Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

96 Floor Mats

Rbone

Country Flag
united_states
Hi all. I have a quick question. But first, the story behind my newly acquired 96 Land Cruiser- My boss bought it new in 96. He and his family drove it until 2015, at which time he drove it into his barn in rural Texas and parked it. Last September, I was talking to him about our pick-up trucks when he mentioned the car was just parked. He added that I could have it if I wanted it, for free. So, I said yes, trailered it to my home, and have been getting her going again for about 5 months now. The entire engine bay was a huge squirrels nest with two rats nests inside each of the fenders. Just getting it cleaned out took the better part of 2 weeks. Then, repairing all of the electrical, vacuum line, etc. damage done by the vermin took about 2 months. After that, just normal mechanical - brakes, fuel system cleaning, coolant system cleaning, A/C, etc. I am happy to report that mechanically, everything is working now, except for the electric radio antenna! I have also clayed, buffed, polished, and waxed the body completely and it is looking like new. Being in Texas, there is no rust and the car has never been in an accident. So, I am very fortunate. I have a new set of leather and foam on order to make the seats new again.

In restoring the interior, I have one question - does anyone still make front floor mats with Land Cruiser stitched in them? There are several good firms who make what appear to be good quality cut pile and essex floor mats, but none that I have found are licensed to use the Land Cruiser trade mark from Toyota. Toyota does not seem to make them anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron Bone

Thanks Shayne! I clicked on each option and none of them fit 96-97. They are all 98+. Still looking.

They sold the 80 series in Venezuela until 2007 so it might be worth enquiring anyway .

You may find the wires to the antenna (ariel) have been eaten by the rats in the nner wing. By far the easiest way to check it to remove the entire wing, this is not as hard as it sounds.

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Dave from Spain! I have just returned from 10 days in Barcelona! Spain is such a beautiful country. Actually, the electric motor is working on the antenna. The mast is bent, so I am guessing that the gear or lifting rack is broken. I will take it out and investigate when it warms up.

On the mats, I may end up just having to replace them with ones without the name stitched in. I am a stickler for originality, but I may have to give in on this one. First task is replacing the foam and seat leather though.

Ron

Re antenna, mast is replaceable doing not much more than unscrewing the ring around the top of the ariel where the mast extends from and pulling up with someone pushing the up button, and then the whole rack comes out, then feed the new one in and have someone presses the down button and screw the ring back on, apparently you may have to remove/replace the new one a couple of times to get it to go all the way home? Checkout @chapel gate for a new mast, I have ordered the whole assembly from him

Regards

Dave

Back