Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A new toy...

JMHO, but if your into landing, I don't recommend a gutter mount, it will get ripped off on the first overgrown lane you do.

I ride on narrow tracked here and the roof rack takes the brunt of low branches and the taller under-growth.

I have my antenna mounted on the bull bar and even that has given it a bashing sometimes in the taller stuff, but at least it has survived.

Just my thoughts...

Clive, thanks for the advice and I take your point. I'm going to see how it goes: I'm happy that this is an experiment. In my patch there aren't too many overgrown lanes (not like Devon, say), by which I mean we do the odd overgrown lane but it's not as if every laning trip is a full day of scratchy, tight routes . And I'm unsure what the alternatives are: I wondered about a magnetic mount on the roof (not very secure), I don't want to drill the roof (I might have to!) and I dont have convenient bull bars or a rear door mounting point (and I worry about groundplane and reception issues in those locations, which is why I want it on the roof or gutter).

It's probably my bodger/skinflint mentality coming into play again: do the easiest/cheapest option first and then refine if necessary! I fully accept that it's the wrong approach as often as it's the right one.

I forgot to say as well, Clive, that I've added a quick release bayonet fitting to the gutter mount. So in theory I could take the aerial off when I see a tree tunnel approaching. Whether that is dead convenient or a pain-in-the-arse remains to be seen!

LC80tim, I'm actually a little disappointed with the size of this one - it's massive! It's easy to decide where to put it, simply because there's only one space it will fit without mounting it on top of the dash (too tempting for tea-leaves) or putting it in the stereo slot (which might be a later option)

Bert, Did you drill the metalwork? or via the window? I'm thinking of doing the latter: I'll see how well it works at the weekend

Hi Dave. Here's a couple of photos of the damage I visited upon the truck fitting the aerial.....
http://pin.it/dyjfZ3X
As mentioned elsewhere, maybe not the best location for snagging issues, but it works for me at the moment. If it became an issue, I could always fit a 'stubbie' aerial for short range work.

DSC_0307.JPG

That looks very neat Bert. I have fitted my gutter mount (some photos to follow) and it seems ok. I am not entirel convinced it will survive and if not I may well go down your route

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back