Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2012-2015 LC200 4.5D advice on test drive experience

Raj

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Dear All,

This is the first time I am in a diesel car of this size. I took a LC 200 4.5 D model for a test drive. When I started driving the car it displayed eco symbol and the car felt power less and moved too slow and I had to press the throttle hard for car to move quickly. it didnt feel good so asked the dealer to switch out of eco, he switched to ECT PWR mode. In this mode, it quickly reached to 80 miles and drove smoothly but then reached a slight upward slope and exit so slowed down and again the car felt powerless and had to press deep to make it move.

My regular cars are Accord and LexusRX400h, both petrol.

Please advice if it is normal for diesel cars to be bit slow like that? is there more throttle play for diesel cars or do we have to press more to make the car move? or is the car faulty?
The breaks felt grainy when applied not as smooth as Lexus. Is it natural for Land Cruiser brakes to feel grainy. LC was my dream car n waited for 3 years to buy one but confused by the test drive.

Probably best if you arrange a test drive of a different one, then you can see if they both feel the same of if you just had a dodgy one.

Driving is subjective, we are all used to different things, whats slow to one person is fast to someone else.

Dear Karl, Thank you very much for the advice. will try checking other car. These cars are very rare. there are about 6 cars in total on autotrader with my criteria.

You might be able to search through Toyota Dealerships/Car Dealers for one in stock that you can test drive (these might not be advertised on Autotrader) - it doesn't have to be to your exact specification but as long as it's the diesel version, they'll all have the same 4.5 diesel V8 and auto transmission drivetrain configuration.

You simply want to test drive it for comparison purposes. (Obviously, you don't have to tell the salesman that! :icon-wink: )

Good luck! :thumbup:

P.S. The Toyota used car website is rubbish - I gave up looking after a few minutes! :icon-rolleyes:

Hi Chadr I too looked but there are no LC200 with dealers, they come rarely but any how I bought the one, a 2014 model last week. Unfortunately I am not able to drive it again after buying due to a surgery. My friend drove it from dealer n parked at home, now will ve to wait till May15 to drive as I am not allowed to drive for one month. The car should be fine as its done only 50K miles

It must be very frustrating not being able to drive it yet - but I'm sure it will be worth the wait! :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice one, look forward to seeing some.pics and your thoughts on it - plus any plans you have for it too. :thumbup:

LC200.jpg

Looks great. Welcome to cruiser ownership

Just added pic of it. almost 4 years ago i decided to buy a red LC200, in these 4 years i looked many times at range rovers and discoveries but I couldnt convince myself to buy them and LC 200 always won. every time I think of buying LC200, house repairs, fear of job n future, holiday expense or some xyz will come up and I didnt dare to buy one. Recently when doctor told about my ICD surgery, I sat and started drinking JD and started thinking then I decided to buy it, if we keep waiting, life ll be over and the right time never comes. Mad attraction, my family n few friends didnt understand why i got another car, I have a red saloon and a Lexus RX already.... thats how mad I am...what else could I say.

Nice one, look forward to seeing some.pics and your thoughts on it - plus any plans you have for it too. :thumbup:
:)First learn to tame this beast and use its powers, join UK cruisers club and go off tarmac n explore unmapped paths and prepare for overlanding after covering UK.

Back