Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice with key activation

gregrsv

Hi
Ive had issues with my keys on the 02 landruiser vx , i bought the vehicle with a non remote grey toyota key ( doesnt fit the glovebox so i'm guessing its a valet key) ive used this key constantly and it's fine and all works.
The remote keys were in a bag with new fobs to be installed , so ive built the keys up , the first key ive tried is the same cut or pattern as my grey key and following internet instructions ive got the central locking and alarm operating , but it still will crank the engine without engine start so the immobiliser isnt liking it!
The other fob key i havent tried yet but being a different cut i thought it might be he wrong key although ive heard the aster is a different cut. i didnt think it would be a remote key though which this is.
Any ideas what i should be doing guys.
cheers
greg

I honestly can't remember much about it but my Mrs had a similar problem with her Rover years ago , we couldn't get a sensible answer from Rover and the internet just offered contradicting advice so in the end we took the car to a fella who specialized in car electrics to have the immobilizer , central locking etc disabled thus making the key just a key in the old fashioned sense . What a sound bloke he turned out to be , on hearing of our problems he just took the key put it in the car door and (for example) turned the key 4 times to the left , then 3 times to the right , then 5 times to the left again , like he was entering a combination on a safe . He handed the keys back to the Mrs saying try it now . Everything worked as it should perfectly ?

I suggest having a read on mud. There are a few threads there, some with recipes for reprogramming for different model years.

I bought new uncut keys from DX, had them cut at a local high-end keysmith (inner milling), swapped over the remote module (containing also the immobiliser responder) from the old key, and have been happy since :)
That's when you have the old module tho'. If not, you have to program the new one into both the engine ecu and the ecu for the door locks.

Back