Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ABS light bulb inquiry?

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
Someone asked about taking the ABS bulb out and it was queried that it was part of the cluster and not a separate bulb, damned if I can remember the thread, anyway it is a typical bulb along the bottom row like all the rest.

Regards

Dave

Yep, ''twas me Dave. Took mine out again today to remind myself. Given it failed the MOT on just the ABS warning light illuminating while on a test drive for brakes, I'm hoping that the re tester doesn't drive it out when he turns the ignition on and sees the ABS self test delay before extinguishing properly. Thing is, the bulbs out method and hot wiring the ABS light to the timing light wont work with hyper vigilant testers who know the cars, so it might fail again on that. I've not had a problem for the 7years or so in France because they tested brakes on rollers with the HL in N or they had whizzy kit. I seem to have been unlucky in the UK with the most recent tester insisting on the deceleration meter method. Had this not happened no one Would have known the light comes back on after 200m or so.

Now I have to choose a testing station which will test it in the garage or has a tester with no knowledge of the car at all. Thinking of Kwikfit perhaps.

this is all a proper PITA, especially when on a road with a loose surface you can put the CDL on and the ABS goes off by design.

Yep, ''twas me Dave. Took mine out again today to remind myself. Given it failed the MOT on just the ABS warning light illuminating while on a test drive for brakes, I'm hoping that the re tester doesn't drive it out when he turns the ignition on and sees the ABS self test delay before extinguishing properly. Thing is, the bulbs out method and hot wiring the ABS light to the timing light wont work with hyper vigilant testers who know the cars, so it might fail again on that. I've not had a problem for the 7years or so in France because they tested brakes on rollers with the HL in N or they had whizzy kit. I seem to have been unlucky in the UK with the most recent tester insisting on the deceleration meter method. Had this not happened no one Would have known the light comes back on after 200m or so.

Now I have to choose a testing station which will test it in the garage or has a tester with no knowledge of the car at all. Thinking of Kwikfit perhaps.

this is all a proper PITA, especially when on a road with a loose surface you can put the CDL on and the ABS goes off by design.
Some testers, I think, are nervous putting the 80s on the rolling roads. Most testers, unless they look it up, will not know the quirks of the 80 series. Now that can be good or bad!

Yep if there's a lsd in the rear then the tester will not use the rolling road and take it for a road braking test.

Yep, ''twas me Dave. Took mine out again today to remind myself. Given it failed the MOT on just the ABS warning light illuminating while on a test drive for brakes, I'm hoping that the re tester doesn't drive it out when he turns the ignition on and sees the ABS self test delay before extinguishing properly.

Hmmm not sure what I did there with three quotes?

Thank you @fbnss Yes sorry Mark, the moment I stop concentrating on something it (whatever it was) has gone! I cannot concentrate long enough to go through the various posts/threads before forgetting what I was thinking about, the post op anti epilepsy meds are getting better as am I, fits are now down too between 1 and 3 or 4 seconds, two months ago it would take me an hour to get through a ten minute conversation as I could hardly pronounce my own name!

It is an easy get around by using a courtesy light delay relay , just solder the wires to the bulb, and lay it in the hole insulating it from the OE copper tracks, permanent earth and live from the ignition, many delay relays have an adjustment so get the delay period from someone on this forum, my dashboard is out looking for a speedo at the moment so cannot help you. Using this method the light will come on with the ignition and go out after 'X' time, and stay out while testing driving. There may be another way but I am in no condition to work it all out at the moment. wiring diagrams look like a bowl of spaghetti to me!

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It is an easy get around by using a courtesy light delay relay , just solder the wires to the bulb, and lay it in the hole insulating it from the OE copper tracks, permanent earth and live from the ignition
Ahh, got it now. Thx Dave.

Can someone tell me how to get to the warning light bulbs when necessary.
Thanks.

Take the instrument cluster out and there is a row of bulb holders on the back ..

Loosen the lower part of the dashboard undo a couple of screws in the top half and pull it gently forward, I found it easier to loosen the movement of the dashboard by popping out the various switches and unplugging them, there are IIRC four screws holding the binnacle in place, lower the steering wheel and gently pull the binnacle forward, there are two multiplugs that unclip, it is not difficult, this is for the 94 model (12 valve), earlier models have a speedometer cable that needs releasing, I have not needed to pull the later dashboard out of the 95 or 24 valve model.

Regards

Dave

Back