Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

6000km in 7 weeks in East Africa. What to service and when?

I have always used genuine Toyota filters. I might leave them in a while but they do contain all the right bits for the truck.

I too use OEM everything. It's a bit costly, but with the cheap labor charges here, those are offset somewhat. I also mark the current filter to be sure it's changed, never caught them out yet!

I used to use all OE until the 'local' dealer which was already miles away moved even further distant, the Bosch seemed a good alternative. Never had any issues but worth of note from what I have read. FWIW the Fram filters that always seem to get a hammering are not going to get any help from me, only seen one filter split and dump the oil all over the road, that was about 20 years ago, never used another, the shop supplier after awhile started using alternatives, and Wix ended up as his stock filter.

regards

Dave

Dave 2000;441685) said:
FWIW the Fram filters that always seem to get a hammering are not going to get any help from me, only seen one filter split and dump the oil all over the road

Thanks for the discussion everyone. In the end I went for the consensus of the cautious and I changed the oil (new oil is BP Vanellus) and put in a new filter... Fram as it happens. The other choices were GUD and some no-name Chinese things.

The air filter I gave a clean (just with air) and unfortunately I've noticed the plastic top is cracked. I noticed dust inside the conduit between the filter and the engine, so it's probably time for a new one. In the meantime, I have a motorcycle collision to sort out :(

20151108_110429.jpg

Bloody hell, that was a hard impact for a bike, all ok?

regards

Dave

Bloody hell, that was a hard impact for a bike, all OK?

Amazingly yes. Fortunately the car was barely moving. There were two blokes on the motorbike and neither was wearing a helmet, which is pretty typical in Mozambique. The driver has several bruises, cuts and bumps but nothing broken or any internal trauma, the passenger only a grazed knee. I'm extremely relieved because it could have been far far worse.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hope it doesn't cost too much as you are naturally assumed guilty by the local plod!

I was very surprised. The Mozambican police were officious but friendly, and we only had to pay a fine of about £25, plus the medical bills. New wing mirror was £50 (cheap Chinese replica, no OE available) and the panel beating will have to wait.

Last edited:
Back