Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

200 series parts

Jon Mac

Country Flag
great_britain
I am into expensive territory with my 4.5 VDJ200 and would welcome any advice, specifically around parts. Engine warning light and limp mode on last month so I had a diagnosis at Toyota that indicated near side turbo, so left the vehicle at my local independent to assess further whilst I'm out of country for a few weeks.
Just spoke with them and they've removed the engine and established near side actuator seized due to siezed turbo, and off side turbo full of oil. They've also said water pump faulty, and advised to consider putting a new starter motor on now whilst the engine is out.
I need to make a decision on where to buy the parts to make some effort to keep the astronomical costs down where possible. Options include UK, UAE, Australia, or Kenya (where I am for next couple of days). I need the vehicle roadworthy asap really.
Any advice welcome!

Hi Brett,
Thanks, will price the parts up with them tomorrow.
John

Hi Brett,
Thanks, will price the parts up with them tomorrow.
John
John, have you considered getting the turbos reconditioned? That might be a possibility and more cost effective?

Hi Brett. I did consider but have decided since there is so much labour going into the work I'll put new OEM parts on. John

Amayama good too. I have used both, and a couple of days ago ordered from them.
This time the parts and the shipping were cheaper than Partsouk.
Check out 4x4 parts too, Last year I had some oem parts from Micky at their French depot that were unobtainable/more expensive elsewhere.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
VERY INTERESTING AS I HAVE THE SAME TURBO ACTUATOR ISSUE WITH ONE OF MY 200s THAT SOME KIND DODGY TRADER FROM WALES STUCK INTO ME WITHOUT TELLING ME ABOUT THE ISSUE (NICE MAN) BUT NOT A PROBLEM BECAUSE KARMA WILL TAKE CARE OF HIM (IT ALWAYS DOES)
PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON AND PUT ME IN TOUCH WITH ANYBODY WHO IS CAPABLE OF DOING THIS JOB AT SENSIBLE MONEY ££
KINDEST REGARDS CRUISER KING

VERY INTERESTING AS I HAVE THE SAME TURBO ACTUATOR ISSUE WITH ONE OF MY 200s THAT SOME KIND DODGY TRADER FROM WALES STUCK INTO ME WITHOUT TELLING ME ABOUT THE ISSUE (NICE MAN) BUT NOT A PROBLEM BECAUSE KARMA WILL TAKE CARE OF HIM (IT ALWAYS DOES)
PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON AND PUT ME IN TOUCH WITH ANYBODY WHO IS CAPABLE OF DOING THIS JOB AT SENSIBLE MONEY ££
Upon investigation the actuator sized due to turbo failure. I have ordered 2x OEM turbos from Turbo Diesel in Suffolk, and the garage have ordered in the gaskets etc. and a new water pump as that is leaking, from Toyota. All in I estimate the total cost is going to be in the region of £5k. Unplanned and rather unwelcome but proper maintenance will improve the vehicle condition and longevity.

Last edited:
Further update... engine back with two new OEM turbos fitted, engine running however frustratingly the P004C fault still present. My mechanic has working through the electrics to identify if there's a problem there also. If any one knows anything about this fault or can offer any useful suggestions, your input most welcome so I can pass on to mechanic.

I think but not sure that actuator can be changed from in wheel arch, but I understand from my mechanic that the engine is a tight squeeze in the chassis so its engine out to change the turbos. The work on my 200 was done at Gwydir Garage in Llanrwst, they aren't Land Cruiser experts but the owners son Emyr looks after my vehicle and know his way around it by now.

If the person working on the car is passionate, you should be fine. Please update how it’s come out

Struggling to locate whereabouts of the boost control module to check and test the wiring as it’s doesn’t seem to be as per the wiring diagram, a tech at Toyota is sending over a full engine wiring diagram. Does anyone have any knowledge of what to check for this fault including not obvious potential causes? Thanks.

Update, turbos fitted and engine reinstalled however one of the fault codes hasn't cleared. My mechanic has been exploring potential causes, and when he connected LH bank wiring to old RH bank turbo and actuator the fault then cleared. The original fault codes were both LH bank, one cleared but other still there when connected to new turbo and actuator. The supplier Turbo Diesel has stated the turbo and actuator would need to go back to manufacturer for testing which isn't really viable as it means engine out again. Rather frustrating. Any suggestions? Thanks.

We've finally traced the problem, located the TURBO MOTOR DRIVER which is under a headlamp unit. Its completely corroded and the circuit boards are badly corroded. Ordering a replacement from Part Souq and hopefully that'll be it sorted out, with two new turbos so should be full power, as is the AC that I've had repaired too with new piping. The mechanic knows his way around a VDJ200 very well now if anyone in North Wales needs such a service in this area.

Back