Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

50mm receiver adaptor

fridayman

Garage
Does anyone make a 50mm receiver adaptor that bolts onto a normal towbar? I want to use it to mount a recovery point.

I'm going to say unlikely. Now you can get receivers into which you can put a tow ball. In other words the opposite of what you are looking for. Mine does that.

But the other way around? Hmm. You could have a bolt on tow ball that you unbolt and put a home made tube onto, but I have never seen one and I would make one like that either.

C

Gav Peter said:
Not quite a receiver but this is what Steve (SAE70) did for his recovery point...

Steve's Recovery Point

Cheers

I like it, but my towbar has a more traditional plate with holes in that the tow ball bolts onto.

I also have one of those ball and pin hitches, but I'm just not sure how if I trust it to be strong enough for recoveries.

Chris said:
I'm going to say unlikely. Now you can get receivers into which you can put a tow ball. In other words the opposite of what you are looking for. Mine does that.

I'll probably end up getting something like that so that I can fit a Tregg type coupler for our camper trailer.

Well whatever you put in there it's only as strong as your tow bar, isn't it. Most are about 4 bolts into the chassis. The advantage with mine is that the tube is let into the main cross member of the bar. That way, when you pull on it, you are not twisting the tow bar as you would be with the lower pin and ball arrangement. The lower you go, the more twisting you are going to put into the cross member. Of course on the 80 there is the additional advantage of being able to assist this by bolting the tow bar cross member into the rear chassis member.

It does generally mean though, that you have to use a drop plate to get the tow ball lower down for your trailer to hitch onto, but then you are pulling very little load in comparison to a recovery.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back