Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AC Condenser and Dryer Reciever

jordan_sorabjee

Country Flag
kenya
Hi All, I am having to swap out my AC expansion valve. In the process I am going to replace the dryer reciever and condenser. I'm not replacing the compressor or evaporator as they seem fine (and are expensive). I'm happy with the correct qty of R134 to put back in, what is not clear is if I have to add any PAG 46 oil back into the dryer or condenser. I can't find it in the service manual either.

When the system gets vacuumed out, I know an amount of oil comes out too, do I just get the AC guy to put the same amount back in or should there be a specific amount in the dryer and condenser?

This is for a 1996 prado with the dryer receiver separate from the condenser.

Recovering the refrigerant may remove some oil, and this qty should be noted. There are also industry standard qtys that are replaced when components are replaces. A decent ac guy will know theses. Its all a bit of a guess, but isnt super critical, just not way too much or too little.

Get a mobile A/C engineer because thats all he does and so he has a reputation to uphold , in my experience garages that do it as a side line are clueless .

Unfortunately I'm based out in Kenya so I'm not sure there are any genuine experts. Thanks for the help though. I guess I could try and drain all the oil from the dryer and condenser and try to measure it and replace the same amount.

You’ll have trouble getting anything out of those two. I’ll look in my book tomorrow for the recommended amounts.

Unfortunately I'm based out in Kenya so I'm not sure there are any genuine experts. Thanks for the help though. I guess I could try and drain all the oil from the dryer and condenser and try to measure it and replace the same amount.
What is wrong witht the expansion valve?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Dave. Much appreciated. I did find it for the qty for the 80 series, but that wouldnt be any use other than a rough idea. Think it was 10ml for the dryer and 40ml for the condenser (which it says to be added back to the compressor) assume this can just be added back into the system via the regas machine.

So its either getting blocked or starting to fail. Ac works fine then suddenly doesn't. Not linked to outside temp. Thought it needed a re gas but when it took to the local AC guy, he showed me the pressure difference when he was doing it. Said the only possible cause was the expansion valve. He did say it wasn't a common issue.

Autodata says 30ml for the condensor and 12ml for the drier, plus of course what got removed with the gas. Yes the oil can be added by the machine, or you can put it in the components before fitting.

When the ac stops, is the compressor still turning, and what are the pressures when the ac stops and the compressor is still turning? Very rarely is the expansion valve at fault.

Awesome. Thank you.

Yes the compressor is definitely turning when it stops working. I can't remember the pressure but the guy said it was higher than it should be on the high side and lower than it should be on the low side. After he switch the car off it stayed pressurized which is why he said it was the valve. Do you suspect it might be something else?

I would suspect everything before the valve tbh, like freezing inside the drier. But normally if there is a blockage you will see a vacuum on one gauge. Also worth sucking everything out and weighing to check the correct weight as a starting po8nt.

Back