Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series starter motor- parts and suppliers

pugwash

Country Flag
uk
After buggering my starter motor (right royally), I've spent some time looking for starter motors. Toyota wanted a faintly comedic £680 for a new one.

Spent quite some time looking for a new supplier.

Milners wanted £170+£8 delivey +VAT- £213, which isn't a bad price, but they couldn't tell me if that was brand new, OEM, remanufactured or anything similar - all they could tell me was that they had one on the shelf and that they came from a UK supplier.

The cheapest supplier i found who looked vaguely reputable (and seemed to know what they were talking about) were these guys http://www.startermotor-alternator-stor ... 2327-p.asp

they wanted £165 delivered, which is cheap. When i phoned them they certainly knew their onion but agreed that the picture on the website was the actual unit. This is fine, but the unit is clearly NOT oem, with no drainage/expansion holes and a different design of body. If i wasn't using the vehicle hard for offroading and overlanding this would be the unit i'd go for, but when you need to rely on something then you ahve to have confidence.

Eventually i remember a remanufacturing company called Wood Auto Supplies- a good quality independant recommended to me by a friend in the car trade- they started out in automotive rotating remanufacturing!

A quick search on the DENSO part gave this: http://www.woodauto.com/Unit.aspx?Man=D ... 1280008620
which is clearnly an OEM spec 24v starter for a cruiser- exactly the same body, same motor, same screw and bolt arrangement. Looks remanufactured to me! Price is about the same as Milners (and maybe what milners supply), but knowing what you are getting is key, and with next day delivery, i'll be ordering one of these shortly. This really does look very good value for money- will have to see if it performs as well as it looks.

- it also lists equivalent part numbers. Most interestingly it also shows parts numbers for the sub assembly of the starter- including the pinion/sub assemble for £50- this is the part which is £200 from Toyota and you need a press to remove- basically its the bendix drive that shoves the starter gear onto the ring gear. Very hard to find in my search so far- they also supply the intermediate gear, and the armature (bascically the drive motor).

If you want more parts, you can buy a solenoid including housing from here:
http://rfrance.com/catalog.php?category=STARTER SOLENOID&brand=DENSO&key=16 -part number ss50-100
They also do a variety of other bits and bobs.

Oddly the only bit i couldnt' find from these places were the contacts and plunger, but you can buy these from Yota for not too much money.

With all the above parts, you can replace any bit of a starter motor that isn't working- which is what i'll probably do for my old starter- strip it doen completely, replace the bushes and the starter gear, and then either keep it as a spare or put it up for sale!

Hope this helps other people- will update when i've had the new starter from Wood Automotive (and probably found out that my ring gear is buggered!)

Oddly Wood auto also do new and reconditioned alternators, but they don't seem to be as good value- however the website is so large that i have maybe missed something!

Fantastic Pug, you must be psychic, :idea: I too have starter problems at the moment (Milner) luckily I have a spare OEM one in the garage, the one that was taken off previously when I thought I had starter probs before and bought the Milner one, after cleaning the contacts the OEM turned out to be OK, so ended up as the spare but I will want to get another now as a spare.
I will be contacting Milner with a complaint, so do you think they could be persuaded to refund rather than replace? :pray: this must be the 4/5th one of theirs I have had fail :angry-screaming:

how long ago did you buy it?

sales of goods act applies- must be fit for purpose- if they keep breaking then they blatantly aren't fit for purpose and can be rejected- believe time frame is up to 6 years or so. you may need to write to them!

pugwash said:

sales of goods act applies- must be fit for purpose- if they keep breaking then they blatantly aren't fit for purpose and can be rejected- believe time frame is up to 6 years or so. you may need to write to them!
I still have the receipt, or a scan of it anyway, it was bought 1/3/2011, so well inside the guarantee :thumbup: but they may agree to replace but not refund :think:

Cossack said:
pugwash said:

I still have the receipt, or a scan of it anyway, it was bought 1/3/2011, so well inside the guarantee :thumbup: but they may agree to replace but not refund :think:
you can easily reject it.

PHone them up, ask them for an RMA number to reject a starter motor and arrange a refund. See what they say.

A reasonable time frame for a starter motor to work is probably 5-7 years- ie the expected life of a vehicle.

4 months is entirely unreasonable.

SOGA details here

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac ... =RESOURCES
The rights of customers: goods
If you sell goods that don't conform to contract - that aren't as described, are unfit for their purpose or of unsatisfactory quality - you are legally obliged to resolve the problem if your customers seek redress.

The Sale of Goods Act states that if customers want to reject faulty goods, they have to do so within a 'reasonable time'. A legal definition of 'reasonable' is not given though - it varies from case to case and could be just a few weeks from the date of purchase.

If a customer rejects faulty goods within this 'reasonable' period, they're entitled to ask for their money back. All customers can claim compensation at any time if they choose. If you sell to consumers - not other traders - they can ask for a repair or a replacement immediately (instead of asking for a refund) at any time until six years after purchase.

If you're dealing with a consumer, any repair or replacement you arrange must not cause them too much inconvenience. You may have to pay for other costs such as transportation. However, if a replacement is impossible and the goods cannot be repaired economically, or vice versa, then you can offer a full or partial refund.

In law you have a responsibility to your customer for up to six years from the date of purchase (in Scotland, five years from discovery of the problem). During this period, you are legally obliged to deal with any claim of breach of contract.

Firms hate trading standards so if they don't offer you a refund you could say that you will report the problem. They will probably help you to avoid all the fuss. Liability under contract lasts 6 years so you can sue in that period. A starter should last at least 1 year! More likely over 6 years. You may have a bit of a grey area in that the motor worked OK originally and they could offer to replace it or send it back under guarantee.

I was sold faulty leaf springs for a Land Rover by a firm in West Bromwich. The bushes were loose immediately after fitting. I took them back and they told me to F-O ; so I did ; to Trading Standards and they immediately raided the place and took all their springs off them. They also ordered them to refund my money. Trouble is they got a little bit violent so as I was on my own I ran away holding the money.

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
FWIW the starter from Wood Auto turned up today- i was a bit worried as i ordered it last night at 4 but never got an email confirmation- phoned them to be informed that it would be with me between 2:30 and 3:30. low and behold- 3pm the thing turns up!

Had a good look at it- body looks OEM, slight difference on the motor, but looked very well made- copper contacts, right number of bolts, evrything faced correctly, rubber breathers present etc etc- bolted it in (after all this practice it took me 32mins from opening the bonnet to closing the bonnet- i was well impressed with myself :) ) and it started with less than a quarter of a turn like it used to. very good.

will report back in 6-12 months after its had some offroading to let you know how reliable it is!

Cossack said:
I will be contacting Milner with a complaint, so do you think they could be persuaded to refund rather than replace? :pray: this must be the 4/5th one of theirs I have had fail :angry-screaming:
I phoned Milner this morning, and without any prompting by me agreed to refund in full :thumbup:

Cossack said:
I phoned Milner this morning, and without any prompting by me agreed to refund in full :thumbup:

Probley they have been reading this forum!!

Seems like the same part Paul. Has your output gear been chewed up but the flywheel?

No, it's nothing like as bad your one was Rob, same issue though.

Been having the tell-tale dead clicks for a while, I ignored it and one day when I absolutely had to be somewhere the contacts stuck on, for a couple of miles at least, until the ringing noise stopped but the car would no longer start despite a whirring noise from the starter motor.

It seems there are two sacrificial areas, the output gear and the clutch on the pinion drive. I stripped mine and the contacts are hideous but the pinion drive clutch won't engage in either direction of turning.

Would offer you parts from my OEM one as its still complete and its only the bendix drive thats buggered

but seeing as you have a buggered bendix drive too then i'm not sure its going to help!

Nick, sorry I called you Paul, I saw Paul's name but read your post. Obviously this time off is not doing my brain any good...
Nick Shepherd said:
Been having the tell-tale dead clicks for a while, I ignored it and one day when I absolutely had to be somewhere the contacts stuck on, for a couple of miles at least, until the ringing noise stopped but the car would no longer start despite a whirring noise from the starter motor.

Sounds familiar, a hammer to the starter usually stopped the noise...

I've got new contacts and plunger in my sweaty mitt and a new pinion gear assembly on the way from Wood's so should be able to see how flat my batteries are tomorrow :D

That's the bit arrived from Wood's and it looks to be spot on. Most importantly, it only rotates in one direction.

A couple of hours pushing against springs and nipping my fingers and it should all be going back in just right for another several years.

starter.jpg

FWIW the starter from Wood Auto turned up today- i was a bit worried as i ordered it last night at 4 but never got an email confirmation- phoned them to be informed that it would be with me between 2:30 and 3:30. low and behold- 3pm the thing turns up!

Had a good look at it- body looks OEM, slight difference on the motor, but looked very well made- copper contacts, right number of bolts, evrything faced correctly, rubber breathers present etc etc- bolted it in (after all this practice it took me 32mins from opening the bonnet to closing the bonnet- i was well impressed with myself :) ) and it started with less than a quarter of a turn like it used to. very good.

will report back in 6-12 months after its had some offroading to let you know how reliable it is!

So, interested to see if this starter worked out for you?

Unfortunately my 80 has gone a life in the sky, but the starter ran perfectly with no hint of trouble

to be honest I'd totally forgotten about it after I fitted it!

As Fireworks Night is approaching I've ordered a Milners starter motor for the main event.

As Fireworks Night is approaching I've ordered a Milners starter motor for the main event.

Quick hijack :oops: As an asides Frank how did you get on with your 12 volt starter conversion?

regards

Dave

Back