Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90 series - front suspension ball joint wear

I have 8 units 95 series prados in amongst other vehicles. I first had a ball joint let go on a car with about 200,000km, same damage as what Bob had on his. I started changing all the vehicles ball joints but before I could complete the job, another one let go, similar mileage. I have seen other vehicles fall apart and I agree that rough road does play a part in this.
If the vehicle is permanently on paved roads, I wouldnt panic too much, the ones that I have seen let go have been on corrugated small potholed roads, long km, fast driving. They dont like it................

I had my o/s/f one let go crossing a speed ramp last week, same symptoms, steering got a bit stiff and then the joint popped, I relaced both of them and found the n/s one to be pretty notchy and worn yet could not get a hint of play even on the shaker plates in work(vehicle test centre), I brought blueprint replacements which had a small bolt fitted to the inside of them, I removed the bolt and fitted a pair of grease nipples instead so should be able to keep them right from now on.

Mick

Great idea with the grease nipple Mick .

If the vehicle is permanently on paved roads, I wouldnt panic too much, the ones that I have seen let go have been on corrugated small potholed roads, long km, fast driving. They dont like it................

Yikes that rings too many bells for me can anyone suggest a good separator tool that will fit and what else do i need - spring compressors and a hammer ? something like this i would be tempted to let a garage do but cleaning up and painting wishbones and anything else that i can paint before applying some underbody rust protection is on my MUST do as soon as we get some proper dry weather list .

No need for separator or spring clamps buddy, loosen the nut but don't remove it and give the wishbone where the joint goes through a couple of good belts of a hammer and it will separate, same with the track rod ends and the remove the 4 14 bolts and your off, 25 minutes a side and all finished. You can fill the rubber boot with grease through the nipped then as they have a release valve built in so you can't overfill.

Mick

Cheers Mick looking at ball joints those Blueprint ones seem to be the only ones showing the nut you replaced with a nipple and double the price of some others but the peace of mind a bit of grease will give has to be worth an extra 60 quid .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I bought them for 73 euros each, not bad seeing as I was quoted 85 sterling each in Northern Ireland(15 miles away). Should give a bit if peace of mind.

Mick

One set of ball joints that I bought out of a toyota packet were fitted with grease nipples!! lovely, I put them on the car that I am driving. I have now fitted about 6 sets of ball joints and this was the only pair to have grease nipples. all of our cars operate on about 30% gravel roads (uganda), it is one of the first things I look at on this model

Back