Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2016 LC - US Model - Video Screens

Ripple

Country Flag
united_states
Hi All,

New to this forum and to the Land Cruiser.

I went to my local dealership the other day to check out the new 2016 in person. My overall impression was very positive, however I cannot get over the large video screen on the back of the front seat headrests. After getting in the drivers seat (I put the drivers seat all the way back, as I am tall), I climbed into the rear passenger seat behind the driver seat. I like to gage how much room someone will have behind me. Holy cow - the video screen felt like it was in my face. Those things are huge and unnecessary, IMO. I told the dealer these would have to go.....come to find out they can be removed, but the wires and screws will be exposed....what?!? According to the dealer there is nothing from Toyota that covers the void left by the screen. Furthermore, according to my dealership, I cannot order a LC without the screens....WHAT?!? This is crazy. I am stunned and really bummed as I was about to pull the trigger on this ride, but I cannot do it with these stinking screens.

Please talk me off this ledge - is there an option or solution that I am not seeing?

Depends whether you are buying this ride for yourself or your passengers....:think:

Depends whether you are buying this ride for yourself or your passengers....:think:

I think we know the answer.....ME, but I have others in my life that I must consider.....dang passengers. :icon-sad:

Lazy dealer wanting a quick turnaround with little effort to shift the one on his forecourt i reckon , discuss it with a dealer who doesn't have one in stock and you will probably get very different answers .

OP - I'm brand new to the forum and registered because I am facing the EXACT same dilemma. The screens in the rear are total eye-sores, way oversized, and "in-your-face". I also worry that they pose a bit of a safety threat in the event of a collision (for passengers in the rear seats). There's the added issue that they'll be obsolete and clunky-looking in just a few short years, not-to-mention get banged up as kids/passengers get in and out of the car. Bottom line: I'm quite literally leaning towards buying a 2015 LC or a non-LC altogether because of those screens. If you manage to determine if they can be cleanly removed, I'd love to know. Similarly, if I find out something, I'll post it here as well. I do know, of course, that the car cannot be ordered without them, but I'm not sure - like you - whether they can be cleanly removed.

The screens are a bloody eyesore that's for sure
2016_Toyota_Land_Cruiser_07_5C6AE462426A7A5070DAB28AEB57E0FD8A96DBF4-89470.jpg

Makes me wonder how some footballer will turn up a pink one with yellow seats if it cannot be ordered without the screens ?

Seems wrong to have to modify a brand new car but if i was determined to have the truck i think i would speak to the guys that fit bespoke screens to see if they could replace toyotas own with something ipad sized .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OP - I also worry that they pose a bit of a safety threat in the event of a collision (for passengers in the rear seats).

I agree 100%. BTW I have not found any solution to this issue as of yet. If I do, I will post it here first. I sent Toyota an email about the screens. Who knows, maybe they will listen to buyers and create a solution to problem.

I agree 100%. BTW I have not found any solution to this issue as of yet. If I do, I will post it here first. I sent Toyota an email about the screens. Who knows, maybe they will listen to buyers and create a solution to problem.

A director with my local dealer suggested they could remove the panels and have the gap patched by their "leather guy". If it didn't match perfectly, he suggested another guy - a "dye guy" could be brought in to fix any mismatches. For now, I think I'll stick with the screen, though they're absolutely stupid! (Interestingly, the screens available to rear passengers on the United Arab Emirates are much sleeker and smaller - I wonder why we have to get the clunky looking ones?)

I sent an email to Toyota USA and received an email response (pasted below). Toyota USA all called me this afternoon to discuss my comments. I restated my concerns about the screen and the safety issue they pose. She was very kind and said that she will update the notes on the file number....who knows what all that means. Maybe Toyota will create a fix. If enough people voice concern about this problem, they actually might do something about it??

Dear Mr.

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

I appreciate you speaking with me today.

As we discussed, your feedback and comments have been documented at our Customer Experience Center and Corporate office. It is through communications such as yours that we become aware of our customers' expectations and reactions. It also provides us with valuable insight when planning and developing future products and services to increase our customers' satisfaction.

Your case is filed at our headquarters office under your name and file # 151207****.

If you have any further questions, please contact us at (800) 331-4331. Our hours of operation are 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. PST Monday through Friday and 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. PST on Saturday.

Thank you for considering Toyota for your personal driving needs.

Sincerely,

Yasmin G.
Toyota Customer Experience Center

Will pick up car on the 4th, looking forward to hearing about a possible fix regarding the removal of screens.

The LX570 has the exact same semi-anilline leather/virtually identical seats to the 2016 LC200. BUT the LX570 base model comes with no screens in the second row. Might be ridiculously expensive but replacing the seats in the LC200 with ones from an LX570 would do the trick and give you a perfect factory finish look...or you could just buy an LX570.

I agree about the rear screens, what's it all about ? unless they can stream Netflix or amazon video, then they are no use at all.
This is my families conclusion when we Purchased our 200V8

Did anyone ever figure out if the screens can be removed? I'm looking at buying a 2017 LC and I've got the same issue. My real concern is that they will be damaged when folding up the second row seats for cargo space. I'd much rather remove them and store them for safe keeping as I don't often have rear passengers on a long trip where they might be used.

2016 Toyota Land Cruiser Headrest Display replacement cost .... $6,469.26

This is not a joke...this is PURE CUSTOMER ABUSE!

On a long trip, I simply reclined my passenger seat, the headrest display slightly hit luggages in the back seat and cracked...

The first dealer took off the unit and sent it for repair, telling me it would be $525...It came back that Toyota did not have the parts in stock to repair the unit...NO KIDDING! This is a brand new car and they do not have the parts...Toyota...that's pretty lame.

I called Toyota Care...I explained that I only needed the part to replace the computer screen...not the whole headrest... On Ebay 11.6 inch Panasonic displays are available for about $60.00...No dice...

I escalated the case on Toyota Care...they told me to put it on my insurance...Needless to say that I was livid!

$6,469.26 for a cracked display is sheer customer and insurance abuse.

I am extremely disappointed.

Bernard M

I bought a 2017 Land Cruiser knowing I would immediately want to remove the screens. They are in the way, and subject to damage. A useless eyesore. They are fairly easy to remove. Pry off the small plastic cover on the seatback at the bottom, behind the screen. Remove three nuts that hold the screen bracket to the seat. Unplug the two cables (release tabs on these connectors are on the back side). I removed screen, then unplugged connectors. I can find no Toyota part to cover the whole in the back of the seat, so will fabricate something. By the way, I hate the third row seating as well, and removed those also.

If you’ve removed your screens, will you sell me one? I broke the passenger side screen.

Hey guys, made an account to try and help with some of the posts I have seen. I live in NC and I am sales rep at a Hendrick Toyota dealership.

I just sold a 16 Land Cruiser and the customers want the screens removed like you guys are asking about. ClarkB is correct, they really are not difficult to remove. My service department is not going to do it for them, they are going to charge around 400 dollars which is insane.

Toyota does not make any sort of cover to fill the gap remaining when the screens are removed.

Ripple, the dealership you are dealing with is just trying to sell you inventory that is in stock. Many Toyota dealerships, even with a customer in the store with cash in hand, can not get their hands on a Land Cruiser, it depends on the size and volume of the store. Our store is #1-#2 in all of Hendricks 113 stores and we only get about 6 Land Cruisers in our inventory every year. However, the screens are optional, it is an added package.

I guess Toyota makes most with the screens because we are Americans and they assume it is what we would want as the Land Cruiser drifts further from an off road vehicle to a specifically on road luxury car. The LC we currently have is 2018 Mag Grey with Black interior and no screens.

The only incentive to getting the screens is how much they cost when they are removed. It only costs around 300 dollars to get a LC with the screen as opposed to a LC without the screens.

Rippy, put up a fuss at the store, ask for an insane amount of money off because it is not the correct car, take the screens out when you get it home and sell them.

LC Seller, I live in Charlotte. Any chance I can purchase one of these screens, recently removed, from you or your dealership or the buyer?

Jtv107, I will check with the current owners. They may not be thrilled that there isn't a cover that can be put on the space created once they are removed and may want to just keep them in the car.

Car is getting some stuff done to it today at the store, I should know the answer by the end of the day. I am hoping yes, they dont seem like the kind of people who would store and take care of two screens until they want to trade the car in.

Back