Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser New bee Here

liferiders

Country Flag
united_states
My recently purchased 2000 model land cruiser (120k, 4speed, Single owner, excellent shape, shifts smooth from what I could tell). There is not much of a problem from what I could tell; gears shifts very smoothly from drive all the way up to 3rd gear. But I am wondering if it is stuck in 3rd gear and not shifting to 4th? Trust me, there are no thuds, no grinding noise, no delay in finding gears, no jumping or slamming while on the go etc. Or is it so smooth, I can’t even tell if it is running at 70mph on 4th gear? It runs all day long at 70mph (RPM constantly hovers at 2k, is it normal? ) From70mph and upwards, I really have to press real hard to get it to higher speeds. I don’t drive too fast or abuse my vehicles, but I just wanted to test if everything is working as it should. I read great reviews about land cruisers, but it seems to me that the year 2000 models are prone to transmission issues. Or am I being paranoid? Here are some of my questions, if you could kindly answer. 1) What is your normal cruising speed on a V8 truck? 2), at 70 mph, what is RPM? 3) During normal driving, do you have your O/D turned on or off? 4) On your trucks, can you feel all the gear shifts from 2nd all the way up to 4th or 5th depending which truck you may have?
Thank you all.

Hi,
I believe you have a A442 auto gearbox (it will be displayed on the build plate in the engine bay) this is a 3 speed gear box with a 4th gear being an overdrive, for normal road driving I have my overdrive engaged so its like being in 4th gear really.
If you engeage the 2nd gear start button it will pull away in 2nd this is used to help get traction in icy or snowy conditions.
Lastly my 100 is a diesel so I can not comment on RPM s but with the overdrive engaged it will be happy to cruise at around 70ish without feeling it is being pushed too hard.
Hope this helps?

2k rpm sounds about right for 70 mph in 4th in a UZJ100. I leave O/D on. Cruising at 70mph is easy and you shouldn't have any trouble cruising at 90-100mph but it isn't a sports car ;) Not sure I ever notice the 3rd to 4th shift unless driving it hard. US (and UK) UZJ100's have the A343 gearbox.

So here is an update. This might one day be helpful to others in future. Took the vehicle to a transmission shop. They checked everything and ruled out any transmission issues. As a matter of fact, according to them, if a vehicle shifts smoothly (which mine did) during the first few gears (such as one, two and three), then it is very unlikely the transmission could be at fault (Sigh of relief!). They suggested me to let someone replace the fuel filter and have my exhaust system checked. So I took the vehicle to my mechanic, got the fuel filter replaced. The exhaust manifold had a few holes in them and I asked him to replace that too. And that fixed the problem :) I asked him which one could have been the problem, he told me the problem was most likely due to the exhaust system. Anyway, Now vehicle runs super smooth. Thank you everyone :)

Back