Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series Winch Bumper Designed by MUD-KIT and Made in UK

Credit to you. Fine looking thing indeed. I do wonder if the bar obscures the headlight a little given that we need every single lux we can from these old candle driven monsters, but the shape certainly does look modern. What about wiring the indicators into the side lights and using the bumper lights as side lights (DRL styleee) Put orange bulbs in and they'd work well and be seen from the side.
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the comments. The headlights aren't noticeably obscured as the bulb reflects back to the top of the reflecter and the light from there illuminates downwards and vice versa. I looked at using the side lights a s indicators and it is certainly still on the cards. I just need to check the legality of the direction of the the reflector to see if there is a requirement for surface area facing forward. Also, less holes in the bumper = more strength.

Looking forward to more pics....
Will they be rated for recovery points ...?

Likewise..... Looks good and like Grimbo, I'd certainly be interested in seeing some more detailed photos.

I could do with one of these for my 100 series in Harare, It's got a nice angry look about it..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looking good and a fair price.
I guess the indicators are the round lights in the bar ? not sure they would be an MOT pass as they are too far from the edge of the vehicle ?
Any reason why the area infont of the originals has to slope up and obscure them ?
Also any tabs on the bar for spot lights ?
More detail pics ?
I like it..... ;-)

NIce design and decent price, but as Grimbo says, is it MOT compatible?

Regarding the MOT question... Nothing wrong with the indicators. See the Testers Manual;-

MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
Published
20 May 2018
Updated:
2 March 2022, see all updates
Search this manual
Search
Contents
4. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment
Headlamp, position lamps, daytime running lamps, stop lamps, indicators, hazard warning lamps, fog lamps, reversing lamps, lighting ‘tell-tales’, trailer electrical socket, electrical wiring and battery rules and inspection for car and passenger vehicle MOT tests.

Show all sections

4.1. Headlamps
Showthis section

4.2. Front and rear position lamps, daytime running lamps and end-outline marker lamps
Showthis section

4.3. Stop lamps
Showthis section

4.4. Direction indicators and hazard warning lamps
Hidethis section
In this section
4.4.1. Presence, condition and operation
4.4.2. Switching
4.4.3. Compliance with requirements
4.4.4. Flashing frequency
You must inspect all direction indicators and hazard warning lamps.

Direction indicators and hazard warning lamps are not required on vehicles:

first used before 1 January 1936
that do not have front and rear position lamps, or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are only used during daylight hours and not used at times of seriously reduced visibility
Direction indicators must be amber.

Vehicles first used before 1 September 1965 may have white front indicators and red rear indicators, if the direction indicators are combined with stop lamps or combined with front or rear position lamps.

Vehicles first used before 1 April 1986 do not need to have hazard warning devices.

Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must be fitted with an amber side repeater indicator on each side.

The side repeater can be part of the front direction indicator if it has one of the following:

a wraparound lens marked either with an ‘E’ mark in a circle or an ‘e’ mark in a rectangle with a number 5 above it
an amber light coming through the front lens when viewed from 1m to the side of the rear bumper
Semaphore arms may flash but do not need to.

A ‘light source’ means any bulb, LED or other means of emitting light.

You must assess damaged or repaired lamps for security, colour, light output and durability.

Direction indicators that function sequentially/dynamically are not to be considered a reason to fail.

Tricycles and quadricycles do not need side repeaters.

Tricycles and quadricycles classed as mopeds do not need hazard warning lamps. Only ‘bodied’ mopeds must have direction indicators.

Defect Category
(a) A direction indicator:

(i) lamp with a multiple light source up to 1/2 not functioning
(ii) lamp missing, inoperative or in the case of a multiple light source more than 1/2 not functioning

Minor
Major
(b) A lens defective:

(i) which has no effect on emitted light
(ii) such that the emitted light is adversely affected

Minor
Major
(c) A lamp:

(i) not securely attached
(ii) likely to become detached

Minor
Major
(d) Mandatory hazard warning device not fitted Major
(e) Mandatory hazard warning device inoperative Major
4.4.2. Switching
Hazard warning lamps must operate using only one switch and with the engine or ignition switch in both the on and off positions.

For tricycles and quadricycles, hazard warning lamps must work both with the engine running and switched off. This may be by use of an engine kill switch or by turning the ignition off.

Defect Category
(a) Indicator or hazard warning switch:

(i) does not operate in accordance with the requirements
(ii) inoperative

Minor
Major

Vehicles first used before 1 September 1965 may have white front indicators and red rear indicators, if the direction indicators are combined with stop lamps or combined with front or rear position lamps.

Switch on the direction indicator lamps and operate all the other lamps in turn to see if the direction indicator lamps are adversely affected.

On vehicles first used on or after 1 September 1965 with direction indicators combined with position lamps, the position lamp may or may not go out when its direction indicator is flashing. The direction indicator must flash amber only, with no white or red light.

A semaphore arm must light up when switched on, but it does not need to flash.

The precise position of lamps is not part of the inspection. You should check visually that they are at about the same height and distance from each side of the vehicle.

You must assess damaged or repaired lamps for security, colour, light output and durability.

Direction indicators that function sequentially/dynamically are not to be considered a reason to fail.

Defect Category
(a) Lamp emitted colour, position or intensity not in accordance with the requirements Major
(b) A direction indicator lamp adversely affected by the operation of any other lamp Major
Indicators must flash at between 60 and 120 times per minute. Semaphore type direction indicators do not need to flash.

Defect Category
(a) Rate of flashing not between 60 and 120 times per minute Minor

Ah, okay - just twigged that the indicator position is specified for SVA, not MOT....

Regarding the MOT question... Nothing wrong with the indicators. See the Testers Manual;-

MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
Published
20 May 2018
Updated:
2 March 2022, see all updates
Search this manual
Search
Contents
4. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment
Headlamp, position lamps, daytime running lamps, stop lamps, indicators, hazard warning lamps, fog lamps, reversing lamps, lighting ‘tell-tales’, trailer electrical socket, electrical wiring and battery rules and inspection for car and passenger vehicle MOT tests.

Show all sections

4.1. Headlamps
Showthis section

4.2. Front and rear position lamps, daytime running lamps and end-outline marker lamps
Showthis section

4.3. Stop lamps
Showthis section

4.4. Direction indicators and hazard warning lamps
Hidethis section
In this section
4.4.2. Switching
You must inspect all direction indicators and hazard warning lamps.

Direction indicators and hazard warning lamps are not required on vehicles:

first used before 1 January 1936
that do not have front and rear position lamps, or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are only used during daylight hours and not used at times of seriously reduced visibility

Vehicles first used before 1 April 1986 do not need to have hazard warning devices.

Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must be fitted with an amber side repeater indicator on each side.

The side repeater can be part of the front direction indicator if it has one of the following:

a wraparound lens marked either with an ‘E’ mark in a circle or an ‘e’ mark in a rectangle with a number 5 above it
an amber light coming through the front lens when viewed from 1m to the side of the rear bumper
Semaphore arms may flash but do not need to.

A ‘light source’ means any bulb, LED or other means of emitting light.

Tricycles and quadricycles do not need side repeaters.

Tricycles and quadricycles classed as mopeds do not need hazard warning lamps. Only ‘bodied’ mopeds must have direction indicators.

Defect Category
(a) A direction indicator:

(i) lamp with a multiple light source up to 1/2 not functioning
(ii) lamp missing, inoperative or in the case of a multiple light source more than 1/2 not functioning

Minor
Major
(b) A lens defective:

(i) which has no effect on emitted light
(ii) such that the emitted light is adversely affected

Minor
Major
(c) A lamp:

(i) not securely attached
(ii) likely to become detached

Minor
Major
(d) Mandatory hazard warning device not fitted Major
(e) Mandatory hazard warning device inoperative Major
4.4.2. Switching
Hazard warning lamps must operate using only one switch and with the engine or ignition switch in both the on and off positions.

For tricycles and quadricycles, hazard warning lamps must work both with the engine running and switched off. This may be by use of an engine kill switch or by turning the ignition off.

Defect Category
(a) Indicator or hazard warning switch:

(i) does not operate in accordance with the requirements
(ii) inoperative

Minor
Major

Switch on the direction indicator lamps and operate all the other lamps in turn to see if the direction indicator lamps are adversely affected.

On vehicles first used on or after 1 September 1965 with direction indicators combined with position lamps, the position lamp may or may not go out when its direction indicator is flashing. The direction indicator must flash amber only, with no white or red light.

A semaphore arm must light up when switched on, but it does not need to flash.

The precise position of lamps is not part of the inspection. You should check visually that they are at about the same height and distance from each side of the vehicle.

Defect Category
(a) Lamp emitted colour, position or intensity not in accordance with the requirements Major
(b) A direction indicator lamp adversely affected by the operation of any other lamp Major
Indicators must flash at between 60 and 120 times per minute. Semaphore type direction indicators do not need to flash.

Defect Category
(a) Rate of flashing not between 60 and 120 times per minute Minor
Cheers Odin!!!

Hello,

What is the progress on this design and manufacturing ? I like it, but am in Germany, so I guess shipping is still an issue. Any chance you would share plans with a local fabricator ? I have access to a welding school and testing facility, so that would be a good possibility. Otherwise, maybe you could get in touch to see what the shipping would be.

Cheers !

Back