Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

24v or 12v

warrenpfo

I am very embarrassed :oops: to ask but you know what they say if you don’t ask you don’t know.

Having owned this beast for just over a couple of weeks I am still finding out all about her. Having lifted the bonnet I know there are 2 batteries and assume one is for the electronic goodies, 12volt outlets etc and the other is for the starter.

Is this the correct assumption.

I'm pretty sure that the 100 TD is the same as the 80 and you have 24V starting (i.e. both batteries in use, connected in series via a relay just for starting) and 12V everything else (batteries in parallel, both in use).
I'm sure someone that knows something more about 100s will be along to confirm or correct me :cool:

Cheers,

warrenpfo said:
I am very embarrassed :oops: to ask but you know what they say if you don’t ask you don’t know.

Having owned this beast for just over a couple of weeks I am still finding out all about her. Having lifted the bonnet I know there are 2 batteries and assume one is for the electronic goodies, 12volt outlets etc and the other is for the starter.

Is this the correct assumption.
HI

I think it is a bit of a minefield as some are and some not !

I was always under the impression that the 80's were 12Volts but 24V starting, But when I bought my 100 series I was
also told by the Foreman at the main dealer that mine was 24volt starting, but found that it is just a 12Volt for everything, including starting.

So the way to check, look at the starter and it will say 24 or 12 Volt on it, but I suspect yours is 12 Volts

My understanding is if it is a UK model then it is 12V running, 24V starting. Some other market models come with variations on a theme from 24V all the time to 12V all the time. Depends on the perceived climate of the particular market. Some middle east market and far east market ones will possibly be 12V all the time as the weather is hotter and the engine is easier to turn over whereas the UK and Japan are perceived as cold climate so get the 24V starting.

Another way to check is to put a voltmeter across the passenger side battery +ve and a vehicle earth and get someone to start it while you watch, for a short time while starting the voltage will be 24V on that battery as the batteries are switched into series by the 12/24 changeover relay.

Andy Harvey said:
My understanding is if it is a UK model then it is 12V running, 24V starting. Some other market models come with variations on a theme from 24V all the time to 12V all the time. Depends on the perceived climate of the particular market. Some middle east market and far east market ones will possibly be 12V all the time as the weather is hotter and the engine is easier to turn over whereas the UK and Japan are perceived as cold climate so get the 24V starting.

Another way to check is to put a voltmeter across the passenger side battery +ve and a vehicle earth and get someone to start it while you watch, for a short time while starting the voltage will be 24V on that battery as the batteries are switched into series by the 12/24 changeover relay.

Hi Andy

"My understanding is if it is a UK model then it is 12V running, 24V starting."

Not in my case,UK model and 12 Volt only

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The 100 was never made as 24 V. Only plain 12 volts - the two batteries connected in parallel - functioning as one 200 AH battery - gives good CCA for cranking cold diesel.

It would have been cumbersome to find place for one 200AH battery.
Two things to note:
- When changing battery, make sure you change both, and make sure those two are a matched pair. If you keep the original configuration then the two have opposite terminal position. Several manufacturers make these left-right pairs.
- If you need to disconnect the battery quickly, it takes twice the time with two batteries.

Hmmm seems to be 2 conflicting stories the first that the batteries switch to 24v when starting the other that they don’t. I guess the only way to check is with a meter on starting which I will do but I guess both stories have their merits.

Either way what would be good to know is if the factory configuration is making the best use of the batteries or if it’s best to change it in some way and how and secondly which configuration is best for charging and running fridges etc off of.

Oh and lastly which is the best way to have the batteries for setting up a battery monitor?

uHu said:
The 100 was never made as 24 V. Only plain 12 volts - the two batteries connected in parallel - functioning as one 200 AH battery - gives good CCA for cranking cold diesel.

It would have been cumbersome to find place for one 200AH battery.
Two things to note:
- When changing battery, make sure you change both, and make sure those two are a matched pair. If you keep the original configuration then the two have opposite terminal position. Several manufacturers make these left-right pairs.
- If you need to disconnect the battery quickly, it takes twice the time with two batteries.

Mine is definately 24V starting the batteries connected through a 12/24V relay just like my old 80.

This is what TMC published with the introduction of the 1998 LC100 with TD engine:
5148986371_05af163731_z.jpg

If you have a 24 V starter, then either it is a 80, or somebody has put 80-parts into it.

Back