Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

9" hid spotlights, too big? thoughts please.

white90

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Bought these 9" hid spots, can't decide if they are too big, thoughts and comments gratefully received.
WIN_20170322_180414.JPG

Thing is, once they've been on there a while, you won't look at them. For what it's worth, because it's your view, I don't think they look too big. In fact I think they look just right. The only concern I would possibly have is possible restriction to airflow through the radiator.

Can you post some photos of the beam from the driver's seat? Might help me decide whether HIDs or LEDs are the best light for this application. :icon-cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thing is, once they've been on there a while, you won't look at them. For what it's worth, because it's your view, I don't think they look too big. In fact I think they look just right. The only concern I would possibly have is possible restriction to airflow through the radiator.

Can you post some photos of the beam from the driver's seat? Might help me decide whether HIDs or LEDs are the best light for this application. :icon-cool:
Will post pictures when they are fitted and wired up, they are just resting on the bumper at the moment.
Not really concerned about air flow, triple core rad and a viscous fan, overheating not an issue.

I have both LED's and HID's and the HID's are significantly brighter and more penetrating than the LED's, the other difference being warm up time on first switch on. LED's, instant, HID's several seconds to get to full brightness.
I have some 6" Hella Luminator Pencil beam, bumper mounted driving lamps with HID bulbs and the light throw is awesome. Not found any LED's to match them yet.

This is what I've begun to think TP. Mainly through being half blinded whenever any car with HIDs comes along.

My LEDs are good, it's exactly as said, the HIDs are just better and seem to cut through and give a far better light.
Hmm, more food for thought.

Some of the OEM LED lights on new cars are much brighter than any after market items I've come across. No doubt they use top quality, high performance components with a long service life and a price to match.

I've never used projected LEDs, I only have the light bars, but I wouldn't want to swap my HID dip/mains, they're fantastic.

I recon HID spots or pencils would be excellent!

What's the point of using 9" when you can get smaller, more advanced ones? Like the 6" mentioned above here, or even 3". Some like it big though.

What's the point of using 9" when you can get smaller, more advanced ones? Like the 6" mentioned above here, or even 3". Some like it big though.
Please explain, how are the 6" one's more advanced?

Lens and reflector technology has developed a lot over the last few years, making it easier to get the required focus and pattern from a smaller package. So, generally, more advanced lights are smaller than the old, big buckets. Not saying that the 6" in this thread is more advanced than the 9" mentioned here; but rather that it is not required anymore to use so large reflectors to achieve good lighting.

Lens and reflector technology has developed a lot over the last few years, making it easier to get the required focus and pattern from a smaller package. So, generally, more advanced lights are smaller than the old, big buckets. Not saying that the 6" in this thread is more advanced than the 9" mentioned here; but rather that it is not required anymore to use so large reflectors to achieve good lighting.
Thanks I get what your saying, will look on youtube to check out the difference, having said that the 6"vlights will look lost on an 80, you need big lights for a big car (or am I just making up for certain inadequacies?)lol

Small lights can be tucked away in the grille, e.g. Out of the way of back street boys or a stray branch, or winch rope...

Back