Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2 years in - time for a refresh - ideas/recommendations

Dave_S

Hi all

Well, had my 80 series for a couple of years now, and apart from a few issues just after buying in (long, tedious story), Overkill has become part of the family.

As with any truck this age tho, its due a little TLC, so a few ideas/plans, which I would welcome recommendations on:

1. Exhaust systems - the SS system on mine is a dogs dinner bodged together by a previous owner, and is constantly snapping mounts and generally banging about - I'd like to replace from the flexi back with a proper system - ideally SS. Debate is: get one made up by a local company that will fabricate to order, or get one purpose made for the 80? Any thoughts?

2. Suspension - again the vehicle came with a mix and match suspension that the previous owner had done on the cheap with second hand springs etc. The rear shocks have recently failed and I'm thinking of replacing the springs and shocks all around. I need to go +2" due to the oversized tyres - again, any recommendations?

Thanks all

Dave S

Hi Dave, I would certainly recommend having a quality ss system made up for the truck. I don't know where you are or what's close to you. I had mine made here in Romania so I can't recommend them to you! (but would if you fancy a visit!).

Shayne used ProSpeed in Cardiff and was very happy with the work Charlie did there (and the price IIRCC).

Other than that I can't help but I'm sure some others will be along soon.

My suspension was supplied by a very thorough guy importing OME stuff into Romania. He tailored the springs to my usage, loading requirements (ARB front winch bumper, rear ARB swing out carrier, the ARB roof rack and such).

It's all been on the truck for 7 years and is still going strong. Paint peeling off springs and stone chips in the shocker paint don't count for me, the components work well and have given good service. I can't imagine any paint under stone chip conditions staying on a flexing coil spring for too long, so the whole concept of painted springs is a bit strange to me. I've off-roaded the truck almost every weekend of those 7 years, so I can't complain. Where to go in the UK, I have no idea. Again I hope someone intelligent will be along soon to recommend.

None of the above are cheap, mind.

Please insert your location in your details to give folks a clue. Good luck. :thumbup:

Thanks Clive. I'm on the Isle of Man (not as remote as Romania - but might as well be sometimes!). I trip over to the Uk regularly tho - via Liverpool or Heysham.

Can't recommend Prospeed in Cardiff enough , drop it off in the morning and collect it tea time at the latest and he will lend you a car , making exhausts is what they do and all work is guaranteed for life .

"I need to go +2" due to the oversized tyres" a coil spacer or body lift would allow you to keep the tyres with normal suspension if you don't get off road much and might save you a few quid .

I will be on the rock in less than a fortnight Dave if you wanna save on postage .

Hey Shayne - I'd prefer to go with proper springs and shocks, rather than spacers - I've been modding 4x4s for years and generally find that cutting corners just compromises the end position. Appreciate the offer re postage - hell, be good to meet you for a beer if nothing else ;-)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You have prob seen my truck around the island feels like i've spent more time there than at home this past couple of years , i stay in Douglas while there where are you based ? As for cutting corners my view is i've heard complaints about aftermarket stuff not 2 years after purchase when the standard stuff goes on for decades .

Last edited:
A mate of mine has just put the +2inch old man emu on his 80 Dave. Cost just over £800

I went for second hand old man emu that cost me around £500 in all.

If I had looked into the new price I'd have put new on at the £300ish extra. Plus if you ever get another 80 you can always swap suspension back over and keep the kit you buy.

Thanks all - any other thoughts re suspension?!? Decided to get a local SS system made up....

Pedders seem quite popular on here of late . On a side note knowing how messed up getting things delivered to the Island can be , Roughtrax somehow magicked me a clutch next day delivery last time i was there .

Okay - decided to give Pedders a go on the suspension - ordered today - will report back once fitted for anyone interested! Will hopefully get the exhaust sorted next week...

Pedders kit fitted today - first impressions good - truck sits more level now (was arse up before) and appears to ride better, more compliant. The springs are definitely softer than the OME ones on previously, so a little more wallowy in the corners, but its predictable now. Will report back again when we've put some miles on it...

:banana-gotpics::banana-gotpics::banana-gotpics::banana-gotpics:

Did you go for shocks and springs?
Ome must've been a hard ride. I don't find the pedders stuff wallowy, quite a firm ride but not in a crashy way.

Yes, full spring and shock +2 inch - works well with 305s. OME was hella hard... esp at the back. Lord knows what spec it was but the previous owner had done a cheap mix-and-match (along with most of his mods on the vehicle, as it turns out - spent a lot of time putting right dumb ass cheap crap - ho hum you live and learn - not all Landcruiser "experts" are created equal LOL!!!!), so not surprising the ride was sh1te. Will post photos when I get a mo... :)

At least you'll know it's right when you've finished.

Back