Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series diesel injector pump.

MichaelJC

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hi All.
Anyone here know a bit about these pumps?. My questions are:
Do they have internal filters?
Do they have an integrated delivery lift pump?
My vehicle started starving for fuel some time back. I fixed it back then by fitting an additional electric lift pump. There is now plenty of volume being delivered to the injector pump.
Its all rather strange as occasionally it will come right for while., then starves at about medium revs and medium load.
I figure that they must have an integrated lift pump as there is no such pump on the fuel line feeding the injector pump - is there?
Any help would be appreciated. Other than this problem it runs very well with plenty of power.
And oh: the other thing it started to do was stall when it was nose-up on a steep incline.

Thanks

Michael C

Mine did stall when nose up.
Cured by getting rid of acsd and replacing by a blanking plate + o-ring.
Acsd let air into the ip.
Good luck!

There are filter(s) in the pump. From memory there is one inside the banjo bolt that bolts on the delivery pipe. If that is blocked I don't think you can clean it.

Thanks for the feedback guys
I can easily try the ACSD trick first. Aside from this I am still thinking internal filters. It could have both problems .

Yes there is an internal lift pump. There is an internal solenoid to keep the fuel flowing. The actuating wire is screwed to the solenoid. Any break in the current will cause the pump to stop fuel delivery. An intermittent electrical fault might cause temporary loss of power. I should double check the fuel supply rate by taking off the delivery pipe. I would check the sock filter in the tank as well.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Another filter under the plunger assembly according to Dave 2000.
Probably my error in the way I mentioned or described it Frank, my apologies. The filter under the plunger is the service filter.

There are three filters in the 80 diesel system, the first in the tank, it is a plastic one on the fuel pickup pipe in the tank, the second being the large serviceable one under the plunger in the engine compartment, this also has the water drain/sensor assembly. Finally there is a third in the banjo connection to the actual pump, this is brass IIRC, and can be fished out and cleaned.

If fitting an additional pump in the fuel line cures any running problems you have despite all three filters being clean, then there is a fault in the OE pump.

Regards

Dave

there is a filter under the fuel cut solenoid also.

imo fitting a electric pusher pump is only masking a problem with the injector pump.
put the cost and effort of installing a pusher pump towards removing and getting your IP serviced.

have you replaced the hand primer above the fuel filter?

there is a filter under the fuel cut solenoid also.

Yep, that was the one I was referring to, access via the banjo connection.

I completely agree about the fitment of a pusher pump masking another issue.

Regards

Dave

I've been restoring/learning about mercury stick barometers. It's relevant to the LC diesel fuel supply. There is a "lifter" pump in the distributor pump on the engine. It lifts fuel out of the tank as the tank is at a lower level. What is happening is that it is atmospheric pressure on the fuel surface that is pushing the fuel up, otherwise you would have a vacuum between pump and tank. As the pump gets even higher than it is c/w the tank, eg up hill, the efficiency very slightly drops. However atmospheric pressure will support a column of diesel 36 ft or 12m high. Even extreme angles of the car will not reach anywhere near this distance. If one needs an additional pump that means a weak lift pump or a blockage somewhere in the system.
That's my take on it anyway.

That's just what I was thinking frank.. :)

I've been restoring/learning about mercury stick barometers. It's relevant to the LC diesel fuel supply. There is a "lifter" pump in the distributor pump on the engine. It lifts fuel out of the tank as the tank is at a lower level. What is happening is that it is atmospheric pressure on the fuel surface that is pushing the fuel up, otherwise you would have a vacuum between pump and tank. As the pump gets even higher than it is c/w the tank, eg up hill, the efficiency very slightly drops. However atmospheric pressure will support a column of diesel 36 ft or 12m high. Even extreme angles of the car will not reach anywhere near this distance. If one needs an additional pump that means a weak lift pump or a blockage somewhere in the system.
That's my take on it anyway.

Your right Frank, unfortunately it cannot lift air.

Regards

Dave

another thing to try Michael is check the fuel tank one way valve is working, when you take the fuel cap off does it suck air in? Keep a close eye on your engine oil level if your using an aditional fuel pump

Back