Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series Kill Switch

Without a doubt Shane, you may remember the albeit unsuccessful hand brake to gear lever lock? Something like that or the interlock used by SAAB that locked the gear lever in position with the ignition key?

Regards

Dave

I don't Dave i come from a place where i never took my bike keys out of the ignition despite my tendency to park it up outside a pub and not return for it until i was sober a few days later .

Just thinking it can't back fire , hidden button , hidden lock , the hard bit is getting into the habit of knocking it into neutral when you park up .

It's a little like that where I now super quiet six houses in the village however, I think the way the economic climate is going (again), then I want to hang onto my 80, and anything else that some thief who is desperate for some money might take. So do whatever you can mate.

Regards

Dave

@Dave2000 @Mblinko
Hi Dave.... 'Sunny Suffolk calling Sunny Spain'.
Just following from my PM a few weeks ago, am I right in assuming that Mark, at some point is going to list your last literary work on this thread, or do I need to PM him directly?
Hope all's well.
Cheers
Bodie

@Bodie I have completed the work on my end, Mark suggested putting it all into a PDF file so making it easier to access via a PDF file but I know he was busy and is probably close to working on it this weekend perhaps. One of the issues was not being able to send the diagram with a picture via a PM, so he was going to put that in the PDF as well. I have had to stay away from the laptop screen for a few days as it was triggering headaches.

Should be sorted soon.

Regards

Dave

@Dave2000
Thanks Dave.
No problem, I'll watch out for Mark's posts.
Well.... I suppose the sun must be starting to heat up over there, so time to shove the screens back in the cupboard and enjoy the rays. Perhaps if the screen addiction youngsters have nowadays, gave them headaches, it would get them off their phones!!
Out of interest Dave...... how long have you been in Sunny Spain?
Stay well.
John

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got something called COVID yesterday so will be a bit of a delay

A button to hide in plain sight

1647552022814.png

@Dave2000
Thanks Dave.
No problem, I'll watch out for Mark's posts.
Well.... I suppose the sun must be starting to heat up over there, so time to shove the screens back in the cupboard and enjoy the rays. Perhaps if the screen addiction youngsters have nowadays, gave them headaches, it would get them off their phones!!
Out of interest Dave...... how long have you been in Sunny Spain?
Stay well.
John

I am house sitting at the moment, and this area of Murcia has just experienced sand storms from Morocco so literally red skies as if somewhere on Mars and sand absolutely everywhere! This was followed immediately by the 'Gota Fria' or 'Cold Drop' as it is known. this is torrential rain, real 'Wrath of God' stuff! This lasted for 48 hours day and night, roads flooded rivers and rambla's flooded, if I was at home I would be trapped there as are my neighbours at present, of course we keep reserves of gas and food, a couple of generators on standby and so forth so no big deal. I have lived here around 16....ish years now, and have got used to these weather 'events', oh did I mention it is bitter cold at the moment as well, presently 6*C with high winds and rain is expected to restart today and continue over the weekend, remember this is southern Spain, you know where the weather is warm and sunny?

Stay safe.

Regards

Dave

We did have a reddish hue in the sky here and every window now needs a good wash! But with your proximity to the Sahara, that must have been one hell of a sight to see!. although the following floods are no fun, I can vouch for that!
'6°C, wind and rain'....... those 16ish years aren't turning ya a but soft Dave?
Cheers

Hi all, the kill switch instructions are all done, Mark @Mblinko compiled them with the diagram into a PDF file to make it easier and with 'baby step' numbers, many thanks Mark and appreciated.

I have received a lot of interest from friends I know from the forum who have emailed me direct, getting attachments to work with PM's does not seem to be easy to get to work (might be me), many other members have sent me their email address via PM (not on the open forum), and they have all now received the instructions and diagram, so those interested please do the same.

I have made the instructions/diagram to suit the novice and those proficient with electrics however, regardless of your skills please do not hesitate to PM or email me for anything that needs clarification as I do not judge (but might put your member name on the forum so others can :)).

Stay safe

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Interesting that a 'MUD' member from the other side of the pond emailed me for the magnetic kill switch instructions, I think whilst on paper it seems to be quite a job, but when you actually get to it it really is not that difficult to do, the instructions being written for a novice.

So please pm your email address if you want a copy.

Regards

Dave

Just sent another couple of forum members the instructions for this via their email, a question asked by a MUD member was about this device working on petrol versions of the 80 the standard used in the US/Canada, the answer is yes, this does work on all petrol or diesel cars not just the 80. The only issue with later or more modern vehicles is the plastic fuel pipe that is used, to make sure you have a decent seal between the stop solenoid is once you have cut the pipe is to push in a metal insert to the plastic tube, this allows you to tighten the pipe clip/jubilee clip properly without crushing the pipe, this could be any piece of metal tube, for example plumbers shops keep small inserts for 6, 8 and 10mm tubing for plumbing plastic piping in modern houses. Don't use the Chinese jubilee clips, during translation there appears to be some confusion between metal and cheese?

Regards

Dave

Just got this brilliant explanation document. many thanks to Dave and Mark.
What a great resource the folks on this forum are.

Back