Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2H engine recon no oil pressure until 3 or 4 starts

Hi Rodger,
I do not have a EDIC filter on my engine. Also first start the glow plugs on on and it runs for about a second and then stops. My next try I just turn the key and it starts. That the same each try after the first run. I don't touch any thing once it starts for the first time. The engine runs nice and all the other times but stops because no oil pressure. Once the oil pressure starts the engine will stay running.
Tomorrow I will try and start it and hope that there was some thing in the hole stopping the relief valve from closing right up. If still does it. I'm lost.

Hi Rodger,
Today is Friday and it's 1pm and I just started my cruiser engine. Great it showed oil pressure. That was after a very short time. so maybe some thing was in the hole where the relief valve sits. If it did the same not show oil pressure after say after 4 or 6 times I would remover the timing cover that has the relief valve in it and replace the timing case.
I feel sure the hole is a little bigger then it should be. and the only way to tell that is a small gauge that will fit in the hole and I don't think there would be one small enough to use.
Second start no glow used. The last start was last Saturday so that would have told me if the problem was still there for sure. I'll keep you up to date as now it's time to go back to rubbing down the undercoat.

Cheers
John

Hi Guy's
I was veery sure I left a message about my oil pressure on Saturday. Maybe I didn't touch the right button. Anyway It started uo and oil pressure was there after a week of sit and not starting the engine. As I said it may have so thing in the hole to stop the relief valve from totally closing right up. Not sure as I did see any thing that may have been in the relief hole.

Funny. I did leave a message on Friday. But this morning It wasn't there until I posted the one this morning. Strange.
Cheers
John

Hello guy's, Well every time I start my engine I have oil pressure all the time now. So there must have been a bit of gasket or what ever , not letting the relief valve to close right home and letting the oil over time to run back into the sump.

Today Saturday I sprayed the undercoat on the tun as well as the back panel that has the windows holes in it, and the bib. My window surround is all ready done. The spray painter who is going to spray on the colour Toyota white for me as buy the time I get around to do it my self winter will be here. I would have to wait till summer to spray the colour on. Next week I will spray the two doors and some bits and take it to him. I am giving him my colour. It is a 2 pack paint so he will need my colour, harder and reducer. and if once it is finished I'll put it together with the new rubbers I have, but finding it hard the get the new rubber that goes between the back of the tub and the back panel with the windows holes in it. I have the old one but it is really bad. I'll have to go on the bay in USA and see if I can buy one.

Rodger did you find if you cannot the longer relief valve let me know as I maybe able to get one and send it to you. There you are. Can you see if that back rubber you can get and I'll buy the valve for you and send it to you and you send me that rubber???

Let me know what the coast is just to make sure you are not paying more fir then the valve coast ok. John

John,

There are so many rubbers so can you send a photo/s.
Is your cab top-half panel removable? As on some 45s.
I'm guessing the HJ57 cab and the 45 cabs are the same.

Regards,
Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello Rodger,
That company has them in stock here for $50 AUD in Australia. They are just a flat piece of rubber with the bolt holes in them. You cannot buy a gem one any more.
cheers
John

But did you buy the relief valve Yet??

John,
Spain, where I live, is in a lock down which includes postal services so at the moment it would not be delivered, so I haven't ordered it. We were thinking we'd check the oil pressure sensor first.
When life gets back to normal, then we'll see.

Regards,
Rodger

Hello Rodger,
We are in the same boat regarding postage and now travel. Soon it will be total lock down because people in Australia still don't get it. That is the go to the beaches and do the same thing they did before. There is most of us that do the right thing but as we see on the news where some don't. Now all eating places are closed and only takeaways are aloud. But before that happened the eating places had to have a empty table between you and this lady came in and sat in one of the tables to drink her coffee. The guy sitting on his table told her she should be sitting there. So she got up and coughed at the guy's face and walked out. Unreal hay.
Take care Rodger and look after your self and hope we are all still here when we get to the other side of this virus.
Regards
John

Gday John and Rodger I’m brand new here and have been catching up on your oil drain back problem John, glad you got it sorted.
I just bought an old hj60 with a 2 h, needs a lot of work so will be turning to this page for some advice, my hj60 is one owner with 262,000 klms, from a farm with not a spec of rust ( only surface rust which actually looks pretty cool I think haha)
I’m going to go right through the mechanicals of it so no doubt I will have a lot of questions, cheers in advance

Hi Steve,

If we can help in any way just ask. Take care and hope it works out for you.
Cheers
John

Hello Steve and welcome.

A 60 with only surface rust and a 2H that's only just run-in, people will be envious!
You will find this to be a friendly forum but we do like photos and, when you need advice, we will try to help.

Regards,
Rodger

Hello Steve and welcome.

A 60 with only surface rust and a 2H that's only just run-in, people will be envious!
You will find this to be a friendly forum but we do like photos and, when you need advice, we will try to help.

Regards,
Rodger

Thanks Rodger, yeah I think I got lucky with this one, I do have one question, how would I go about getting the interior completely retrimed to original state, it is currently all original but in very poor condition

Hi Steve,

Now I haven't searched any sites fir 60 series seats but I think that most of us would find a good trimmer and get him/her to remake the covers and any interior parts that may be needed. Use the best quality materials.
Good trimmers a few and far between so ask about among car enthusiasts/resto club forums. You are in Oz (if I remember correctly). If you are near the sea there are usually trimmers near the marinas - ask and see their work before committing. May be worth asking at you local Toyota LC dealers - who do they use...

Be aware that not all boat trimmers will do car stuff. The lady who has modified our soft top only does boat trimming and our 40 because she thought it was 'cute'!

Not sure that this is a help...

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Steve,

Now I haven't searched any sites fir 60 series seats but I think that most of us would find a good trimmer and get him/her to remake the covers and any interior parts that may be needed. Use the best quality materials.
Good trimmers a few and far between so ask about among car enthusiasts/resto club forums. You are in Oz (if I remember correctly). If you are near the sea there are usually trimmers near the marinas - ask and see their work before committing. May be worth asking at you local Toyota LC dealers - who do they use...

Be aware that not all boat trimmers will do car stuff. The lady who has modified our soft top only does boat trimming and our 40 because she thought it was 'cute'!

Not sure that this is a help...

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Rodger,

unfortunately I’m in a small country town( good for old cars not rusting)might have to travel a bit to get the interior done unless something pops up with great interior
Thanks again

Hi Steve,
I know the feeling - small town in mountains but with very few old cars, except ours - so we have to travel to find an upholsterer. For us it is not too bad only a 200kms round trip but covered many hundreds of kms seeing others work and almost didn't visit her cos she 'boats only' but we persuaded her to look and that's when 'it is so cute' came in.
Keep searching

regards,
Rodger

Hi Guy's,

Gee it's getting hard to go any where here where I live. So I will wait for good weather as right now it's we weather for a few days.
I want to spray more undercoat on the mud guards and all the bits I have. I was out side in the weather but covered up so now back in the garage. The people who put the concrete down should be shot. The rain water that hits the roller doors it runs in side. and in the mieldle of the floor is lower and end up with a pool of water. Anyway all you cruiser guys look after your selves and keep safe.

Cheers
John

Back