Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

4WD will not engage (1994 KZJ78W Prado)

hemingway

Country Flag
united_states
Hi all,

This is my first post ever and super noob to LCs and 4x4s in general. Just had my 1994 J78 Prado imported from Japan mainland and basically my 4wd lever does not budge…hub lock light comes on after pushing button but 4WD light does not illuminate after pushing H4 button and stick doesn’t move. Tried in park and neutral with motor running. Is there something I’m missing?

Cheers, H

With the manual lever it may be seized and preventing the movement to L4, if you take a look at it from the underside you'll see the pivot point that could be the cause of the problem.

Saw it once that the h4 system had a corroded vacume line that will also prevent 4wd actuating. Also check that the electronic hub's are actually working as these will prevent 4wd from working too!

A good check over the system is a good place to start..

Copy all!

Will take a look today at all of the above and report back.

H

***UPDATE***
So I was able to get H4 working…figured out that if you hold H4 button for 2-3 sec (maybe bad contacts??) the light will eventually come on and could actually feel the system engage and drive around in H4. However, shifter still will not budge, so I’m not able to engage L4…checked the underside linkage going to xfer case and all visually looked okay but didn’t try to break anything loose. Unless there’s a lube fitting I’m not aware of or another possible quick fix that y’all think I should try, I’m going to take her to my mechanic to have a look.

Get him to check the oil levels on the truck front rear diffs gearbox and transfer box engine oil brake fluid and coolant and for peace of mind check the brake system for proper functionality suspension components and the tyres then you are set to go and enjoy your truck and when you got some time could you put up some pictures please and what you want to do modify and play or modify and travel

As Iwan says, stiff through lack of use, it pays to cycle these on any vehicle every so often just at a standstill.
My 78 is a firm, positive movement, gearshift needs to be in neutral while engaging.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
*UPDATE*

Hi guys thanks for the responses…took to my mechanic for scheduled maintenance and mentioned the seized shifter. He was able to free it up! From what he explained, he disconnected the linkage going to the transmission, lubed the f out of it and put under heat to eventually loosen it up. Thanks again for the responses.

Back