond, it can literally sheer through your tyre (shredding it) and
the wheel - it slices straight through and sheers bolts completely and
cleanly off, so its very dangerous stuff and sometimes you see it when its
too late and the damage is done.
The calipers on mine are suitable for 15 and 16" wheels, 17" and they would
need changing. The ones that I have on now had to be manufactured for
l'Beast and then modified in the end, because the ones on there already were
for different vehicles. I don't know why the farmer chose the old ones but
the wear patterns on the wheels suggested that at least three different
kinds of calipers had at one time been fitted, and probably were'nt really
for an 80 after all. Calipers don't wear or score the wheels, but there has
been some damage in the past.
I haven't really got around to thinking of makes of the steel wheels because
I'm still undecided about the best way forward, bearing in mind that I now
have financial constraints with regards to l'Beast
Regards
Renate
>>> [Email address removed] 01/11/05 06:42pm >>>
Renate,
I acknowledge your expertise in desert environments and thank you for you
explanation concerning steel wheels. I can see your point regarding
knocking them back into shape after minor damage. Do many travelers in the
desert bend there rims and just curious what do the Australians use as they
tend to travel fast over long distances over desert and rocky terrain?
You suggest that going up to 17 inch would mean a change to your calipers
why is that? What benefits are there in going up to 17 inches surely tyre
availability can not be one of them? If it is for cosmetic reasons then
fair enough. What make of rims were you considering? I know that there is
an original equipment steel rim listed but the width I think is only 7
inches, which limits tyre choice. The reason why I suggested alloys from a
later 80 is that there is an increase in width to 8 inches allowing fitment
of larger tyres.
Anthony Graham
1994HDJ80 1HD - T
West Wales
UK
_____
From: [Email address removed] [mailto:[Email address removed]] On
Behalf Of Renate Haupt
Sent: 11 January 2005 12:22
To: [Email address removed]
Subject: Re: [ELCO] 2 x queries
John
One of my last emails said that I already had two sets of locking wheel nuts
- it might be an idea getting a couple more, but I don't know whether it is
worth it for 15" tyres & wheels - if I had 16" maybe, because I'd have new
steel wheels to match.
Its as though the 15" are no good, they are very good and are the OE for the
vehicle registered in that year (1991).
I could get away with 16" with the same new calipers I had replaced when the
last ones seized, but if I were to go up to 17" (which is what I would like)
I'd have to buy new calipers too, or risk the expense of having the new ones
modified or changed in some way.
I have mixed feelings about having a new set of wheels and tyres and this is
why I'm still hesitant - because of the lift on l'beast when I had new heavy
duty shocks and coils fitted the 15" look rather small....this is the only
main reason why I'm thinking of buying new tyres & wheels but I have to
think of where I'll be taking l'beast later this year and in 2006, and I
sometimes think that it probably isn't worth the expense of having new
wheels and tyres - any ideas from any other list members?
Renate
>>> [Email address removed] 01/11/05 12:13pm >>>
Hi Renate
If you are worried about people nicking your wheels if you get some nice
ones why not get a nut lock for each wheel which will prevent this and keep
the key on your ignition key so so dont find your self without it when you
need it.
John
92HDJ 80 1HD-T Auto Ireland
> Renate Haupt wrote:
>
>> And another query, what is the likelihood of someone nicking my tyres and
>> wheels (how long is a piece of string...), not so much for new 15" but
>> for new steel wheels and tyres?
>> Renate
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Renate,
Looking at the caliper/rim size issue from my experience, it is highly
unlikely that you would need to change the calipers.
Obviously the calipers fit into wheels - if you increase the size of
the rim, there is more space for the calipers.
However if you look at the inside of an standard allow rim, they are
pretty flat from the centre to the outer rim - now there might be some
steel rims out there that are a different shape that might touch the
standard caliper, although unlikely, if that is the case look for more
suitable rims.
I really wouldn't bother looking at 17" rims - if you want to increase
the size of your tyres you should be able to find bigger sizes with
greater diameters to fit your 15" rims or move up to a 16" which will
give you a similar variety of sizes available.
Drivers might move up to 17" rims for putting bigger tyres on a road
car, but that is because there are more benefits of a low profile tyre
on a bigger rim than higher profile on a standard rim for purely tarmac
use.
--
Regards,
Julian Voelcker
Mobile: 07971 540362
Cirencester, United Kingdom
1994 HDJ80, 2.5" OME Lift, ARB
 
G

Guest

Guest
Thank you Julian - good advice!
Well, being a novice and all that, all advice is good from you lot
anyway! See, I've learnt this already!.
>>> [Email address removed] 01/12/05 11:11am >>>
Renate,
Looking at the caliper/rim size issue from my experience, it is highly
unlikely that you would need to change the calipers.
Obviously the calipers fit into wheels - if you increase the size of
the rim, there is more space for the calipers.
However if you look at the inside of an standard allow rim, they are
pretty flat from the centre to the outer rim - now there might be some
steel rims out there that are a different shape that might touch the
standard caliper, although unlikely, if that is the case look for more
suitable rims.
I really wouldn't bother looking at 17" rims - if you want to increase
the size of your tyres you should be able to find bigger sizes with
greater diameters to fit your 15" rims or move up to a 16" which will
give you a similar variety of sizes available.
Drivers might move up to 17" rims for putting bigger tyres on a road
car, but that is because there are more benefits of a low profile tyre
on a bigger rim than higher profile on a standard rim for purely tarmac
use.
--
Regards,
Julian Voelcker
Mobile: 07971 540362
Cirencester, United Kingdom
1994 HDJ80, 2.5" OME Lift, ARB
 
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks