Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

276c wired into the headunit

warrenpfo

On having received my "new" toy (Garmin 276c) for an absolute bargain I might add I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to rather than add an external GPS receiver and having to run a wire through to the unit rather wire it into the built in satnav gps receiver for the head unit.

Not knowing if it has a separate unit and where it is placed in the car but just thought I would ask if this is a possibility?

I have read that three times now and I still don't understand the question :think:

I think I get it

Warren wants to use the cars existing sat nav receiver ariel for the Garmin instead of using another. Can't answer the question though.

I have a 276c unit. It has a built in gps receiver. Unless you have it on the dash with line of sight it is recommended to have an external receiver that you plug into the unit.

The external unit is normal mounted on the rook and has the cable run down the side of the windscreen and then in through the bulk head.

My thought was instead of purchasing an external gps receiver and having to run the cable how about wiring it into the built in radio/satnav that comes with the car.

Hope this helps as I would like to have the gps unit mounted down by the gear lever and so line of sight is not good hence the need for an external receiver.

Sorry Warren, I understand now. I think there are GPS Arial splitters available, but made for the marine market with prices to suit

I think your 276 uses a BNC connector instead of the more common MCX antenna connector but I have no idea what connector is fitted to the back of the Toyota unit.

Not much help, sorry.

No problem I guess the first thing to check is if there is a separate gps receiver unit to start with or is it built in to the back of the radio unit? Anyone have a pic of the back of a 2003 radio/satnav unit?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
what built in unit do you have,is it the Toyota TNs 300 or 500, if so they do have a separate GPS antenna and it is situated under the dash I think above the instrument cluster and is wired down into the under seat unit. It plugs in with the sort of plug normally used on Clarion Sat navs. With a splitter you could wire into that cable (probably best near where it enters the under seat unit as it would be easier to get at).

Thanks I have the drivers seat out currently just tidying up the Parrot install so will take a look as I have the cd/dvd drive for the head unit under the seat. Will see if I can take a pic and then get a splitter.

Back