Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

About to embark on a journey to learn, make mistakes and seek advice.

Vulkyn

Country Flag
egypt
Hello Landcruiser lovers, it was great to stubble on this forum when i was searching for more information on the iconic FJ80 landcruier.

I loved my boat restoration project and having finished it after quite some time (and enjoying the learning experience tremendously) I have my eyes set on a landcruiser (which has been a dream if mine for almost 8 years now.).

I just had a first look on a 1991 FJ80 on sale and I am smitten ! having read, watched and pretty much imagined how it would be I was really taken back seeing it up close. What a real monster!

So my first step (much like what i did in my boat) is to seek those with knowledge and experience and ask as many question as they can tolerate before diving in and buying one.

I need the car for:
Boat transport, launching and retrieval.
Off roading in the Egyptian sand dunes.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and i look forward to learning !

Hi Vulkyn,

Welcome to the forum.

This is definitely the place to learn about Land Cruiser! When I first joined 8 years ago after a chance meeting with @Chris in Tesco car park I knew nearly nothing about Land Cruisers. Over the years I've ask questions, read posts and slowly built up my knowledge, experience and confidence, to the point where I now do most of the wok on the truck myself, and over the last 7 months during our trip in Africa I have been able to use that knowledge to fix a number of issues in the bush.

I owe many people on this forum a pint or 2 to say the least...

Nick

Hello and welcome. As Nick says, this is a great place to get help and advice. :)

I saw 2 cars at the moment, one is 1991 petrol that has been upgraded (Old man 3 inch lift, extra tire under the car, 2 batteries, extra fuel tank, winch, isolator for 2nd battery ) and another is 1993 turbo diesel not as used as the first (less milage and better kept car) but has far less upgrades.

In all cases the Fj80 is the one. I had a look at 2 trucks:

1) 4.5 Petrol 1991 around 420K kilometers relatively ok shape. Engineering wise its taken care off the owner has his hands in it, however the body care inside and out is below average.
The car has some nice mods coming with it, winch, 3 inch old man suspension, buffers and steering link (i think that's what its called) dual batteries, isolator. It comes with automatic transmission, extra spare (fitted below), extra fuel tank, 9000 lbs winch, android touch screen and other bits and pieces.

2) Diesel 1991 around 250k kilometers, engine is 2007 model. Car is less used and looks better, also has a touch screen sound system and sport suspension.

Both are about the same price, i never owned or used a diesel car and I am inclined to go for the first choice as overall it has more value.
So asking for your expertise!

I would pick the better vehicle with the lesser of mods as unless you personally know the builder and how it's been put together you could be in for a big expensive surprise if something goes wrong if you start with the better of them you can modify it for your requirements ok it will cost more in the long run for the winch and bumper the tyres and suspension upgrades but these are things you can do and fit yourself and know it has been done by you and done properly it is also another way to get to know your truck as you do the work on it

Great advice, well both offered me to do an extensive test drive and take pics as well. is there anything in particular i should look at ? (maybe Fj80 particular issues as an example? )

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
place to learn about Land Cruiser
Hi Vulkyn, welcome. Agree with Nick. I too had no idea about mechanics or cars. Before coming here I was the kind of guy who used Halfords for changing wipers and light bulbs as well. Now in a year I am now able to do a bit more than change engine oil and filter. Its just the blind confidence that anything can be fixed.

Welcome to the forum. Some advice is choosing a deasil. deasil engine are best for lugging boats and trailers around. If it is an FJ it would be a petrol (ULP). So I would check up on that. But anyway, good luck and I hope all goes well for you.

Back